PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Purchase at Harbor Freight?

Rich Riddle
01-06-2014, 5:06 PM
In changing the cutter head of a Minimax FS35 from standard to a Shelix head, I needed to several large metric hex head screws. The L shaped hex wrenches didn't work because of the torque on the screws. The answer seemed to be socket hex bits. After choking at the cost of some hex wrenches online, I decided to check Harbor Freight. About ten bucks for the set that might be used once annually. Worked flawlessly and seemed decent quality and has a lifetime guarantee.

It's not often I get tools there but it might be time for a change to less expensive items infrequently used. So, what tools or items do you purchase at Harbor Freight (or another less expensive retailer)? Is it worth it to purchase their tools?

Todd Burch
01-06-2014, 5:17 PM
I actually bought a pneumatic scaler from HF in 2012. Worked great for the ~6 hours I needed it to work. Haven't used it since. Generally, I avoid HF, but they had it, no one else did, and it was reasonably priced.

David Weaver
01-06-2014, 5:28 PM
I purchased one of the 40400 compressors and it worked for 6 years. 99 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick.

Its downfall was that it had pot metal connectors. It pooped out, so I went to HD looking for the $400 compressor - the USA stamped compressor with oil lube. But HD had the new improved version of the 40400 stamped HUSKY for $79, and this time it had brass fixtures on it.

Also bought an 18 gauge nailer, which I expected to never use. Bought brand name nails for it, though. Used it this year to do the edge pieces on flooring, and am very happy with it. It did a good job sinking the nails into moisture resistant OSB and didn't damage anything.

Also like to get junky consumables from them, like blue zirconia sanding belts and brass brushes and such, and their buffer can be used as a beat around buffer if you just need something to smack around and overheat.

John Solie
01-06-2014, 5:41 PM
I tend to be pretty careful about what I buy from HF. I've bought clamps, wood screws, transfer punches, pressure pot (now a pressure chamber for resin casting) and some of the worst duct tape I've ever used. However, since I'm not taping ducts, but am using it to "thicken" bowl blanks so they can be gripped safely by my Cole jaws, I ain't gonna sweat it. :)

Jerome Stanek
01-06-2014, 5:52 PM
I have their 2 hp dust collector and 23 gauge pinner. Also a set of wrenches that I didn't care if they get lost but they are real nice and my go to now. Have a no contact thermometer and an OBD II meter and brake bleeder.

Stephen Cherry
01-06-2014, 6:01 PM
tire irons, tire bead breaker, car buffer, things like that. Of course, it's all junk, but sometimes that is pretty good enough.

William Adams
01-06-2014, 6:10 PM
I'm actually trying out a 1/4" Trim Router as a spindle on my ShapeOko CNC mill.

I also like their small, medium and large plastic organizer/storage trays --- always pick one up w/ a 20 or 25% off coupon when I'm visiting the local Woodcraft store.

Michael Mahan
01-06-2014, 6:11 PM
drill press milling vise . it's really nice & way cheaper than anything else on Amazon that had 1/2 the features
it was on sale & I had a 20% coupon $65.oo out da door

Charlie Velasquez
01-06-2014, 6:41 PM
Furniture dollies, 1000Lbs capacity for$ 7.99... I noticed on one of the casters there was a sticker that said rated at 330lbs. I re-purpose these for mobile bases, and such. At $2/caster it's a bargain.

Rich Riddle
01-06-2014, 8:51 PM
drill press milling vise . it's really nice & way cheaper than anything else on Amazon that had 1/2 the features
it was on sale & I had a 20% coupon $65.oo out da door
I didn't know you could use the 20% coupon on sale items.

Michael Mahan
01-06-2014, 9:14 PM
I didn't know you could use the 20% coupon on sale items.
as long as the sale item is not a sale coupon item , then yes . You have to watch the signage in-store & on their flyers for the things marked as on sale but not a coupon item . I wait till the stars align & what I want is both on sale & they offer a 20% off one item in a email . Been wanting that mill vise for long time but I couldn't bring myself to pay 119.oo HF full price
A mill vise on a drill press is sweet when making jigs in metal stock

Harvey M. Taylor
01-06-2014, 9:31 PM
I have to laugh when I see an ad in the supply catalogs for 15.00 for a spring-loade punch. HF gets about 3.00.Max.

