PDA

View Full Version : Shop Weather !!!!

Clarence Martin
01-06-2014, 6:43 PM
-7 with -45 wind chill tonight!!!

Time to throw another piece of scrap wood in the wood stove to keep the shop warm !!

Matt Meiser
01-06-2014, 7:05 PM
Already -15 here. Plus wind chill. Looking like we are going to set an all time "its never been this cold here, ever, since we started keeping records" record. We already blew through the "its never been this cold on this date" record 10 degrees ago.

Not that I can go anywhere anyway. No vehicle has gone down our road since my neighbor tried early afternoon and got stuck in his 4WD truck. A few trucks made it through earlier but its only continued to get worse. There's talk we may not see a plow for a couple days.

Leigh Betsch
01-06-2014, 8:01 PM
-18 now was -24 last night. I remember much colder times when I was a kid living in North Dakota. I really don't know what the big deal is, -30's used to be common. I don't even count windchill. They changed the windchill calculation a few years ago now everyone thinks they are having record wind chills. -40 now that is getting cold, hope we don't see that again for quite a while.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-06-2014, 8:57 PM
I agree Leigh, but... my danged pickup wouldn't start this morning. It was only -22 over night, a couple weeks ago it was -30's for a week, and it worked fine then. Must have got some not so blended winter blend diesel.

Coldest I've ever experienced was here in western NE, -42 F. Makes everything break. Was pretty cool to toss a cup of hot water into the air and make snow though. Curious now, what's the coldest everyone has experienced?

Paul McGaha
01-06-2014, 9:02 PM
We don't have it near as bad as you guys. Currently 18* and tomorrow we're supposed to have a high of 16*.

Hope you guys stay warm somehow.

PHM

Jeff Monson
01-06-2014, 9:05 PM
It was around -25 here this morning, the wind sure had a bite to it. Isn't supposed to last too long, warming up later this week. Sure has been a cold snowy winter so far.

Tony Streible
01-06-2014, 9:11 PM
We're in single digits now in North Georgia by 8:30 pm. No snow, fortunately. Had the shop nice and toasty today with the pellet stove (jacketed for dusty conditions) and starting a new project: Rocking chairs! SO I sit and contemplate for a while - a very important part of the job.

Leigh Betsch
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Coldest I've ever experienced was here in western NE, -42 F. Makes everything break. Was pretty cool to toss a cup of hot water into the air and make snow though. Curious now, what's the coldest everyone has experienced?

Yeah, coldest I've seen was in the -40's when I was living in MN. I was running a dog sled for fun. I had a 6 dog team. Lots of fun. The dogs ran the best at -10, they wouldn't over heat. But with 6 dogs about all you do is hang on. With 4 dogs you have to run and "peddle" a bit so you stay warmer. It hit -40 in those days, I didn't run the dogs but I was outside plenty feeding and caring for them. I had heated water buckets that I changed every night. When I tossed the old water into the air it would vaporize as it froze, pretty cool.
But I got downsized so I moved south, no more sled dogs and now I hate cold weather.

Stephen Pereira
01-07-2014, 1:15 AM
it is cold now..-35F with windchills even colder. Not as bad as the winter of 95 or 78. Winter of 78 had 6 weeks when it never above zero. It was my first winter in Minnesota and I learned fast about heating with wood.

Winter of 95 saw colder temps. We had actual temp approaching -50F. I worked for a energy co op, sold propane and heating oil, we ran the trucks 24/7, two men to a truck. I built many a charcoal fire underneath LP bulk tanks..I'll never forget that winter.

Rick Potter
01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Wow, I sure miss the days when I lived in Cleveland. I remember as a kid being dressed in several layers of clothes, then putting on a 'snowsuit', boots and a scarf over my face. Then mom would open the door and say go out and play. By the time the snowman was done, so were we.

Unseasonably warm weather here, plus a drought. Next year we will probably have too much rain and flooding.

Rick Potter

Jerome Stanek
01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Yeah Cleveland was fun when I was a kid. Could go out and sled have snowball fights build snowmen ice skate. Now they won't let kids out and be kids either it is to cold or to hot. I blame the weather people for a lot of this. They think schools have to close if there is a chance of snow and think this is a good thing then they say we don't want to extend the school year when all the snow days are used up.

Matt Meiser
01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Our conditions got even worse overnight. On the main road nearest us, about 2 miles north of us there are semis stuck in 5' drifts. Apparently there are numerous stuck and abandoned cars throughout the county and the towing companies won't even go out. Over the last 24-36 hours Michigan and Ohio haven't even been able to keep I-75 open in our area for more than an hour or so before the next accident, jack-knifed semi, or even stuck semi blocks it. In NW Ohio there are still Level 3 snow emergencies which means roads are closed for all but emergencies and the news can't even find someone who is willing to speculate when they might be lifted.

We got down to -17 over night but now its warmed up to -4!

Rod Sheridan
01-07-2014, 1:07 PM
No snow here, however down to -25 overnight, prediction is for +4 by Sunday..........Strange weather..........Rod.

Jim Rimmer
01-07-2014, 1:09 PM
Yeah, coldest I've seen was in the -40's when I was living in MN. I was running a dog sled for fun. I had a 6 dog team. Lots of fun. The dogs ran the best at -10, they wouldn't over heat. But with 6 dogs about all you do is hang on. With 4 dogs you have to run and "peddle" a bit so you stay warmer. It hit -40 in those days, I didn't run the dogs but I was outside plenty feeding and caring for them. I had heated water buckets that I changed every night. When I tossed the old water into the air it would vaporize as it froze, pretty cool.
But I got downsized so I moved south, no more sled dogs and now I hate cold weather.

By moving south, are you referring to South Dakota as is says in your post for your location? I wouldn't consider that warm. :confused: :eek:

Keith Outten
01-07-2014, 1:41 PM
It was +12 degrees this morning which is extremely cold for our area. Its been years since I have seen temperatures below the low 20's. We have had clear sunny skies since the sun came up but we still had a power outage this morning which is why The Creek was offline for an hour of two.

To our Canadian Friends.....thanks for the gift of the Arctic Air but I would appreciate it if you would take it back :)

Michele Vespi
01-07-2014, 5:44 PM
It was -9 last night a high of 0ish today. The new Mcfeely's Catalog was on the coffee table so I spent a considerable amount of time thinking how nice anything Festool would accentuate the shop. Then I went downstairs and started working on a Bar Cart. Needless to say little work got done and a Yuengling was cracked open. Gotta keep warm somehow, right?!!

Gregory Peterson
01-14-2014, 9:59 AM
Uh.... supposed to be 82 today and 85 tomorrow (Southern Cal).

Leigh Betsch
01-14-2014, 6:30 PM
By moving south, are you referring to South Dakota as is says in your post for your location? I wouldn't consider that warm. :confused: :eek:
Yeah South Dakoa now. Too warm for sled dogs but you're right not exactly warm either. The native Americans had it right, migrate with the buffalo herds. The only problem with their plan was they had terrible transportation. Walking across the country couldn't have been much fun.