PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever look at the sub-forums?

matthew knott
01-08-2014, 6:02 PM
Does anyone ever look at the sub-forums? I dont, didn't even know it was there, I posted about a UK show where visitors can see loads of lasers all in one place in the UK, and it got moved, probably to a more relevant place but I'm betting no one will ever read it, in which case not much point in posting it :confused: which is a shame because i thought it would be quite relevant !

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-08-2014, 6:07 PM
A quick scan to the top of this forum list will show if the date has changed in the sub-forum. If I see a date has changed, then I will go and look at what has been posted. Otherwise, since there is not much activity in the sub-forum, I rarely go in and look around.

David Somers
01-08-2014, 6:42 PM
Matthew,

To be honest, I am not sure I have looked there at all. I had seen your thread before it got moved but didnt notice that it had migrated yet.

Now that you have pointed it out to me I will try to be like Mike and watch the date on that listing. But I would guess not many look there. I tend to look at the engraver forum when I am on hold or waiting for something to run at the office. So I don't get many chances to go much beyond the basic forum entry.

I would love to go to this show. But I was wondering if you could provide an account number for my travel there? It is a modest trip from Seattle you know. I would be happy to bring you some Salmon or perhaps a couple of fresh geoducks in exchange?? <grin>

Dave

matthew knott
01-08-2014, 7:31 PM
I had to google geoducks, not what i expected! I suspect there are quite a few shows in the USA but we dont get that many here being a little Island, getting small all the time right now as half of it is flooded, alas no spare flight tickets form Seattle :(

David Somers
01-08-2014, 7:41 PM
Oh well Matthew! Maybe next year!!!

Hope the storms don't do too much more damage to you guys. Been watching that on the news. Yoweeeeeee! That is some scary weather you are getting on the coasts. If you find yourself coming to the US for some show or course or event and will be in the Seattle area give me a holler! Happy to help out if I can. We have room at the house and are not far from the airport. And Seattle is a pretty neat place. The Pacific Northwest in general is pretty special right on up through British Columbia, Canada.

Dave

Keith Outten
01-09-2014, 9:26 AM
Does anyone ever look at the sub-forums? I dont, didn't even know it was there, I posted about a UK show where visitors can see loads of lasers all in one place in the UK, and it got moved, probably to a more relevant place but I'm betting no one will ever read it, in which case not much point in posting it :confused: which is a shame because i thought it would be quite relevant !

Matthew,

When we started SawMill Creek it was decided that we would archive threads saving them because they were valuable to everyone, in particular the younger woodworkers who would join us in later years.

Threads that contain time sensitive information like shows and such are only valuable until the event is over. Allowing tens of thousands of these threads to remain in our archives would destroy our search capability.

In the past we moved these threads to the Off Topic Forum but people did not like having to go outside of their favorite forum to read event information. So we created sub-forums to keep the event information as close to the primary forum as possible. This allows our Staff to cleanup old threads easily, we cannot possibly keep up with these types of threads when they are included in our primary forums.

If you use the New Threads search feature it will include the sub-forums automatically.

Our last option is to automatically delete all threads at a predefined time, some forum owners delete threads after 30 days which saves storage space and removes the work required to clean up forums. I don't like this option because I feel that the information we archive is valuable, particularly when a Member of our Community passes away. Everything that is shared is preserved for all to enjoy, after all most people spend a lot of time preparing the information and pictures for the threads they create.

I hope this helps you understand why this policy is so important here.

Keith Outten
01-09-2014, 9:42 AM
Those of you who are new here take some time to look around. There is an incredible number of talented people here and you would be surprised how much you can learn from other people that would enhance your laser engraving skills. Take your blinders off, the worst that could happen is that you might enjoy yourself and learn.

Dan Hintz
01-09-2014, 4:35 PM
Keith, perhaps an option might be (if Aaron has the time to program it) to set a "destroy by" date on threads like that. The option is only selectable by a mod, but instead of moving to a different (sub)forum, the thread goes away after 30, 60, 90 days, etc.

Keith Outten
01-09-2014, 8:59 PM
Dan,

Aaron can provide the programing for a destroy by date option but the next time we upgrade vBulletin the code will be overwritten. This has happened so many times we stopped making custom changes because it ends up taking hours and hours to restore the hacks. It gets worse, the last upgrade was a total re-write of the code so a boatload of things had to be fixed right away when we brought vBulletin back online.

Remember the really nice search function Aaron created. Everyone liked the features he provided and we had to scrap it because after an upgrade it would have had to be totally re-written and I can't afford the programing costs every time we upgrade. I like vBulletin generally speaking but there are some things that are a royal pain to deal with.