PDA

View Full Version : Last minute Lee Valley purchase

Cody Kemble
01-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I am going to place an order before the free shipping event runs out, but can't decide which plane I would use more. I am torn between the large shoulder plane and the BU Jack. I don't have a shoulder plane, but I still have a horizontal router setup from before I embraced hand tools that works quite nicely. I have an old #5 that I tuned up that I dont really use that much, so I don't know if I would get the use out of that either. I was wondering if any of the more experienced Neanders had any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cody

Joe Bailey
01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
It sounds as if you do not have a pressing need for either plane at this point.
Have you been sucked into thinking that you just have to order something, lest you miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?
If so, rest assured that i) free shipping promotions come along at regular intervals, and ii) any amount you save on shipping is negligible in proportion to what you will spend on a tool you may never use.

george wilson
01-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Yabbut,nice tools make you feel good when you go into your shop!!:)

Chris Griggs
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Well what task are you looking to make better/more efficient? Smoothing, jointing, and shooting or trimming rabbets, shoulders and cheeks?

Its doesn't sound like you use bench planes much so you may have no need for the LA Jack. Where as a large shoulder could be nice to have for trimming/dialing machine cut joinery.

Adam Petersen
01-06-2014, 1:36 PM

You're darn skippy they do!

You were being facetious, weren't you?

Sam Stephens
01-06-2014, 1:40 PM
i'd probably look at a router plane as well. they're pretty darn useful imo cleaning dado bottoms and trimming tenon cheeks

Jim Koepke
01-06-2014, 1:40 PM
What a dilemma, money to spend and no tool really needed.

If you can not find a lot of uses for a #5 you likely do not need a LA Jack.

The last free shipping event was not that long ago.

Once people spend there Christmas money the next free shipping will likely come along at the end of tax filing season.

jtk

Joe Bailey
01-06-2014, 3:37 PM

Had to play the ol' trump card, didn't you?

george wilson
01-06-2014, 3:42 PM
What other card can I play when a guy is itching to buy tools he doesn't seem to need?:) How else can I be supportive of his tool pigging instincts??? I am such a tool hog myself I can barely find room to work!!:):):)

Ron Patrick
01-06-2014, 3:47 PM
What George said, plus, when you have nice tools, you find a reason to use them.

george wilson
01-06-2014, 4:29 PM
Yes,it is true. Nice tools help inspire you.

Joe Bailey
01-06-2014, 5:12 PM
OK - in an uncharacteristic display of unanimity, the forum has spoken.
You should definitely buy something.

My vote is for the LV shooting plane http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=70926&cat=1,41182,48945&ap=1

Jonas Baker
01-06-2014, 6:26 PM
I think you should get an unneeded tool if you think that it would be enjoyable to use, and it could possibly get you into using more hand tools. I think there's no better way to get into hand tools then by having a nice plane that works properly and is built well, and any of the planes you mentioned will, so I say go for it. I say get the bevel up jack, as it has plenty of uses even in a power tool shop.

Tony Zaffuto
01-06-2014, 6:44 PM
I'm a tool hog myself! Some I try to use occasionally, others, I just leave on the shelf to reproduce!

Leigh Betsch
01-06-2014, 7:27 PM
Have you been sucked into thinking that you just have to order something
Truer words have never been spoken.
Unless it is these:
Yabbut,nice tools make you feel good when you go into your shop!!

I ordered a Bad Axe dovetail saw.........

Harold Burrell
01-06-2014, 8:01 PM
OK...I have a fix for your dilemma...

Money to spend, but no real need for a tool?

No problem...

Buy me something. I'll send you pictures. ;):D

Chris Hachet
01-06-2014, 8:21 PM
i'd probably look at a router plane as well. they're pretty darn useful imo cleaning dado bottoms and trimming tenon cheeks
I find mine very useful.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
I absolutely love my large shoulder plane, but wish I had gotten the medium. The large is quite hefty. The bevel up jack makes a fine shooting plane and with four blade options it is quite versatile. I say go for that one- likely to get more use. Build a shooting board while you wait.

Matthew Hills
01-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Main uses for the LAJ:
- shooting (
- toothed blades
(I prefer an old bailey #5 with camber for milling more behaved woods before I go to a jointer)

The Veritas plow plane is very nice, if somewhat specialized.

Medium shoulder plane is well-liked. I've got an LN medium shoulder plane--also something of a niche tool.
Router plane is probably more versatile for general hand tool work than either of the two above.

LV gets a lot of my money for work-holding doodads.

Or maybe just get the Veritas apron and apron plane. (you can amaze and impress your friends when you "forget" to take it off as you head out of the shop)

Matt

Adam Cruea
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
OK - in an uncharacteristic display of unanimity, the forum has spoken.
You should definitely buy something.

My vote is for the LV shooting plane http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=70926&cat=1,41182,48945&ap=1

I second the vote for the shooting plane! With a PM-V11 blade, too! :D