Jim O'Dell
01-06-2014, 9:50 PM
I made a mistake and bought a couple of the cordless drills about 10 years ago. One for the house to keep my good stuff in the shop, and one for work to change out license plates on the service drive. Each lasted about 2 chargings. I buy disposables mostly: Glue brushes, Gloves, etc. Only other electrical tool I've purchased there is their 10" tile saw. It does a great job for $200.00! Paid for itself in tool rental fees the first 2 rooms I used it for. Jim.

Art Mann
01-06-2014, 9:53 PM
I got a great deal on a rubber hammer. I also bought a $10 23 gauge pin nailer on sale. I keep hoping it will quit working so I can buy a nice one but it just keeps on working after years of steady use.

Matt Meiser
01-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Measuring tools like calipers and dial indicators which are plenty accurate for what I need. Spvarious brushes and nitrile gloves. Grinding wheels for the angle grinder. Really. toying that involves electricity though.

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2014, 11:34 PM
I have a set of HF tools to keep at the house. Handy when you need to screw on a cabinet handle or hang something. Pain to go to the shop just to get a hammer or screwdriver.

Mark P. Miller
01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
The multifunction tool is mentioned a lot on this site, and I get a lot of use out of mine. I LOVE my 4x24 belt sander though. It's helped me recently to make really quick work of the sanding stage of a large deck refinishing project.

Myk Rian
01-07-2014, 9:35 AM
I've gotten all kinds of stuff. Have to go back sometime as my Brother gave me a $35 gift card.
Gotta load up my 25% coupons and head up to Flint.

scott spencer
01-07-2014, 9:54 AM
The metal F-style Pittsburg bar clamps are a great deal on sale....I have several. I also have a 13" model 38142 DP that I've very happy with, and a mortiser that works fine. The digital calipers also work well. The $5 electric hair clippers are garbage. The brad nailor works most of the time, but occasionally jams.

Curt Harms
01-07-2014, 10:00 AM
F clamps, nitrile gloves, rectangular LED lights for $2.99, multimeter for $2.99 for checking batteries, glue brushes, wire wheels.

Larry Browning
01-07-2014, 10:29 AM
The F clamps work pretty well, but the quick clamps with the pistol grip are less than useless and a complete waste of time and money! I also have the 23ga pin nailer which has worked out great. I think I paid $9.99 for it. I have run countless pins through it and I can't remember even 1 jam or miss fire. It can leave a small dent in the wood however. I had a need for a reciprocating saw for a one time job, I could buy one for $20 at HF or rent one for a day for $30. I went the HF route, and still have it. It has been used several times since that one job and is still going strong!
Oh, yeah, I have also bought a few air hoses and fittings from them. Never had a problem with those.

Brian Elfert
01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
About the only thing I buy at Harbor Freight is Nitrile gloves. I bought a cup brush for my grinder two or three years ago, but I noticed this Fall that the cup brush is shot. I wasn't able to find a cup brush that wasn't knotted except at Harbor Freight back then. There seem to be more options now, or I just didn't look hard enough the last time.

Rick Potter
01-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Same as Curt (above), and add 12 packs of small drill bit sizes, like 1/8 and 3/16. Those little work lites are great.

Rick Potter

Charles Wiggins
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
It's not often I get tools there but it might be time for a change to less expensive items infrequently used. So, what tools or items do you purchase at Harbor Freight (or another less expensive retailer)? Is it worth it to purchase their tools?

I have bought a bunch of stuff through them going back to the mid-1980s when I had to call the 800 number and give item numbers and quantities. Some of it has been great, some of it not so great, but a lot of the items are still in use. One of my first orders included a box of 100 course hack saw blades - best I've ever used - and I still probably have 10-12 left. A set of four hammers, all of which I still use, sets of SAE and metric combination wrenches, which I still use, a set of pliers and a set of crescent wrenches, which I still use, mostly for odd jobs, a set of screwdrivers which have been replaced for the most part, but I still use the large ones for prying and the like.

About that same time I also ordered two socket sets knowing full well that the ratchets would be crap. I bought Master Mechanic ratchets to replace them and donated the ones from the set to the Art Department. They were both toast in a few months. The larger set came with several extensions and a universal joint adapter that I have used several times over the years. In over 25 years I think I have replaced two sockets that cracked under the stress.

