PDA

View Full Version : Rust Runs Through My Veins

Jim Koepke
01-07-2014, 9:00 PM
Went into town today and the Used Tools store seemed to beckon to me...

So SWMBO agreed to let me go if she was dropped off in front of the super market first.

The store has recently been acquired by new owners. They have done a lot to clean up the old place and move out some of the junk. I miss the smell of oily rust. It was sort of like aroma therapy for me to walk in and just take a deep breath.

I couldn't find the planes without some help. Fortunately for me there are already too many in my shop. There was what looked to be an old Sargent #424 (#8) that wouldn't be too much work at $40. Some smaller planes including a Millers Falls #9 (#4).

On the floor and lowest shelf in one corner were a bunch of miter boxes. None had any price tags. I asked and the woman behind the counter said take your pick $3-5.

Looking through them were a couple of Stanley boxes. I was thinking of buying both to have parts but they looked similar but were very different. There was also a Millers Falls that looked okay until I noticed the welded repairs.

So I picked the cleanest looking Stanley, a #2246, and asked how much. The answer was $4. Heck I have seen lesser door stops going for more.

This one has set stops at locations for making cuts for different polygons. It also can be locked between the stops and has a protractor on the front bevel of the numbered section.

Obviously there are a few of the little bits missing. It looks like they won't be too difficult to rig up. From looking at the instructions it looks like there is a rod that runs underneath along the back that wasn't included in the instructions found on line.

Gee, I guess if I wanted to get in the miter box business I should go back and buy up the rest of the stock. It seemed like she wanted me to take them all and seemed eager to deal on the lot.

She said nobody uses them anymore. I guess I am just a nobody.

jtk

Rob Paul
01-07-2014, 10:02 PM
The rod is part of a length stop (frequently MIA on old mitre boxes, especially $4 ones !).
See part 11 in http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/stan-mbox/mboxman.pdf

Jim Koepke
01-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks for that Rob.

It has what looks to be the other side of the information sheet I found by Googling > Stanley 2246 <.

Looks like there are a lot of missing parts from being full featured.

jtk

Rob Paul
01-08-2014, 7:21 PM
The good thing is that those "missing parts" are not really necessary, but more of a sales gimmick and clutter, which is why previous owners have so frequently discarded them. On the rare occasion when you think they might be of use, you could easily set up some temporary fixture that would do the task.

[That is, the "missing parts" are not necessary unless you're a COLLECTOR. You're not a miter box collector now are you Jim ? (you have to have at least 10 to be a collector, less than that and you're just doing market research)]

Jim Koepke
01-08-2014, 7:23 PM
The good thing is that those "missing parts" are not really necessary, but more of a sales gimmick and clutter, which is why previous owners have so frequently discarded them. On the rare occasion when you think they might be of use, you could easily set up some temporary fixture that would do the task.

[That is, the "missing parts" are not necessary unless you're a COLLECTOR. You're not a miter box collector now are you Jim ? (you have to have at least 10 to be a collector, less than that and you're just doing market research)]

No, I am not a collector. Not even doing market research. I am already trying to figure out a way to get my old miter box (inexpensive Craftsman) out of the shop. Maybe give it to one of my grandkids.

jtk