PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Reviews Make Me Laugh

Michele Vespi
01-07-2014, 1:58 PM
I always run a price check with Amazon after enrolling in Amazon Prime (basically its free 2nd day air or drastically reduced next day air) I jotted down prices at the locally owned hardware store (far less expensive) and was comparing when the negative reviews tempted me.... Enjoy!

Good Luck Getting the Cap Off! @#$%&!, June 18, 2012
By
CityMouse (http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AGO7AVK7XHBTL/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp)

This review is from: RUST-OLEUM A67141 Watco Quart Teak Oil Finish One-Step Protection (Tools & Home Improvement)
I was tempted to give one star because of the sheer hassle I went through just trying to get the cap off.

After struggling with it a good 20 minutes, I went to the internet and googled "watko oil cap" and found these Amazon reviews. I followed the advice of a previous poster here who said to remove the plastic cap with a pair of pliers. Underneath the useless plastic cap is a metal screw-on cap that you can -- gasp! surprise! shock! -- actually remove by unscrewing it! Imagine that!

If I hadn't had internet access and if I hadn't seen that tip here, I would have returned the Watko oil to Lowes.

Fortunately though, it only took 10 minutes to literally rip the plastic cap off with a pair of pliers. And after 30 minutes of struggling, I was actually able to start using the product. And the product itself is good.

Watko, are you listening?? Your customers should not have to go to the internet to figure out ways to remove your malfunctioning cap! Come on, now!

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/carrot._V192251235_.gifTom (http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2XLL64N712PKC/ref=cm_cr_rev_detpdp) says:

I know that I risk the chance that you've already done this but....

The cap is quite easy to remove if you follow the simple instructions on the top of the cap.

Push down while twisting counterclockwise. So easy a caveman could do it. Oh ! wait.... a caveman would just smash the can and throw it......

Brian Libby
01-07-2014, 3:14 PM
LOL - thanks for sharing!!

John Coloccia
01-07-2014, 3:29 PM
That he was able to get it off anyway implies that the cap didn't do it's job.

Dan Hintz
01-07-2014, 4:50 PM
If all else fails, read the directions... but not before bashing the company online for your own incompetence ;)

Brian Ashton
01-07-2014, 5:39 PM
I remember those caps from years back. They are a real pain when the plastic gripper teeth wear out. I always cut or popped off such safety measures on all my chemicals. I don't have yard apes and I only have a moderately brain damaged cat (he really is) with no thumbs so there's no risk of the containers being opened by idiots and drank…

Phil Thien
01-07-2014, 6:46 PM
I know where he is coming from, I often use a channel-lock to remove the caps.

Lee Reep
01-07-2014, 7:12 PM
I always wondered who it might be that needed to listen to seatbelt operation instructions on an airplane flight. (And how did that person get to the airport, and thru life, in general. But I digress ...)

Now I know -- it's the Watco Oil Guy!

Frederick Skelly
01-07-2014, 7:14 PM
+1 Phil. (But I bet neither you nor I would write that foolish review.);)

John Coloccia
01-07-2014, 7:23 PM

Me too, truth be told. Solvent is fine. Anything sticky is pretty well stuck after the first use.

...but not on the FIRST use :D

Pat Barry
01-07-2014, 7:32 PM
I agree - this is the simple solution. Side benefit is the plastic cap falls off after a few open / close cycles.

William Adams
01-07-2014, 8:40 PM
Here's a good one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140502416/o/

The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack, Kurt Wiese (Illustrator)
Reading level: Baby-Preschool
Paperback - 36 pages (August 1977). Viking Pr; ISBN: 0140502416 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.17 x 8.86 x 7.15

================================================== ==============
Reviews

A reader from Upper Volta, Uzbekistan, March 7, 1999

Excellent, heart-warming tale of exploration and discovery. Using deft allegory, the authors have provided an insightful and intuitive explanation of one of Unix's most venerable networking utilities. Even more stunning is that they were clearly working with a very early beta of the program, as their book first appeared in 1933, years (decades!) before the operating system and network infrastructure were finalized.

The book describes networking in terms even a child could understand, choosing to anthropomorphize the underlying packet structure. The ping packet is described as a duck, who, with other packets (more ducks), spends a certain period of time on the host machine (the wise-eyed boat). At the same time each day (I suspect this is scheduled under cron), the little packets (ducks) exit the host (boat) by way of a bridge (a bridge). From the bridge, the packets travel onto the internet (here embodied by the Yangtze River).

The title character -- er, packet, is called Ping. Ping meanders around the river before being received by another host (another boat). He spends a brief time on the other boat, but eventually returns to his original host machine (the wise-eyed boat) somewhat the worse for wear.

The book avoids many of the cliches one might expect. For example, with a story set on a river, the authors might have sunk to using that tired old plot device: the flood ping. The authors deftly avoid this.

Who Should Buy This Book

If you need a good, high-level overview of the ping utility, this is the book. I can't recommend it for most managers, as the technical aspects may be too overwhelming and the basic concepts too daunting.

Problems With This Book

As good as it is, The Story About Ping is not without its faults. There is no index, and though the ping(8) man pages cover the command line options well enough, some review of them seems to be in order. Likewise, in a book solely about Ping, I would have expected a more detailed overview of the ICMP packet structure.

But even with these problems, The Story About Ping has earned a place on my bookshelf, right between Stevens' Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment, and my dog-eared copy of Dante's seminal work on MS Windows, Inferno. Who can read that passage on the Windows API ("Obscure, profound it was, and nebulous, So that by fixing on its depths my sight -- Nothing whatever I discerned therein."), without shaking their head with deep understanding. But I digress.

More here:

http://ftp.arl.army.mil/~mike/ping.html