I also have tons of plastic spring clamps, which are great, some 2' aluminum bar clamps which are my clamps of last resort, a paint sprayer I have only used once (I don't have a compressor), an 8" dado stack, which is OK (I'd like to replace someday) and I'm sure lots of other things I cannot recall right now.

Anymore, if it has a motor, has to hold an edge, or needs to be precise, I generally don't even consider Harbor Freight, but I will for just about anything else.

Bruce Page
01-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Nitrile gloves. I have a couple of their air nailers that I bought for outside fence/home maintenance that work quite well.

Rod Sheridan
01-07-2014, 1:09 PM
Nothing.............Regards, Rod.

Jim Rimmer
01-07-2014, 1:22 PM
My rule is not to buy anything whose failure can cause me bodily harm. So no jacks, jack stands, hoists. etc. I did buy their oscillating multi-tool for a single use and have used it several times. Got some picks for getting out glue squeeze out, jewelers loupes of various magnification, magnifying glasses on a head band (I use it a lot more than I thought I would). When I get room for a dust collector I will probably try theirs with the upgrades recommended here on the Creek.

glenn bradley
01-07-2014, 1:26 PM
I got a great deal on a rubber hammer. I also bought a $10 23 gauge pin nailer on sale. I keep hoping it will quit working so I can buy a nice one but it just keeps on working after years of steady use.

I too have a couple inexpensive dead blow mallets that have worked for years. I also have the pinner which works flawlessly. I try to avoid anything that should be highly accurate or is motorized although I bought a $14 'Sawzall' 9 years ago to demolish some garage fixtures. It sounds like every use will be its last (shakes, grinds, etc.) but, it just keeps going.

Other diamonds in the rough include their $1.50 rubberized cotton gloves. I use them for loading and handling rough stock. A pair lasts about a year of regular use. A lot of the stuff is worth less than you pay for it but, there are exceptions. Actually this is true for many big names that we use as well, isn't it?

Charles said it best: "Anymore, if it has a motor, has to hold an edge, or needs to be precise, I generally don't even consider Harbor Freight, but I will for just about anything else."

george wilson
01-08-2014, 7:44 AM
You buys be careful of Chinese plastic. It sometimes starts to stink badly and apparently can start decomposing. I don't know if decomposing plastic can rust your tools or not. Some CAN. I had a gunsmith friend who had a revolver in its box that kept rusting. He'd oil it,clean it,and find later that it was rusting again. The culprit turned out to be the plastic grips. They weren't Chinese,but I'm just saying to not take plastic for granted. Chinese screwdriver handles can also really start to stink like crazy. I don't know what is in that off gassing(as conservators call it). Be careful of your good tools in Chinese plastic bins,etc..

John Coloccia
01-08-2014, 8:00 AM
The only things I buy from Harbor Freight are storage solutions and gloves. I used to go there for Goodyear air hose, but they stopped carrying it a year or two ago.

Joe Kieve
01-08-2014, 8:23 AM
I needed a 1/2" crown upholstery stapler to do a small job last year. Went online and read reviews of the one at HF and they were pretty good. So I found a 25% off coupon on the web and got one for ~$18. Used it for the job and it's still working well. BTW it uses standard Arrow T-50 staples.

Dick Latshaw
01-08-2014, 9:47 AM
I have an angle drill that I got on sale for under $20 five years ago. I use it for sanding bowls and other turnings. Thought it would last six months or so.:)

Also have a bunch of the F clamps that are fine for light duty clamping, and brad and pin nailers that work well for occasional use.

Don Orr
01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
I have picked up various things over the years. As with Charles W. I bought things from them back when they were called Harbor Freight SALVAGE. It was my understanding they would buy up unsold lots of all kinds of stuff, even containers that had fallen off ships. I have an old B&D Workmate with Japanese labels and it still works well.

It was quite a novelty when they opened a retail store in our area. Good for disposable things like glue brushes, wire ties, gloves and such. I also like their replacement power cord ends-cheap but solid. I also have the angle drill that I have tried to kill but it won't die. Air hose parts and hose, small air nailers and die grinders are reasonable. I just picked up a new face shield on sale with a 25% off coupon for about $12 and it is impact rated. Not the cheesy, flimsy one, but a solid, adjustable head band one made by SAS. Got good reviews. I'll probably get a couple more just as replacements because extra clear parts are not readily available.Their heat gun works well. I tried to find the adjustable magnetic base work light but it seems to have been discontinued.

