PDA

View Full Version : Acryfil

Steve McKee
01-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know if Acryfil will work on wood?

Thanks,
Steve

Dan Hintz
01-08-2014, 4:02 PM
Why would you use a specialized, expensive paint for a pedestrian substrate like wood? I just clearcoat the engraving first, the fill with whatever color looks good.

David Somers
01-08-2014, 4:22 PM
Mr Hintz! Wood? A pedestrian substrate?? For shame.....for shame!!!! And you own a wood lathe too!!! Thems is the shavings of the gods!!!!!

<teasing grin>

Richard Rumancik
01-08-2014, 7:19 PM
Steve, as you probably know the paint is sold for reverse-filling acrylic but it might work fine for paint filling on the front surface - you'll probably just have to experiment. The success really depends on the type of engraving you are filling. If it has large open recesses it may not fill that well, in which case I would recommend a spray product. But for fine text and "line" drawings it may be fine. You will probably want to seal the wood with something first. Let us know (or see) the results if you decide to try it.

Dan - $14.50 for 8 oz doesn't seem that excessive. If he has it around, why not try to use it? A lot of people prefer wood products over acrylic. I don't think you will see too much high-end acrylic furniture. A decorated solid wood plaque or box has wide appeal.

Dan Hintz
01-09-2014, 4:24 PM
Dan - $14.50 for 8 oz doesn't seem that excessive. If he has it around, why not try to use it? A lot of people prefer wood products over acrylic. I don't think you will see too much high-end acrylic furniture. A decorated solid wood plaque or box has wide appeal.

I couldn't make the assumption he only needed it for one item, so I wanted to point him towards a more economical solution. No idea what you mean with the rest of the comment... I have no issues with either wood or acrylic. My point was simply not to use a more expensive, specialized product when it wasn't warranted.

Richard Rumancik
01-10-2014, 6:51 PM
. . . No idea what you mean with the rest of the comment... I have no issues with either wood or acrylic. My point was simply not to use a more expensive, specialized product when it wasn't warranted.

I don't think I was subtle . . . just wondering why you were disparaging wood in your original post. If wood is "pedestrian", then acrylic (which is the intended use of the paint) must be otherwise - as in "high end" - and I was just saying I didn't agree . . .

One lesson that I have learned is that the cheapest solution is often the material which I already have on hand. Doesn't matter if it is a somewhat "premium" product. I have had many expensive adhesives and paints go bad only because of their shelf life. In fact I had an expensive set of acrylic paints harden in the containers as I did not use them right away. If you take into account the cost of buying another product, shipping, time spent searching and ordering, etc. often it would be better to just use the product already stocked.

Dan Hintz
01-10-2014, 8:47 PM
I don't think I was subtle . . . just wondering why you were disparaging wood in your original post. If wood is "pedestrian", then acrylic (which is the intended use of the paint) must be otherwise - as in "high end" - and I was just saying I didn't agree . . .

I think you misunderstood my post. I was certainly not disparaging wood (I am a woodturner, after all). What I was trying to say (and obviously failed) was it didn't make sense to me to use a paint "upgraded" specifically to be used on acrylic on a piece of wood that would not receive the extra benefits paid for with the paint "upgrade". Again, I couldn't make the assumption this was a one-off project, so I was trying to lean the OP away from spending extra money on a product that he will receive no more benefit from than using a much cheaper basic paint.

I honestly can't make my intentions any more clear that...