PDA

View Full Version : solid bowl bottom

Jim Colombo
01-06-2014, 3:00 PM
I'm thinking of making a segmented salad bowl set (large salad mixing bowl and 6 serving bowls) for a wedding gift. Up to this point I've only made segmented bowls with a floating base but that obviously won't work with a salad bowl. So my question is, have any of you had problems with solid bases on segmented bowls?

Bob Coates
01-06-2014, 8:28 PM
No, I have made many with solid bases usually 7 or less on base. The bases have been walnut, oak, cherry, or ash. I just finished a set of salad bowls for a friend of my son, unfortunately didn't take picture. The wood I use has been aged for over a year in the shop, if that makes any difference. You could have problems if you just got some from hd or lowes.

Tim Boger
01-06-2014, 8:59 PM
I've made dozens of segmented bowls by gluing the first ring directly to a circular piece of wood ..... I don't think I could find one that has failed yet. Many are 6-8 years old.

From most of the written reference manuals available my success is the exception to the rule.

I'd say go for it.

Tim

Greg Just
01-06-2014, 9:07 PM
Jim:
I recently completed segmented class with Malcolm Tibbett's and his recommendation was to use quarter sawn wood for a solid base. Quarter sawn wood will not move as much.

Good luck,
Greg

Richard Coers
01-06-2014, 10:18 PM
No one is talking about diameters or species? I'm sure that 3" bases will never give a problem. Over 6" will be a completely different story.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-07-2014, 12:29 AM
Jim, there's probably not much need for a base diameter larger than 4"-5" (the smaller the better). And as Greg wrote above, selecting a piece of quarter sawn wood (vertical growth rings in a horizontal board) will decrease potential wood movement issues. Maintaining a good finish is also advisable.

Jim Colombo
01-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Jim