Overall-some good-some OK-some just plain lousy. Some diamonds in the rough though-like diamond abrasives. I avoid larger power tools there. Interesting place with interesting people.

Eric DeSilva
01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
My rule is not to buy anything whose failure can cause me bodily harm.

Amen. I've bought some disposable stuff from them--rubber gloves, glue brushes. I also bought a 50' pneumatic hose reel from them that does what I want and was cheap. And a cabinet sand blaster--I don't have to sand blast stuff a lot, but having one is nice. I wouldn't trust the legs free standing, but it is shoved up against a wall and braced against other stuff, so it seems to work fine.

BOB OLINGER
01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Well, I first walked into a HF store about 6-7 yrs ago and back out in about 3-4 min. However, since then a total reversal. Here's some of my purchases that come to mind over last several years:

- 3 wood work tables ($139 ea) that I bolted together for a nice work bench; have drawers, shelve, and vices. Works great; great value for me.
- lots of electrical cord end replacements - the dark yellow ones
- pneumatic palm circular sander - very well made, variable speed, works great
- 1/4 and 3/8 rachets with sockets (metric & SAE), deep wells, various extensions, great for the occasional need
- SAE & metric combination raised lettering wrench sets
- Pneumatic air tank
- 1/2" corded drill just for the occasional use of a heavier drill
- 4-wheel shop cart with drawer
- just bought a pneumatic coil nailer (for shingles); how can you go wrong for $79 when you can't rent one for 2 days for that; we just put on about 10 sq of shingles and the gun worked great; now, still have it for the next project
- just bought a 29 pc titanium drill bit set; I was leary, but thought I'd gamble for under $20; so far, they're great; can't even buy a couple of bits at the borg or hardware store for that.
- a pair of loading ramps - work great
- the Goodyear rubber air hose - red-orange one - great hose
- dust collector hose kit with blast gates and connections - great
- inexpensive wood chisel set (to use when I don't want to use by better set); however, they are proving to be equal!
- A lot of the brass hose end quick connectors - work great so far; been warned on the replacement washer availability ?
- Medium sized air compressor for a work site - operates daily without a problem
- Several furniture dollies
- Just bought the oscillating multi-tool, haven't plugged it in, yet; how can you go wrong for about $20 for occasional use?
- Nitrile gloves - the heavy duty ones are great

Purchased several smaller (about 16") bar clamps - one completely failed, others don't hold tight enough - don't recommend

I stay clear of the larger power tools, but that's not anything against them.

It's a good thing the closest store is 45 min. away or my list would definitely be longer! Just have to evaluate the use/application with the items.

Stan Mitchell
01-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Like others, the $20 Multi-tool (always seems to be on sale) has worked out really well for me. You're likely to spend more $ on quality replacement blades than the tool itself.

Rick Potter
01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I forgot...I have gotten good use from their number and letter stamps. Use them mostly to mark keys and the like. Never tried them on anything really hard.

Rick Potter

Stephen Musial
01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
10 year old compressor, 8 year old dust collector, 8 year old bandsaw, metal bender for making legs for Nakashima tables, magnetic bars for organizing the tools in my truck, a paint eater I bought 3 years ago for 1 job (still going strong and was 1/3 the price of the one at Lowe's), micrometer, gloves, etc.

My big power tools on the other hand are all "brand name". Powermatic 65 tablesaw, Jet jointer, Delta drill press and planer, Rikon lathe.

Alan Bienlein
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
The single speed multi tool.
F clamps up to 24" in length.
Large bearing separator.
7 mil nitrile gloves powder free.
Sae and metric crowfoot flare nut wrench sets.
10 piece bearing race and seal driver set.
6" dial caliper I bought 18 years ago and still works perfect and always goes back to zero.
4" x 36" sanding belts.
Casters.
Air hose.
A/C manifold gauge set.
12 speed bench top drill press I wish I still had. Bought it in mid 90"s but had to sell due to moving.

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of other things.

Rich Riddle
01-08-2014, 7:40 PM
Today I found a coupon for 20% off and purchased a bearing splitter to remove a stubborn bearing too remote for a regular puller. Worked like a champ. The nearest value I could find for one was about $20 more and it appeared to be the same unit. It will be used about three times a year, so it's great.

