PDA

View Full Version : California Earthquakes

Jerry Clark
06-12-2005, 12:01 PM
If you are interested-- California does have a few earthquakes-- here is a site for the information-- http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/latest.htm

At 8:40 AM there was a 6.0 earthquake about 70 miles east from where I live and it shook the house pretty good. May be damage in the Idlewild area.

Karl Laustrup
06-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, my mom just called and said it shook her up pretty good in Hemet. Just knocked a couple of pictures off a end table. Does'nt appear to be any other damage as of this time, at least to her house.

Thank goodness. We're in the process of selling her house so she can come back and live with us. Don't need the house destroyed before she can sell it.

Mike Ramsey
06-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Karl, my MIL lives in Hemet, guess we had better call and check on her..

Karl Laustrup
06-12-2005, 4:50 PM
What a coincidence, Mike. My mom lives in Panorama Village. Maybe your MIL knows my mom, Alice Ott? Hope all is well with your MIL.

Karl

Chris Padilla
06-13-2005, 5:26 PM
6.0??? ~*Y A W N*~ ;)

j/k...didn't feel it here in the good old BA...hope everthing is fine.

Don Baer
06-13-2005, 6:30 PM
Actually Chris it was Only a 5.6. It was about 70 miles south of me. I felt it but it wasn't a big deal.

;)

Mike Parzych
06-13-2005, 8:43 PM
Quite frankly, I don't know how you folks manage to live there. Here in WI we are able to RUN AWAY from natural disasters. 2 days ago a tornado did $4 million dollars of damage about 8 miles from here, but it didn't even rain here.

I don't believe you can outrun an earthquake.

Vaughn McMillan
06-13-2005, 8:53 PM
I slept through the Sunday shaker, but LOML and MIL both felt it. If it doesn't shake me out of bed, it just doesn't get my attention anymore. (I was about 10 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake in 1994. That one caught my attention in a big way.)

Glad there were no apparent injuries Sunday and any damage appeared to be minor.

- Vaughn

Jerry Clark
06-13-2005, 10:06 PM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 189232" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Chris Padilla</TD><TD class=alt2>6.0??? ~*Y A W N*~ ;)

j/k...didn't feel it here in the good old BA...hope everthing is fine.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Chris, I agree that a 5.6 quake is not much to get concerned about-:rolleyes: - but when it starts shaking you never know how bad it will be and may be a 5 here and 7 or 8 somewhere else. We all know that a big one can, and probably will, be in our California yard. :(

Lee DeRaud
06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Quite frankly, I don't know how you folks manage to live there. Here in WI we are able to RUN AWAY from natural disasters. 2 days ago a tornado did $4 million dollars of damage about 8 miles from here, but it didn't even rain here.

I don't believe you can outrun an earthquake.You can't outrun a tornado either: all you can do is hope it doesn't chase you.

Frank Hagan
06-13-2005, 11:53 PM
I slept through the Sunday shaker, but LOML and MIL both felt it. If it doesn't shake me out of bed, it just doesn't get my attention anymore. (I was about 10 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake in 1994. That one caught my attention in a big way.)
- Vaughn

Did you wake up in the air, or when you landed? :eek:

That was a bad one; I had a friend in Studio City who woke up in the air, thinking "This is not quite right ..."

I didn't even feel this one out here in Oxnard. In contrast, when I lived in Riverside, about the same distance from Northridge as it is from this quake to me now, I REALLY felt that one. These 6.0 quakes don't even register unless they are close.

Michael Perata
06-14-2005, 5:44 PM
Mike
Running from an earthquake is very easy. Simply walk outside. I have lived through maybe 500 earthquakes that were noticable and not once did I walk outside and meet a tornado coming at me. ;)

James Mahoney
06-15-2005, 1:15 AM
:D Can you folks on the West Coast please keep the shaking down alittle. We Pacific Islanders surely don't need a Tsunami coming our why. With all fun put aside Everyone be safe. Kimo>>>>>

Chris Padilla
06-15-2005, 2:21 AM

Mike, one deals with whatever Mother Nature throws at ya. You get 100s of tornadoes a year...serious earthquakes are usually decades apart. Now don't get me started with landslides here...that is just greedy developers and poor locations and/or inappropriate action taken to prevent or minimize the impact from.... :rolleyes:

Michael Perata
06-15-2005, 2:48 AM
Well, Jerry started this thread off talking about a puny little ol' 6.0 out in the desert.

We just had a 7.0 go off about 70 miles west of Eureka earlier this evening. It was a slip strike quake so no tsunami, even though a warning went up.

Chris - 10 years, maybe not. :o

Chris Padilla
06-15-2005, 3:20 AM
Mike,

I had that Tsunami warning flashing across the TV and I was like, "Huh?" Then I saw where the earthquake was (San Andreas fault I'm pretty sure...needs some relief I think) and I was like, "Oh..." :)

Lee DeRaud
06-15-2005, 9:44 AM
I had that Tsunami warning flashing across the TV and I was like, "Huh?"I had the same reaction, for a different reason: down here the warning was for the Orange County beaches, so I assumed there was a big quake down in Mexico or South America. Didn't hear about the Eureka quake until this thread.