PDA

View Full Version : Roughcut Inlay question

Joe McMahon
01-09-2014, 12:26 AM
I was watching Roughcut with Tommy Mac. The episode was on inlaid federal table legs. Tommy cut bell flowers and inlaid them into a leg. He mentioned that he used a 7-20 carving gouge to cut the petals and also to cut the leg. The problem is that his legs have three sets of petals with the largest (7-20) on top and then a smaller size set of petals below that followed by and even smaller set of petals. He never says the size of gouge used to cut the progressively smaller pieces. On the show they claim that there is a list of tools on their web site. I went there and clicked on gouges and was just taken to Woodcraft's site with no particular gouges ever identified.

Does anyone have an idea of the size of the smaller gouges used?

Also he used a "leather punch" to pierce a circle in the leg and then to cut a piece of veneer to put in the hole. I don't see how the same tool can cut the hole as well as the veneer since the thickness of the wall of the tool would show when you put the veneer into the evacuated space, no?

Jim Koepke
01-09-2014, 1:31 AM
Maybe someone more in tune with inlay and gouges will come along soon.

My answers are based on guessing.

First guess is the 7-20 carving gouge is the European designation for a gouge with a 7 sweep and 20mm wide.

Second guess is the smaller petals can be made with the same gouge just a smaller profile.

Third guess is the leather tool is sharp inside and out. There would be a very small difference between the inside and out side diameter. Often with an inside bevel on a leather punch the dot (inside of the tool) is compressed due to the bevel. It likely expands when pushed out. These expansions and compressions are in the thousandths of an inch.

Some web sites are problematic when it comes to having a link for a particular program. Some really nice content dies online because it is difficult to earn any money to pay someone to keep the site content working.

jtk

Joe McMahon
01-09-2014, 9:14 AM
Thanks Jim, that was my guess as well regarding the gouges.

Joe