PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Transition Molding

Joseph Crivelli
01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
We recently purchased a new house in Plainview, NY. The house has a large den which was carpeted. Since we prefer a wood floor, we shopped around and finally decided on a wood laminate (Gunstock Oak) which we found at Lowes. So we contracted with Lowes for their installer to lay the new floor.
The problem can be seen about. The den floor abuts ceramic tile at the entryway. The curve is about five feet long at a gentle 90 degree curve.
The 1st Lowes contractor refused the job stating that the transition could not be made.
The 2nd contractor (Gemini) said it would be no problem.
Gemini laid the floor which came out beautifully. However, the installers did not have the right flexible transition molding for the curve.
We called Gemini who said the molding was backordered.
About a week later another Gemini installer came and installed an 1 ½ “ Wide x ½” High flexible molding. He was a “fast talker” and bragged about the professional hot glue (put down with a glue gun) that he was using to install the molding. No clumping or taping!
Within a day we noticed that the molding showed signs of coming up. After a week it came off.
We contacted Lowes and Master Card, and are awaiting an answer.
Meanwhile, I searched the Internet form information about flexible transition molding. The best site I found was Flexitions (WWW.flexitions.com). There website shows many transitions just like ours. There instruction sheet indicates that the molding should be installed with “premium urethane construction adhesive” and advise taping with blue painter’s tape until the glue sets.
My Question – Does anyone here have experience with flexible transition molding?

Mel Fulks
01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't know anything about what would be the best solution ,but you paid for good work and should not have to learn that trade to get good work. If the contractor is working for the store ,I would communicate only through the store. I think I would tell them I am "advertising" their work and look forward to telling your readers the problem has been fixed.

Neal Clayton
01-07-2014, 1:39 PM
Do you have any pics? Preferably of the opening itself without the bad molding in it?

The catch is it's gonna need to be in a pretty good bind, which depends on how good a job the floor guys did. If it has giant gaps on either side of the T, it's never gonna stay put right. I personally don't like these transition moldings and have always sealed the last wood edge/end, and had the tile guy mortar right up to the wood and blend the tops even. But I've never had to deal with a curve, either....

Lee Schierer
01-07-2014, 6:39 PM
I have never liked the transition moldings offered by the wood and laminate flooring companies so I usually make my own. However, I've never had to deal with a curved transition.