PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day Sign

Rick Maitland
06-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Well with Father's Day just around the corner I decided to make my Dad a big sign to put on his new dock. I made the sign out of 1/2 MDF and it will be outdoors. Will MDF stand up against the elements if I use a stain and then clear coat. Or should I use something else.

Lee DeRaud
06-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Well with Father's Day just around the corner I decided to make my Dad a big sign to put on his new dock. I made the sign out of 1/2 MDF and it will be outdoors. Will MDF stand up against the elements if I use a stain and then clear coat. Or should I use something else.I'd go with cedar or redwood. MDF would be pretty iffy IMHO: my mom lives in Arlington and I've seen what that climate does to outdoor wood. :(

Keith Outten
06-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Rick,

Take a trip down to your local counter top or cabinet shop and ask them for some Corian scraps...sink cutouts, etc. Corian scraps are free, engraves great and you can paint fill for contrast. You won't have to apply a finish and it will last for decades. Large sink cutouts are about 20" by 30" in size and you can cut them on your bandsaw or table saw and route the edge just like it was wood. Engrave your sign blank then spray paint. Finally sand the sign with your Random Orbital Sander to about 220 grit.

Rick Maitland
06-14-2005, 7:55 PM
Thank you guys for the input. I think I will try getting some Corian Keith. Thanks!

Robert Stremcha
06-16-2005, 1:12 AM
MDF is a big no-no for anything outdoors. If you want wood, go with the redwood (all-heart clear grade), or cedar. Use only stainless steel fasteners or your work will be rust stained in a year or two.