Fred Perreault
01-08-2014, 8:25 PM
Years ago from H.F. Salvage I bought a 1" drive socket set from 15/16ths to 3.5". $79.00. Couldn't beat it with a stick, even though I did break the 3.25" socket doing what I shouldn't have. I also bought a 4x1 torque multiplier, 500# in, 2000# out.... 3/4" x 1" drives. I used them on all kinds of heavy machinery. Now, I buy consumables and their aluminum square tube wood clamps for $9, $10, $12 for 12", 24", 36" clamps. Try that at the major woodworker stores. I also got two HD 4" ratchet tie down straps for trailering my Kubota (no more Cat D-3's, D-6's, D-8 and excavators) very cheap, and If one is selective, I think that there are things for just about anyone to use. I also think that the smell of our local store is nauseating from the "import aroma"...

Rick Moyer
01-08-2014, 8:32 PM
Like others, the $20 Multi-tool (always seems to be on sale) has worked out really well for me. You're likely to spend more $ on quality replacement blades than the tool itself.

Saw flyer ad that this is on sale now for $14.95! One of the very few things I ever bought at HF (a few years ago) but it's certainly worth that.

Lee Reep
01-08-2014, 8:51 PM
I've bought their nitrile gloves for years. But you do throw them away pretty often. :)

Other things they have that seem fine are digital calipers, furniture dollies (how bad could they be), angle grinders (my neighbor uses it more than I do, and he highly recommends it).

Things that stink are their pneumatic couplers (break when the hose drops to the ground), and their "premium" rubber air hoses. I got some for work, and they developed bubbles in the hose in several places after about a month.

Basically, I look to HF for throw-away tools, or tools that get really limited use (like the angle grinder). I do not buy their power tools for anything that would get repeated use. I am at a point in my life that I only buy what I perceive to be the best.

A few years ago I bought one of their cordless drills, and it was a POS -- heavy, and underpowered. Gave it to my sister-in-law since she didn't have too many tools. My wife likes the HF garden LED lights, like the butterflies and dragonflies -- a set of $3 for $10. Tough to beat that.

Larry Frank
01-08-2014, 9:24 PM
I bought the 2 ton engine lift and use is for lifting equipment and such. It works well but just like any other hoist or lift, never put myself in a position where it can fall on me. It has been great for moving things around like a cabinet saw by myself.

Bryan Lisowski
01-08-2014, 11:30 PM
I buy clamps and other disposable items. I have tried some tools, but it is hit or miss.

Lee Reep
01-09-2014, 12:56 AM
I buy clamps and other disposable items. I have tried some tools, but it is hit or miss.

i forgot to mention earlier, I have HD aluminum bar clamps (maybe 10 years old -- blue heads, rectangular aluminum tube, tail clicks on notches to adjust to rough length) and they are very good. I see the same clamp in different colors wearing other companies' names at way higher prices.

The HF quick clamps that are black and neon orange are junk. I've dropped two of them on concrete floor and the head snapped off. (I seem to have a knack for breaking HF stuff by dropping it.)

Don Morris
01-09-2014, 2:12 AM
If it's a critical technical item, I'd stay away from it. There was a very thorough "Garage something" review of storage cabinets. Based on number of ball bearings per drawer, etc., HF's top brand storage unit: US General came out on top. So, I go there on occasion for items that aren't "critical" but I know them well and can make an informed judgement about them. For instance: I bought this $3.00 Helping Hands (coupons of course for everything) to assist me in doing some soldering. Would have paid a lot more at Radio Shack. I bought some different types of sand blasting compounds. When looking for a 2 HP 20 gal compressor, I could have chosen one of theirs, but stayed away. Maybe I paid a lot more $$$, but I have peace of mind with the well known and respected brand I did buy.

Jeff Erbele
01-09-2014, 7:22 AM
Absolutely nothing. I got burned bad in the 1980's. Customer service tried to fix the problem but their solution resulted in getting stung twice, then I was blamed for their inferior product being my fault and insulted to boot.

I black-listed them. I don't need or want crap, especially theirs.

Frank Trinkle
01-09-2014, 8:12 AM
I've bought a number of items from HF over the last few years, but the couple of times I've bought power equipment, I've ended up getting rid of them.

