PDA

View Full Version : Glued Up Oak 1x12 @ Lowes

George Bokros
01-06-2014, 6:31 PM
I needed a piece of oak today for some doors for a cabinet I am making for my router bits. I went to Lowes to make a quick purchase. I found the 1x12 oak in 6 ft lengths. The grain pattern looked kind of odd to me. It looked like it was glued up stock with a poor grain match. I dug out another piece, they only had about 6 pieces, it too looked odd. I looked at the end grain and sure enough I could definitely see the it was glued up. The grain match on the face was so poor it was obvious just from the face but the end grain confirmed it. Never saw this before, anyone else run into this? To make matters worse they wanted $41 it.

George

Mark Wooden
01-06-2014, 6:59 PM
Walk away.
At $6.83 a board ft that's a gouge. I'd recycle pallets before I'd bend over for that. Shame on them.

I have seen laid up stair tread- pieces as narrow as 1"- at the Big Box Stores but it was always dirt cheap.

You shouldn't have to pay more than $4.75 +- a bd ft for 10" and wider flat sawn red oak.

Lee Schierer
01-06-2014, 8:29 PM
I'm not sure where in North East Ohio you are located, but Summit Hardwoods in Waterford PA can sell you better quality 1 x 12 Oak that is S4S and knot free for $5.19 per foot.

Frederick Skelly
01-06-2014, 8:42 PM
I recently ran across WALNUT and Alder sold that very same way - wide boards glued up with a horrendous grain match. Didnt even check the price, it was so awful.

Lee Reep
01-06-2014, 8:54 PM
I do not buy any lumber at Home Depot or Lowes. I am lucky to have several lumberyards where I can get really nice lumber that is cheaper, and straighter, than the junk at the big box stores. And I'm near a specialty wood store and mill shop that offers maybe upwards of 50 different trim styles in about a dozen different species of wood, besides a huge inventory of domestics and exotics in all different thicknesses. And their sheet good options are just unbelievable, in terms of variety of the hardwood veneers offered. It is a very dangerous place to go if you have a credit card in hand!

Bob Potter
01-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Try Menards they have random oak for about $3.00 a bf. Some have a few knots or cracks but you can work around them. Some of there boards are perfect you just have to sort though.
And of course if you can find someone in your area who has a saw mill you can generally get oak cheaper.

Hope this helps, Bob

PS these are not glued up boards, they are solid boards.

Larry Edgerton
01-07-2014, 6:36 AM
We are now at the point that the box stores have driven enough of the small stores out of business that they no longer have to maintain any pretense of quality.

"The masses will buy what we sell them, and they will be happy."

Larry

Jerome Stanek
01-07-2014, 6:43 AM
I get mine from Lodi Lumber or Keim lumber here in Ohio