PDA

View Full Version : A new take on a tree for a nursery room...

Jared Martin
01-07-2014, 7:23 PM
So my wife is expecting our first child (a little girl - just a couple weeks to go!) and I wanted to do something really nice to decorate her room. We love nature and wanted to incorporate it into the room. I have seen a ton of trees painted on the walls or tree decals and thought I'd come up with something a bit more creative. Here is the result.

3 layers - oak base, walnut and maple for highlights. Leaves were cut out and then I carved the edges a bit and stained them green on one side and "autumn" on the other. They are held in place with bamboo skewers wrapped in florist tape (still need to touch up some of the spots). We can now rotate the leaves to either green (spring/summer) or multicolor for Autumn.

I think this is probably the best thing I've built in a while. I'm already thinking of things I can add to it :) Next on the list is to create some sort of sun/moon wall hanging on the opposite wall which will display the sun or moon depending on if the light is on or off. When off, it'll have a soft moon glow for a nightlight. I haven't quite worked out the details yet :)

Jared

Larry Frank
01-07-2014, 8:44 PM
This is one of the best projects that I have found on the forum. An excellent idea and great job making it. I am certain that all will love it.

Bob Kovacs
01-07-2014, 8:47 PM
Very cool. So do you just take the leaves off completely in winter? ;)

Keith Outten
01-07-2014, 8:50 PM
Jared,

Outstanding job, I have never seen anything like it anywhere.

Jared Martin
01-07-2014, 9:05 PM
Very cool. So do you just take the leaves off completely in winter? ;)

Good idea :)

Jared Martin
01-07-2014, 9:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I definitely had a good time building it. I hope she'll get many years of enjoyment from it.

Mike Langford
01-07-2014, 9:29 PM
Great ideal.....Nice work!

Did you see this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?186614-Tree-Design-Bookshelf from over in the Design Forum?

Might be neat to put on the opposite side of the room.........

Jared Martin
01-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Great ideal.....Nice work!

Did you see this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?186614-Tree-Design-Bookshelf from over in the Design Forum?

Might be neat to put on the opposite side of the room.........

Very cool! I didn't see that, but when I was researching options initially, I was thinking of something similar. Perhaps that might be a phase 2 project (don't tell my wife :))

Ryan Mooney
01-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Cool idea, I like how it came together.

Its interesting how you didn't over do the details but the result really nicely represents the desired look and doesn't loose anything along the way imho. That's a hard line to hit and I think that this is one case where it was really done well, thanks for sharing.

Bruce Page
01-07-2014, 11:13 PM
That is wonderful! Your future daughter has a great dad!

Stan Mitchell
01-08-2014, 6:44 PM
You know, with minor changes, that would look good in any room in the house.

Amazingly clever and unique! Love it!

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-08-2014, 8:03 PM
very nice and unique. Thank you for showing.

Ed.

Jared Martin
01-08-2014, 8:44 PM
You know, with minor changes, that would look good in any room in the house.

Amazingly clever and unique! Love it!

Funny, I told my wife that when she eventually outgrows it (and wants to paint her room black) we can put it in the master bedroom so we can play Tarzan and Jane aga...I mean so we can preserve it ;)

james glenn
01-09-2014, 7:26 AM
That thing is awesome. I am sure she will love it for a long time and someday possibly use it in the nursery for her own child. I haven't seen anything like this before, and it is giving me some great ideas. I appreciate you sharing this.

Jimmy

Brian W Evans
01-09-2014, 7:14 PM
Wow. That is very cool!

Christopher Charles
01-09-2014, 8:19 PM
Hey Tarzan,

Fabulous design and execution!

Cheers,
C

joe valsi
01-10-2014, 10:41 PM
very clever !! nice job

Jim Becker
01-12-2014, 3:52 PM
Very unique and well executed! Great idea!

Jared Martin
01-14-2014, 1:01 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. My initial thought was to use a bunch of cut offs of various species that I had around the garage and make almost a mosaic tree (with the cut offs being various widths/depths/heights). Looking back, I'm glad I didn't do that as it would have taken a lot of cut offs and a lot more time. I do think it would have looked cool though - perhaps another project for down the road :)