PDA

View Full Version : Looking for local SMC'r to help with tuning my Joiner

Douglas Robinson
06-12-2005, 9:47 AM
I have a powermatic model 53 6" joiner. The blades were worn so I bought an extra set of sharp ones. Now I can rotate the blades when one set need sharpening.

Here's the problem: While I have one of the manetic blade alignment devices, I can not figure out how to align everything and tune this tool :( I don't usuallly give up, but I am at a loss on this one. Are there any SMC'rs in the greater DC area (I am in Fiarfax VA) who could spare some time and help educate a joiner-impaired woodworker? This is doubly frustrating because I have an engineering degree. I'll spring for beer and a meal. ;)

Thanks,

Doug

Steve Roxberg
06-12-2005, 9:54 AM
I can't help because I don't live in the area, but can offer up an article by both Fine Woodworking, and the Delta Woodworking web site.

Both articles walk you step by step through the process.

If you don't get an offer of personal help let me know, and I'll try and get you the article.

Alan Turner
06-12-2005, 10:22 AM
I wish I were closer. That is more than I normally charge.

Mark Singer
06-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I would just use a small steel level or straigh edge. place it on the outfeed table and rotate the blades one by one until the just "peek" at the plane of the straight edge. You need to check both far points of each blade. They should just touch and barely move the straight edge upon rotation. Check a few times and tighten . That is the simplest way. Once that run aboard through and if there is the slightest snipe raise the table...if it gets worse lower it. The knives should be very very slightly higher than the outfeed table since as the board moves through it is actually cutting scallops on the face or edge.

Mike Cutler
06-12-2005, 8:42 PM
Doug. Could you exactly explain what is not happening correctly for you? I'm going to ask the real dumb question here first though. Is the Magnetic alignment tool the right size for your jointer? There are at least 3 distinct sizes that I know of, and they are not interchangeable.
To add a little to Mark's post. Make sure that infeed table is completely out of the way and not interferring, and if you get a piece of MDF about 4" wide 8" long it makes it really easy to see the blades make contact, as Mark said, just a "peek" proud. This will get you close, then move to the straight edge as Mark mentioned.
Good luck, and don't give up.