I buy smalls mostly. 2-part epoxy, gloves, wire ties, lots of wooden handscrew clamps (Pretty hard to make badly!), a worktable that has lasted for 7 years and is exactly the same height as my TS table so I can use it as an outfeed. Moving blankets, tarps, disposable small tool sets, rubber mallets, bungee cords, etc. Nothing major, and no more power equipment, but for disposable or simple things, they can't be beat.

Matt Meiser
01-09-2014, 8:15 AM
I forgot about the toolboxes. I bought one of the $170 carts last fall. Its a really nice piece, better than anything Sears sells anymore. Same with the big red tool boxes. If I was buying new toolboxes today, that's probably what I'd get. I've seen claims that unless you want to spend many times more and get something from a tool truck, the HF toolboxes are the best thing out there, and even then you might not be getting that much better quality--seems even the big money brands have slipped.

I've also seen some claims (and not much argument) that for basic hand tools HF is getting to be a good choice for the DIYer. It seems their quality has taken a big step forward over the past few years while the likes of Craftsman and other consumer brands have taken a few steps back. I've thought about putting together a second set of tools so I can have one in the garage and one in the shop and I'd probably seriously consider it. Especially now that there's a store 10 miles from my house.

Curt Harms
01-09-2014, 9:25 AM
I bought the 2 ton engine lift and use is for lifting equipment and such. It works well but just like any other hoist or lift, never put myself in a position where it can fall on me. It has been great for moving things around like a cabinet saw by myself.

I have the engine hoist as well, and for the same purpose. We use their appliance hand truck more though. 600# capacity for $89.99 - 20%-25% off with the coupons that are everywhere.

Rick Potter
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
That reminds me about my favorite HF tool which I completely forgot.

It's a 1400# electric winch that I have hung from a 6X12 in the garage. It is great for unloading tools off the back of my pickup. As I remember, the heaviest tool I have loaded was about 1000 pounds. I just back the truck in, lift the tool a few inches, drive out, put a mobile base under it, drop the tool down, and roll it out.

The perfect gift for anyone who wants to save his back.

Here's a couple pics. Not the best, but all I have. I had to take the RAS apart, because it was too tall to back into the garage, even after letting the air out of the tires. You cannot actually see the hoist, it's up above.

279458 279459 279460 279461

John Coloccia
01-09-2014, 1:34 PM
I bought one of these last year, and was very impressed...still am:

http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-cabinet-44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-68784.html

I believe it's made in China and is one of just a small handful of products I've bought from China in the last couple of years. Harbor Freight carries a lot of JUNK, and some of their power tools are just downright dangerous....routers with collets that vibrate loose come to mind...buyer beware. This particular item is almost as nice as my heavy duty Craftsman cabinet and I'd recommend it to anyone without reservation. The 3 big drawers can hold about 75lbs each and the little drawers about 60lbs each.

What's the catch? My Craftsman chest can hold 100lbs per drawer...period. If I were a pro mechanic and wanted to fill it up to the top with metal, I'd have something in the Craftsman/Snap-On/MAC brands, depending on my specific needs. For a general use tool cabinet that's not going to be packed with tools? It's hard to beat this particular unit.

Rich Riddle
01-10-2014, 7:04 PM
John,

I was in Harbor Freight today to purchase an inexpensive tarp and hole saws and looked at those tool cabinets. They are very impressive and have bearing slides on them. They surpass the American made cabinets in my garage by quite a long shot.

Michael Mahan
01-10-2014, 7:59 PM
John,

I was in Harbor Freight today to purchase an inexpensive tarp and hole saws and looked at those tool cabinets. They are very impressive and have bearing slides on them. They surpass the American made cabinets in my garage by quite a long shot.
Today : I got some $2.oo tarps , a few $8.oo dollies , "Blow Out Sale" , I went for the dollies , been waiting on them dropped to that price
re-arranging the garage needed dollies to stage stuff , Hey those hex , allan , torx hand drivers were a steal :)

Brian Elfert
01-10-2014, 8:52 PM
I bought a used Harbor Freight tool cart that was basically new. Very nice quality. I ended up selling it because it didn't work for what I wanted to use it for. No fault of the tool cart.

