PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive jointers on CL

Steve Gojevic
01-09-2014, 4:11 PM
I'm looking at a few inexpensive ($100 or less)jointers on CL.

Some time in the future I will probably buy a bigger unit but for now I would like to use one for the face frames for kitchen cabinets I am building. Therefore it doesn't have to be very big. I figure I will use the small one and then sell it in the future when I get a better (used) one. The prices for better units jump quickly on CL here so for now I can't afford one.

Here are 2 units:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4238340885.html

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4213171653.html

What do you think?

I believe the Craftsman unit doesn't have an adjustable outfeed table but is 6" wide.

The Rockwell looks like it has an adjustable outfeed table but is only 4" wide.

Steve

Andrew Fleck
01-09-2014, 4:23 PM
I wouldn't be very concerned about the adjustable outfeed table. I would more concerned with the flatness of both the beds and the fences. I would take a good straight edge to both units to determine flatness and also check the bearings in both. Bearings are something to consider as new ones could bring additional expense and time. If it were me I would be more inclined to go the Rockwell route as it is my personal opinion that they are built a little better than the Craftsman line, even though it's a smaller jointer. Good luck with it.

David Tiell
01-09-2014, 4:26 PM
Make sure you check the table alighnments and all before buying. But for the limited use you are talking about, I would go for the Rockwell if it is in good condition over the Craftsman. I just trust the quality on it better than Craftsman, and if it doesn't have an adjustable outfeed (I've never heard of a jointer that doesn't, but I don't know everything, either), you could be working a VERY long time depending on the depth of cut and the condition of the material you are working.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Garrett Ellis
01-09-2014, 5:05 PM
FYI, don't know if you have space restrictions, but jointers like the rockwell you are looking at do not have a motor integral to the jointer. You can see the pulley on the back side. He says he's got the motor/stand, and it probably will look something like this when assembled:

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/reviews/18102.jpg

(ok, so maybe not that nice, but just showing it is not really a 'benchtop' jointer)

Steve Gojevic
01-09-2014, 5:19 PM
FYI, don't know if you have space restrictions, but jointers like the rockwell you are looking at do not have a motor integral to the jointer. You can see the pulley on the back side. He says he's got the motor/stand, and it probably will look something like this when assembled:

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/reviews/18102.jpg

(ok, so maybe not that nice, but just showing it is not really a 'benchtop' jointer)

Thanks for the picture.

I don't have space restrictions as much as $$ restrictions right now.

I am leaning toward the Rockwell because, as others have pointed out in the above posts, Rockwell should be a better built unit than Craftsman.

The seller is asking $115 or BO. I will probably offer $90 and see where it goes.

Steve

John TenEyck
01-09-2014, 8:07 PM
If the tables are parallel, and he has a motor and stand for the Rockwell, you can't go wrong for $100. If your need is for faceframes, 4" is plenty.

John

Judson Green
01-09-2014, 8:36 PM
I've got an older version (Delta) of the 4" jointer your considering. Though I don't use it much (I'm mostly a hand tool user) when i need it to it does a fine job. Keep in mind it is small. Only ~24" overall length. There is other ways to straight edge a board. If your thinking of getting this just to clean up saw marks perhaps you may want to think about a simple paint scraper.

Just my 2¢

Richard Coers
01-09-2014, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't be very concerned about the adjustable outfeed table. I would more concerned with the flatness of both the beds and the fences. I would take a good straight edge to both units to determine flatness and also check the bearings in both. Bearings are something to consider as new ones could bring additional expense and time. If it were me I would be more inclined to go the Rockwell route as it is my personal opinion that they are built a little better than the Craftsman line, even though it's a smaller jointer. Good luck with it.

You ever replaced blades on one of these without an adjustable out feed? You would be a lot more concerned if you had. I had one 40 years ago, They are a horrible POS. Buy that Rockwell if it checks out. There won't be any parts available if it needs any.

Myk Rian
01-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Just FYI and pricing info, I sold this one for $125.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/MykRian/Delta%2037-290%20jointer/20130514_1328330_zpsd9048c97.jpg

Judson Green
01-10-2014, 1:54 AM
You ever replaced blades on one of these without an adjustable out feed? You would be a lot more concerned if you had. I had one 40 years ago, They are a horrible POS. Buy that Rockwell if it checks out. There won't be any parts available if it needs any.

Haven't looked in a while but it seemed that you could practically build one with all the parts on the bay.

HANK METZ
01-10-2014, 8:18 AM
Rockwell/ Delta used to sell a combo machine with an 8" tablesaw and a 4" jointer mounted side by side, it was very popular with cabinetmakers since it met their needs perfectly. I'd do the Rockwell, going in at $75 after doing a bit of a dance with a straight edge, checking surfaces, and mumbling about having to assemble this "kit". ;)

James White
01-10-2014, 8:42 AM
What about the panels on your cabinets? Will they be plywood? I would wait for something better to come along and increase the budget just a bit. You should be able to get in under $200 and have something to keep. The Craftsman is gamble. But if you get lucky it could be good. The Rockwell is just downright small and not very useful beyond your face frame project. An essential tool like a jointer deserves a budget a bit fatter than $100. Just my opinion of coarse. The Ridgid jointers have a good reputation and they where sold new for as little as $300.

