PDA

View Full Version : Miller Dowels for Drawer Assembly?

Rick Thompson34
01-08-2014, 8:41 AM
Considering buying the Miller Mini-X Dowel bit and dowels to assemble the drawers in a nightstand project I'm currently building. It seems like a decent joint and somewhat attractive with the option of selecting dowels to match the primary wood and contrast the color of the drawer sides.

Just thought I'd see if others have used the Miller system for drawers and what the consensus is on their usefulness.

Rick

Steve Rozmiarek
01-08-2014, 9:45 AM
I've never tried them because they look to me like a waste of time. Can't see how a regular dowel wouldn't be just as strong. However, I may be missing something, curious what your thread yields.

Jamie Buxton
01-08-2014, 10:20 AM
I've used Miller dowels for drawers. They work well.

Jason White
01-08-2014, 11:52 AM
I've used them for all kinds of stuff and they're great! Just be aware that any stain or clear finish will make them turn darker than the rest of your project because of the end grain.

Considering buying the Miller Mini-X Dowel bit and dowels to assemble the drawers in a nightstand project I'm currently building. It seems like a decent joint and somewhat attractive with the option of selecting dowels to match the primary wood and contrast the color of the drawer sides.

Just thought I'd see if others have used the Miller system for drawers and what the consensus is on their usefulness.

Rick

Jason White
01-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Unlike regular dowels, they're stepped and tapered, so they wedge themselves in with just a couple of whacks with a mallet. You almost don't need any glue (though I'd still recommend using glue).

I've never tried them because they look to me like a waste of time. Can't see how a regular dowel wouldn't be just as strong. However, I may be missing something, curious what your thread yields.

Rick Potter
01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Only thing I have used them for is to make a quick 4" riser to set a 32" TV on, making space for the direct TV box underneath. It is a three board riser with no bottom, so the joint is vulnerable, and it gets shoved around occasionally for dusting. After 3 years or so, it is holding up fine.

Rick Potter

Mac McQuinn
01-08-2014, 3:50 PM

I've used them several times and find they give me a tight fastening. I put a glaze of TB3 on them and drive them home. I've never had a joint loosen up and the corner assembly above is on a 6' tall, open tool cabinet on casters with typically lots of weight and strain on it. This was built up from scraps, using Red Oak, MDO & Walnut Millers.
Good luck, Mac

Andrew Joiner
01-08-2014, 10:33 PM
I've always used plain dowels. I drill the holes at an angle. They'd form a dovetail pattern if you could see thru the joint. That way even if the glue fails in the drawer side hole it can't come apart.