David C. Roseman
01-11-2014, 7:38 PM
I bought one of these last year, and was very impressed...still am:

http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-cabinet-44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-68784.html

[snip]...If I were a pro mechanic and wanted to fill it up to the top with metal, I'd have something in the Craftsman/Snap-On/MAC brands, depending on my specific needs. For a general use tool cabinet that's not going to be packed with tools? It's hard to beat this particular unit.

John, coincidentally, I was in HF a couple of weeks ago with a buddy who is a pro mechanic, retired a few years ago. His tool cabinets are either Snap-On or MAC, can't recall which. He stopped short when he saw that base cabinet, and the companion cabinet that fits on top. He was very impressed. First reaction was that it rivaled his professional cabinets, then decided the ball-bearing slides may not be quite as heavy duty. But he wasn't sure of that, and still wouldn't have hesitated to go with it if he had a need. I think HF has upped their game with that line of cabinets.

David

David C. Roseman
01-11-2014, 7:55 PM
That reminds me about my favorite HF tool which I completely forgot.

It's a 1400# electric winch that I have hung from a 6X12 in the garage. It is great for unloading tools off the back of my pickup.

We've had the HF 880 lb electric winch permanently mounted over the hayloft door of our barn, just inside, for ten years. We use it four or five times a year to lower and raise our hay elevator, which stays in the loft out of the elements. It's never missed a beat.

David

John Coloccia
01-11-2014, 8:28 PM
John, coincidentally, I was in HF a couple of weeks ago with a buddy who is a pro mechanic, retired a few years ago. His tool cabinets are either Snap-On or MAC, can't recall which. He stopped short when he saw that base cabinet, and the companion cabinet that fits on top. He was very impressed. First reaction was that it rivaled his professional cabinets, then decided the ball-bearing slides may not be quite as heavy duty. But he wasn't sure of that, and still wouldn't have hesitated to go with it if he had a need. I think HF has upped their game with that line of cabinets.

David

I think I got mine during some sort of uber sale. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was sickeningly low...even less than the current sale, I believe. I'm pretty sure it was less than $300. Then I happened to be hanging out with a my friend Mike, and it turns out that he had bought one too, with a side cabinet. He didn't want the side cabinet, so I took that off his hands for $100, I think. He just wanted it gone and didn't want to have to give it away.

All in all, I did pretty well on this particular purchase. I'm considering getting the other side drawers before they do something stupid, like discontinue it.

Matt Meiser
01-11-2014, 9:47 PM
I think the general gist is the crinkled red paint ones were pretty darn good, the glossy red paint ones they stepped it up a notch.

Steve Meliza
01-11-2014, 11:39 PM
For those of you that buy a HF tool for a single job for less than rental fees, consider this. I purchased a made in USA flooring nailer that is respected by flooring professionals used on eBay for $250. I used it to casually install about 500 sq. ft. of new red oak flooring of the course of a few weeks and it ran like the champ it was. When the job was done I turned around and sold it for .... $250. That's cheaper than a HF flooring nailer and I got to use a quality tool for free instead of fighting with cheap junk. Won't work for every tool and job, but consider it for those truly one time use tools.

David C. Roseman
01-12-2014, 4:51 PM
For those of you that buy a HF tool for a single job for less than rental fees, consider this. I purchased a made in USA flooring nailer that is respected by flooring professionals used on eBay for $250. I used it to casually install about 500 sq. ft. of new red oak flooring of the course of a few weeks and it ran like the champ it was. When the job was done I turned around and sold it for .... $250. That's cheaper than a HF flooring nailer and I got to use a quality tool for free instead of fighting with cheap junk. Won't work for every tool and job, but consider it for those truly one time use tools.

Steve, that worked out, for sure, but now you don't have a flooring nailer. :( Granted, that's such a specialty tool that you may never need one again.

I was talking with the manager of a local HF a couple of weeks ago about the pays-for-itself-with-one-use concept. He said it's very frustrating to him that some folks buy the tool, use it for their job, then return it for a refund even though it worked fine! Apparently the HF business model is able to withstand this sorry practice, because they are opening retail stores right and left.

David

Brian Lefort
01-12-2014, 5:29 PM
As little as possible!

David Helm
01-12-2014, 6:01 PM
Nothing! Walked into the store a couple of years ago and walked right back out. Fortunately, I live in a town that has a real, old fashioned hardware store that stocks everything I could imagine. I do try to always buy locally.

