PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get there. Bookcase close to finished

Mike Cutler
06-12-2005, 5:09 PM
I've been working on a "little" home project for the last year or so, and I'm almost finished. The recent heat wave we're having here in CT is inhibiting me from being able to apply the finish without streaking. Oh well, I still have to top to finish so there's time, also have all th e fine tuning to do.
The Bookcase is 83" high by 105" long, and 23" wide at the widest point. It will frame a window in the house ,in the library with the smaller shelf that was the inspiration for this one. Both projects attribute their design influence to the piece "Making Waves" by C Michael Vogt, in the book "In the Craftsman Style".
My shop is 19' long, and this project required everybit of that length, as a matter of fact, the actual length was determined by the distance from the back of the TS blade to the wall. It just made it on the front end of the blade also.
Here it is, I've been waiting for 7 months to see this in this shape, and thought I'd share it with ya'll. Thanks for looking.
Sorry for the mess, it's to big to assemble in the shop so it's in the garage right now. hope this heat and humidity end soon, so I can finally bring it in the house.

Larry Reimer
06-12-2005, 5:30 PM
Mike, that is a really nice looking piece. Very well done. May I ask what type of wood was used? Thank you.

Carl Eyman
06-12-2005, 5:32 PM
Beautiful Work, Mike

Karl Laustrup
06-12-2005, 5:32 PM
WOW!! That is humungus, Mike.

I can't see where it comes apart for moving, so does it? It's got to weigh a bunch also. What kind of wood is it?

In any case it's very impressive. Please be sure and post pics when it is finished and in it's new home.

Karl

Jay Knoll
06-12-2005, 5:38 PM
Mike

That is wonderful, I look forward to seeing in in its final location.

Von Bickley
06-12-2005, 5:42 PM
Mike,
Great looking project... That one will make you PROUD. :) :) :)

Mike Cutler
06-12-2005, 5:45 PM
What a misfire :rolleyes:
Larry. The wood is Jatoba ( Brazillian Cherry) and the tusk tenons are Mopane.
Karl. Believe it or not, the entire piece can be disassembled, and you are right. It is very heavy :eek:
The construction is almost all M&T joints of various types. There are over 400 M&T joints in the project.The upright shelves attach to the top with knockdown plates, and the vertical support, interior, pieces on the lower carcas are actually 3 seperate pieces with 1/4-20 threaded rods that bolts them together. Compensating for expansion and contraction was a lot of the project. However, starting it last summer, then working thru the early winter, and recomencing in the spring hopefully showed me all of the expected wood movement. The top and lower shelves will expand and contract about a full 1/4" across the width depending on humidity. Thanks fo rthe response fellas

Jim Becker
06-12-2005, 5:59 PM
That's really neat, Mike. Knock-down is something none of us do enough of, either. It can be quite practical in so many ways...as as you've proven, attractive, too.

Todd Davidson
06-12-2005, 8:34 PM
Well thought out and beautifully done Mike.

Bob Marino
06-13-2005, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=Mike Cutler]What a misfire :rolleyes:

The construction is almost all M&T joints of various types. There are over 400 M&T joints in the project.

Over 400 M & T joints :eek: Wow!
This looks great. What stain and topcoat did you use?

Bob

Pete Rowley
06-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Mike, that is fantastic. You have created a fine piece of furniture and in a space not much bigger than it! Superb.

Mike Cutler
06-13-2005, 5:00 AM
Bob. The only finish is, General Finishes "Seal A Cell" and General Finishes "Arm R Seal" Gloss. Both are essentially wipe on varnishes, and are very easy and predictable to apply. This was why I knew the heat and humidity were too high when I started having problems. These products are almost "idiot proof", of course there is that quote about "Never underestimate the ingenuity of a fool".
The brazillian cherry, in my opinion, finishes very nicely when it is done "natural". The grain and color are very pleasing. The project has an almost cinnamon color right now, and in a few weeks it will bring out some nice red highlights. It's a good thing it finishes nicely on it's own, 'cause finish work is not exactly my forte.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-13-2005, 6:35 AM
That's impressive! :eek:

KC

Jeff Sudmeier
06-13-2005, 8:18 AM
Mike that looks great!

Be sure to post pics when it is "installed"

Kelly C. Hanna
06-13-2005, 8:34 AM
Very nice...I love the design! Jatoba is a very hard wood right? Sure looks good finished.

Dave Avery
06-13-2005, 9:28 AM
Very nice design and execution, Mike.

Jason Tuinstra
06-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Outstanding!!! This is a real head turner. I can totally see why you can't wait to get this in place and start using it. The knock-down feature is a real bonus. Thanks for sharing. Feel free to post some pic's when it's installed.