PDA

View Full Version : A couple of big'uns

Mike Cruz
01-09-2014, 9:53 PM
Well, not trying to out do Bob, but I was told I should post one of these... Well, thought I'd post them both. They are both just roughouts. Won't be able to finish turn them for a while.

First one is some spalted ambrosia maple. 27.5" across. Blank was 107 lbs. when I mounted it to the lathe. Ended up 18.6 lbs.

Mike Cruz
01-09-2014, 9:58 PM
Second one is flaming box elder. Again 27.5" across. Blank was 138 lbs. when I mounted it to the lathe. Ended up 38 lbs.

Steve Mawson
01-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Those are over"big", must have made a big pile of shavings.

Roger Chandler
01-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Very nice work, Mike and some nice wood............do you have a market for such large pieces?

Thomas Heck
01-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Those will make some nice large bowls when finished.

Scott Hackler
01-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Boy those are big. I have a giant silver maple log that the tree trimmer delivered months ago and I haven't gotten to it but I think I could manage a super sized one like these. It wont have the character though.....

In the first set of pictures the last picture would be better if the bowl would have been held 2 feet higher and at least a foot to your left! :)

mike ash
01-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Mike - those are beauties!!!! I look forward to seeing the finished product.....I bet the finished weights will be significantly less! Nice work.

Mike Ash

Mike Cruz
01-10-2014, 7:31 AM
Steve, yeah, the last pic of the Box Elder shows a nice pile!

Roger, I do have a guy that wants one this big in cherry. Now, to find the cherry!

Thanks, Thomas.

Yes, I'm sure you can handle it, Scott! Have at it. Just start with the lathe, um, slooooooooow. I think I started these out at around 180 rpm. Tick.....tick....tick....tick.....

Mike, I'm looking forward to the finished products, too. And I have a feeling you're right about them losing some weight. However, at this size, I think they'll still be heavy...

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-10-2014, 7:47 AM
Great big stuff, Mike. Why would you ever decide to remove the bowl from the blank with a series of plunge cuts. I suppose the answer is because you can but I would think working your way around would be a lot safer.
faust

Peter Blair
01-10-2014, 9:34 AM
Well, I checked this thread because of the title . . . . Not quite what I had hoped to see but still VERY impressive!!
I'm a big chicken and won't turn anything larger than about 15 1/2 inboard and marvel at all of you who go BIG!!!

Jim Burr
01-10-2014, 9:37 AM
Would have been sweet to try to core those...don't drop that sucker on your toe!!

charlie knighton
01-10-2014, 9:39 AM
that is big, thanks for sharing, Mike....enjoy

Bob Bergstrom
01-10-2014, 9:55 AM
Mike, those are really beautiful pieces. They will look outstanding without having to apply any "makeup". You just can't compete with Mother Nature. Now if Leo posts a couple of those Canadian monsters he has turned we will be in for a treat. Can't wait to see these two finished. Thanks for posting them.

Mike Cruz
01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Faust, with all the plunge cuts, you keep all the outside wood in tact for HFs or other turnings. Yeah, not the safest way to cut out a blank if you (not you specifically) aren't comfortable with a chainsaw.

Peter, sorry, TOS say I can't give you what you're hoping for! ;)

Jim, I thought about it. But the AM had been sitting here quite a while (too long actually) and parts were punky and there were some cracks. The largest I can core is 14" and for me, it isn't worth it unless I can get some blanks out of it that I can't otherwise get. When wood is what I call...spectacular...I core (usually burl) or if I want a nested set.

You are certainly welcome, Charlie. Actually, I wasn't going to, but had been asked to. If all goes well with re-turning them, I'll post final pics.

At this stage, I have 5 hours into each turning.

Mark Detrick
01-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Wow, they are going to be a couple awesome bowls.

Ken Glass
01-10-2014, 1:12 PM
Mike,
Those are going to be great looking when finished. I hope you can keep the Red Flame that Red for some time, as they seem to fade for me over time. Looking forwards to the finished turnings.

Mike Cruz
01-10-2014, 2:20 PM
Yeah, Ken, I know. I love how it first looks when turned, but eventually, it simply WILL fade...

Mike Cruz
01-10-2014, 2:22 PM
Bob, as much as I like adding beads and things to bowls, I much more prefer to find wood that has so much character that I don't have to...or no makeup as you say.
C'mon, Leo, let's see some of your monster turnings!

Tim Rinehart
01-10-2014, 3:03 PM
Mike, You should be ashamed of yourself, reducing that huge piece of wood to mere chips and only a bowl to show for it. Why, do you know how many spin tops one could have made from that, the number of smiling kiddos to boot. When's the last time you saw a kid smile when given a bowl??:p
Ok...I'm impressed. I hope when I get around to making it up for a visit sometime that you've got a similar piece to turn. Look forward to seeing when finished. Superb work!

Mike Cruz
01-10-2014, 3:47 PM
Of course, you are always welcome to drop by, Tim. If/when you do, put aside 5 hours...that's how long it takes me to rough one of these out. BTW, I have two more blanks (one of each of the kinds of woods shown) to still turn in the same sizes! :D

Maria Alvarado
01-10-2014, 4:17 PM
Ho-lee cow, Mike! I like big bowls and I cannot lie. Those are really nice and must have been and adventure to turn!! What's the swing on your lathe?

Eric Gourieux
01-10-2014, 4:29 PM
Mike, those are beauties. What kind of lathe do you have?

Regarding the "5 hours into each turning" - I think only fellow turners appreciate the time we invest in these pieces!

robert baccus
01-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Super bowls yeah. And killer wood--. Might try selling those to a restaurant or country club. Good reminder that rpm and wood speed differ greatly.

Rich Aldrich
01-11-2014, 5:41 AM
Those are huge! Nice wood. Good work. One question.. where do you store a bowl that large?

Mike Cruz
01-11-2014, 7:30 AM
Maria, yes, they can certainly beat you up! And what a pleasant feeling when you go from tick...tick...tick to flying curlies. My lathe swing is 28" inboard. But I don't have outboard capabilities. So, 28" is my max. Both of these blanks started off at 28"...baaaaaaarely not touching the ways.

Eric, my lathe is a "homemade" version. The bed is a PM4224 extension bed. The headstock, tailstock, and banjo were made by Jeff Nicol (actually made for/to be for a bowl lathe). I had to mount the headstock to the bed, mount the motor, mount and get the VFD hooked up (had a fellow Creeker set up the VFD), make the remote switch, and paint the whole thing. I've got a thread on it here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201329-Nicol-Cruz-lathe-completed&highlight= Hehe, and yeah, 5 hours in...that is just for roughing it out! I usually figure on twice the time of roughing for re-turning and sanding. So, I'm expecting to have easily 15+ hours into each of these.

Robert, good idea about the restaurant or country club. We've got a lot of both around here. I might give that a try!

Rich, good question... Yeah, well, I've got wire shelving attached to the wall for drying blanks that have soaked in DNA. The top shelf has enough "head room" to accommodate the big'uns. So, that's where they are "drying" now. Once they are done...that'll be another story. :eek: Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it.