PDA

View Full Version : Gluing up a panel

Vince Shriver
01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
If a panel is glued up, say seven or eight 6" boards (or even more), I assume the whole panel is subject to expand and contract as a single unit. How about a back yard fence panel? Rather than putting a space between the individual vertical planks as is the norm for wooden fences, can a panel be glued up as a single unit without bad results?

Mel Fulks
01-06-2014, 1:21 PM
I'm sure some others are with me ...in not understanding the question .Panels usually consist of glued boards ,but what is your objective? Are you making a fence and wanting maximum privacy? Or are you making furniture?

Sam Murdoch
01-06-2014, 1:30 PM
For a fence panel? Yes you can expect wood movement and some problems with the entire panel cupping at the size you describe. You would need to make up rails and stiles frames as if building doors - possibly with a mid rail (so a top and bottom panel). The panels will need to "float" loosely in the frames. I would not go more than 4' wide per section. You need to incorporate drainage in the bottom and mid rails and completely finish the panels (all edges and faces) before setting them into the frames for best longevity.

Sean Hughto
01-06-2014, 1:57 PM
You might consider shiplap or tongue and groove.