PDA

View Full Version : I got a ShopVac for the dogs...

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-12-2005, 1:11 AM
...actually it's a RIDGID...and it's a 'qualified' 50% success. Big boy doesn't seem to mind too bad...big girl is petrified. :eek:

HOWEVER...we learned today that LOML has wasted a few hundred dollars over the years in her search for the 'right' vacuum for the tile floors. The shopvac outperforms them all, by far. And it's quiter than the stick-broom screamers. And with the little bristle thingy attachment, it's a snap to hit the baseboards, window sills, ceiling molding, etc. as you go.

KC

Norman Hitt
06-12-2005, 3:09 AM
Hey Kirk, glad to hear it's working. Maybe Big Girl will come around after a few more sessions if she figures out she's getting first class treatment with a coif cleaning and massage all at once, like the "Rich Dogs". :D Those Rigid Vacs are pretty nice. I bought my daughters one for x-mas 2003 and they love it, but stupid me, is still using my 14 yr old Craftsman that I got back from them when I gave them the NEW one. :mad: (There is something just not quite right about this picture). :( :)

John Hart
06-12-2005, 6:50 AM
KC,

Here's an idea for 100% success. Get a long extension hose and put the shopvac in the closet. Then vacuum Big Girl with the noise muffled. This works for mine...maybe you too.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-12-2005, 7:34 AM
KC,

Here's an idea for 100% success. Get a long extension hose and put the shopvac in the closet. Then vacuum Big Girl with the noise muffled. This works for mine...maybe you too.

I tried that. She's a pretty smart dog...she can still see the hose. The fact that he likes it will work in our favor, eventually. They HATE it when the other one gets attention and they don't. I suspect she'll come around.

KC

Jim Becker
06-12-2005, 8:52 AM
KC..."Roomba". Best thing since sliced bread to keep stuff off the floors, including pet hair and other debris. And you can be surfing SMC while it's doing its work... ;) It even cleans under the beds...something that even the so-called "professional" always misses!

Kevin Arceneaux
06-12-2005, 10:51 AM
My wife did the same thing, the first one I bought is now an inside one and I had to get a bigger one :) for outside. She claims men keep quiet about these things.

Cecil Arnold
06-12-2005, 4:55 PM
Kirk, if mama likes that wouldn't she really like it if you got a cyclone and tapped off it for a central vac system for the house? Might want to give it a try, you never know what might fly.

Jim Becker
06-12-2005, 6:03 PM
Kirk, if mama likes that wouldn't she really like it if you got a cyclone and tapped off it for a central vac system for the house? Might want to give it a try, you never know what might fly.

Would likely work poorly, unfortunately. The blowers we use for dust collection, including those with cyclones, are designed for low pressure systems. The small hoses and pipes for a central vac system would raise the SP very high, making the blower pretty inefficient. Vac motors/blowers are designed for high pressure.

Cecil Arnold
06-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Would likely work poorly, unfortunately. The blowers we use for dust collection, including those with cyclones, are designed for low pressure systems. The small hoses and pipes for a central vac system would raise the SP very high, making the blower pretty inefficient. Vac motors/blowers are designed for high pressure.

Yeah, but it's a great excuse/justification for a cyclone.

Norman Hitt
06-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but it's a great excuse/justification for a cyclone.

...........and afterward he could always say,"Honey, I coulda SWORE those guys on the forum said it would work. :D :D

John Lannon
06-13-2005, 5:31 AM
Every time I start up my shop vac , my dogs come running. I have 2 Labs who absolutely love having a vacuum taken to thier backs.