PDA

View Full Version : Central Vacuum System

Duane Reynolds
01-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Anyone out there have any opinions on having a basement dust collection system do double duty by connecting it to a whole house central vacuum system?

Ole Anderson
01-09-2014, 8:55 AM
Are you asking about using your dust collector on the bag side of your central vac, or using your DC as a central vac or using your central vac as a dust collector? Not understanding the question. But my short answer to any scenario I can come up with is: don't do it. Hey, I see this is your first post, welcome to the Creek!:cool:

Brian Elfert
01-09-2014, 10:02 AM
The actual motorized part of a central vacuum isn't that expensive. You can get them for about $300 if you shop around. The piping, outlets, and the power head with accessories will probably cost as much as the unit.

I don't know if you would want to use a dust collector for a vacuum as it could be pretty restricted by the 1.5" pipe used for central vacuum.

David Weaver
01-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Need something with more static pressure than a dust collector. Central vac systems have always seemed to me like a complicated and expensive solution to a simple and cheap-to-solve problem.

Lee Schierer
01-09-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't think you would get good results using a dust collector as a central vacuum system. The dust collector uses high flow at a low static pressure and the vacuum system uses a much higher static pressure. I installed a central vacuum system in our house and have no regrets. It works well and has never clogged. After about 10 years the original motor burned out and I had to replace the vacuum unit. I used a Drain Vac unit sold by ThinkVacuums.com and it has performed much better than our original Hoover unit and is quieter as well. As noted by others the piping and accessories like the hose and beater unit will cost as much as the central vacuum itself.

dennis thompson
01-09-2014, 6:07 PM
I called the company who made our central vac and they recommended against it.

Larry Edgerton
01-09-2014, 6:50 PM
Need something with more static pressure than a dust collector. Central vac systems have always seemed to me like a complicated and expensive solution to a simple and cheap-to-solve problem.

Central vacs are exhausted outside so you do not have to worry about catching all of the fine dust because its the chipmunks problem. They are great for people with allergies. Most of the houses I build get them. They are quiet and most of the better ones have a lot of suction.

That being said, I do not have one in my house.:p

Larry

Nike Nihiser
01-10-2014, 8:21 AM
Hey Duane,
Welcome to SMC. I don't really have an opinion. Let us know which way you go on this.

Greg Peterson
01-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm surprised Duane. Every wood worker knows the adage, 'Use the right tool for the job.' DC and vacuums operate on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Could you get the DC to work? Perhaps. But you would be better off installing a central vac unit. Installing the plumbing can be a bit tricky so you probably want to limit the number of times you have to install/configure it.

I installed one several years ago. No regrets. YMMV.