Dan Masshardt
01-12-2014, 6:20 PM
Nitrile gloves, acid brushes, nut and bolt packs when on sale, the Goodyear rubber air hose

Stan Calow
01-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Found some decent Japanese flush cut saws there. The oscillating spindle sander they sell appears to be the same as sold under other major brand names at twice the price. 6" ROS sandpaper, and sometimes DeStaCo toggle clamps.

Greg Woloshyn
01-19-2014, 9:39 AM
Tarps
Disposable Brushes
Casters
Screws
Zip Ties

To name a few

David Weaver
01-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Quite often, that story goes more like "I spent 5 hours looking for a good used american tool for a decent price, I bought something, it needed some repairs and the seller refused to make it right, and then I had to fix it and sell it for a little less than I bought it".

I've been on the wrong end of that with all kinds of tools - if you're someone with a conscience and you get a tool that's got trouble the seller didn't describe, then you're really stuck.

Dan Alpern
02-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Hi all, new here, first post...but I've learned a lot from reading your forums, so here I am and happy to share.
I just cleaned up a used Central Machinery Benchtop 5-speed Drill Press S-987 - it's a tank and doing great. (looking for a manual) Before and after pics
I also have the compound miter saw (non-sliding) with a Freud blade, cuts like butter. Modified the fence, drill and tapped for sacrificial melamine and clamp room.
Metric and standard combo wrenches, owned for years, never once a problem working on tools and cars.
Rotary tool - bought for one job six years ago, the damn thing won't quit on me even though I wanted a dremel!
Various picks, bench vise, and drill bits - won't waste my time again on those.
Great for nitrile gloves, safety glasses, face masks, and rags when on sale. Two red tool boxes, solid!
(sorry, pics sideways from my phone)

Mike Olson
02-05-2014, 9:44 AM
I like their roping gloves, nitrile gloves, acid brushes, big 12 gauge 3 tap extension cords, clamps, the black 3/8" hand drill, angle grinders with cut-off wheels, the little white inverter stick welder, and the auto-tint welding mask.

I'm still on the fence about the 12" sliding miter saw I bought for $140. It works well but it was a PAIN to finally get adjusted. I had to take out the lock washers on the fence to get it to adjust properly :( hopefully it stays tuned.

The only tool i bought from them that i didn't like is their trim router, that was horrible, just horrible.

ray hampton
02-05-2014, 3:45 PM
I bought a number of fittings for air lines and h f got the fittings when other stores will run out of stock QUICK

Jim Laumann
02-05-2014, 3:51 PM
I bought one of the dark blue angle grinders, the two tray / 4 wheel shop cart, a couple furniture dollies, some of the LED flashlights, and expendables - cable ties, nitrille gloves, etc.

The angle grinder runs and runs - I use it for grinding concrete - ie tuck pointing concrete,etc.

Jim

Gary Baler
02-09-2014, 8:13 AM
I've found it hit or miss with HF ... but mostly hit.

Had a 4" belt sander I used for years. Replaced it with a 6" belt sander that is 3 years old and has hundreds of hours on it. The belts are great and about $3 each. Set of 5 for $15 ... compared to $20 each at Lowe's.

Large variable speed drill I use for drilling holes in floor lamps. I go to it before my Hole Hawg.

15 gallon compressor that has two years on it. Better than my old Ridgid compressor.

2hp dust collector has been great.

I didn't want to, but started turning and got the 12x33 lathe. I turned about a 100 bowls on it and the vs system broke. Took it back and they replaced the lathe. Have turned a couple hundred bowls with that and upgraded to a 16-24 Nova lathe. Son is using the HF lathe to make wood rings.

Their cheap angle grinders go forever. The floppy discs are good ... and cheap.

Also use epoxy for putting hardware in lamps. Plastic ties are great. Have a pneumatic stapler I use all the time. Have a pneumatic impact tool that have used for years ... but not much ... works good.

One of my sons has a beef and wild game processing operation. He uses the electric winch sp? to lift beef quarters, buffalo and wild game off the pickups of people who bring it in. He has two and a backup. Has never used the back up after 10 years.

Sometimes it is hit or miss with corded items. Have had bad luck with belt sander and electric planer. Had a compressor that pooped out in 2 yrs. but it only cost $79.

Over all, I am hundreds (if not thousands of dollars ahead).