PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with laser power (Spirit GX)

Karim Jafarmadar
01-09-2014, 4:36 AM
Hi all!

We recently have a really strange problem with our GCC Spirit GX (40 Watt, 2.5 years old). It suddenly happens (more and more often) that the output power seems to go away and its not possible to cut with previously working settings anymore. Sometimes restarting the machine (or the computer) helps to get the power back again and the same settings work again (so i am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the optics). Sometimes doing an engraving job and then going back to the cutting job works to get the power back. But I couldn't yet find any way to even pin down the error more exactly.

Does any of you guys had something similar already or has someone any idea what this could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers
karim

Dan Hintz
01-09-2014, 4:32 PM
Sounds like either your tube or your PS is starting to go south... I'd suspect your tube.

Karim Jafarmadar
01-10-2014, 9:38 AM
hmm ... I've read a lot in this forums about problems on the RF boards (broken caps, etc.). Could it be something like that or wouldn't it work at all in this case? Is it worth to open up the tube to check for any visible problems? With PS you mean the (external) power supply of the tube I guess(?)

Dan Hintz
01-10-2014, 1:07 PM
As caps start to dry out, the RF section can't keep resonance, so the tube slowly dies.

Karim Jafarmadar
01-10-2014, 1:52 PM
I see... This tube has about 5000 hours running time, is it plausible that it fails after such a (short) period? Is there something one can do to make it last longer?

Dan Hintz
01-10-2014, 3:33 PM
[QUOTE=Karim Jafarmadar;2207004is it plausible that it fails after such a (short) period?

Is there something one can do to make it last longer?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

Very little. You can often extend life by not running it under extreme environmental conditions, using it regularly rather than sporadically, etc. but there's nothing above and beyond that will really do much for it. Just being in use will wear out electrical components... sometimes you get a long-runner, sometimes you get a lemon. All it takes is for one component to go south before everything takes a trip with it.