James

Andrew Fleck
01-10-2014, 8:51 AM

Actually I have and do. My other jointer is a small 4" Walker Turner that was made in the 30's. Neither the outfeed nor the infeed table adjust at all. Height changes are made via a removable steel plate that can be positioned on either the infeed or the outfeed table. I have no issues setting or replacing blades on it.

Parts are readily available for lots of Rockwell machinery. Just search around Ebay or check out OWWM classifieds section.

Mike Olson
01-10-2014, 4:01 PM
Uh, oh, competition for good cheap tools on craigslist in my area... :(

Steve Gojevic
01-20-2014, 7:31 AM
Yesterday I went to see the 4" Rockwell jointer and bought it for $100.

The stand was a homemade one and seems to work fine.

The motor is apparently not the original but it works. I just need to replace the cord which has a few craks in the insulation. The motor is a old westinghouse unit and is so quiet and smooth it's hard to tell it's running.

The jointer tables were flat and coplanar and the fence was square to both tables.

Last night I took it apart. It hadn't been used in a while but it was very clean. The tables moved smoothly, accurately and without play. The bearings were like new with no play. The knives had no nicks and seem sharp. Everything about the unit seems overbuilt, which is good.

Two questions I have:

1) What lubricant do you use for the fence angle mechanism and the table sliding mechanism? I assume you don't want any petroleum-based stuff because it could get on the wood. I cleaned off the old stuff with mineral spirits and right now there is no lubricant on the fence mechanism.

2) I downloaded a copy of the Delta owners manual for what appears to be the same unit as my Rockwell. It shows the two pulleys as approximately the same size. My jointer has a 2 3/4" pulley on the jointer and a 6" pulley on the motor, which is approximately a 2x speed increase on the jointer. The picture Garrett posted of the jointer also shows a large pulley on the motor similar in size to mine. Any ideas on what the speed should be on the jointer?

Thanks
Steve

Judson Green
01-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Yesterday I went to see the 4" Rockwell jointer and bought it for $100.

The stand was a homemade one and seems to work fine.

The motor is apparently not the original but it works. I just need to replace the cord which has a few craks in the insulation. The motor is a old westinghouse unit and is so quiet and smooth it's hard to tell it's running.

The jointer tables were flat and coplanar and the fence was square to both tables.

Last night I took it apart. It hadn't been used in a while but it was very clean. The tables moved smoothly, accurately and without play. The bearings were like new with no play. The knives had no nicks and seem sharp. Everything about the unit seems overbuilt, which is good.

Two questions I have:

1) What lubricant do you use for the fence angle mechanism and the table sliding mechanism? I assume you don't want any petroleum-based stuff because it could get on the wood. I cleaned off the old stuff with mineral spirits and right now there is no lubricant on the fence mechanism.

2) I downloaded a copy of the Delta owners manual for what appears to be the same unit as my Rockwell. It shows the two pulleys as approximately the same size. My jointer has a 2 3/4" pulley on the jointer and a 6" pulley on the motor, which is approximately a 2x speed increase on the jointer. The picture Garrett posted of the jointer also shows a large pulley on the motor similar in size to mine. Any ideas on what the speed should be on the jointer?

Thanks
Steve

Congrats on the jointer! I think you will enjoy it.

1) You could go dry (as in no lube) or use my favorite (just cause I always have it in the shop) parriffin wax (groc store) also great to use on the table surface and fence, helps the wood to slide over the surface. Could use graphite, but I think that's over kill. The graphite is a powder. Other wise at your local hardware store in the lube section you'll fine lots of different "dry" lubes.

2) mine also has a pulley on the motor that twice the size of the one on the cutter head. If your motor is about 1750 RPM its fine leave, it alone. If your motor is the 3500 RPM variety then your pulleys should be the same size.

As I said before I don't really use mine that much but I've had good luck honing the blades while in the cutter head, didn't take them out of the cutter head. definitely unplug the machine. And if ya can lock the cutter head somehow, keep it from moving while your trying to sharpen, you'll get better results.

Good luck

Curt Harms
01-21-2014, 8:04 AM
For lube, how about Johnson's paste wax or similar? You could apply it to the beds too.

Jason White
01-22-2014, 1:11 AM
If you can lay your hands on a new or used 6" RIDGID, grab it. It's a wonderful little jointer! I have a Delta DJ-20 now, but there are still times I miss that little bugger. ;)

I'm looking at a few inexpensive ($100 or less)jointers on CL.

Some time in the future I will probably buy a bigger unit but for now I would like to use one for the face frames for kitchen cabinets I am building. Therefore it doesn't have to be very big. I figure I will use the small one and then sell it in the future when I get a better (used) one. The prices for better units jump quickly on CL here so for now I can't afford one.

Here are 2 units:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4238340885.html

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4213171653.html

What do you think?

I believe the Craftsman unit doesn't have an adjustable outfeed table but is 6" wide.

The Rockwell looks like it has an adjustable outfeed table but is only 4" wide.

Steve

James White
01-22-2014, 8:42 AM
Here is a good specimen that does not help you. But they do pop up.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/4259284705.html