PDA

View Full Version : Redwood burl vase

Frank Parker
06-12-2005, 12:04 AM
I thought I would show off a vase my boss commissioned me to do, I made it from a slab of redwood burl I had. The design is modeled after concrete ballisters we built for the civic center in Ukiah, Ca. A job we did several years ago. The vase is 3/4 scale compared to the concrete ones, it stands 17" tall by 5 1/2" around and finished with about a dozen coats of tung oil than buffed

Ernie Nyvall
06-12-2005, 12:13 AM
That's beautiful Frank. Some big chunk of redwood burl.

Ernie

Frank Parker
06-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I've still have this piece that I want to make in to a table but I'm having trouble coming up with a design for the base for it to sit on. I've got some walnut burl bowls roughed out and drying I'll post pictures after i finish them, the grain and figure in them is amazing

Ed Scolforo
06-12-2005, 6:22 AM
Try finding something like that in your local home gardening center! Beautiful job, Frank.
Ed

Jim Becker
06-12-2005, 9:36 AM
Wow! That's gorgious, Frank!! Very inspiring, too.

Carole Valentine
06-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Beautiful, Frank. When you say "vase" I am assuming it is hollow, but then it doesn't look like it from what I can see of the top? What size opening and what did you use to do the hollowing? How thick are the walls?

Frank Parker
06-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi all, thanks for the kind words, It's not hollowed out, I bored it out with a 1" drill and than inset with a glass tube for long stem cuttings like roses and such, that way you can keep them wet without any water seeping in to the wood.Frank

Brad Schmid
06-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Wow Frank, that's very nice! And that table slab is going to be something special when it's done too. Hope you'll post picks when the table is done.
Brad

Dawn Sunkle
06-12-2005, 5:52 PM
Very nice!!! I love the wood and the craftsmanship. You did a fantastic job.

Dawn

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-12-2005, 9:12 PM
Nicely done, Frank. Love that wood. I intend yo move back to Lakeport, CA, after ny house sells and I'll be sure to get over the mountain to see the new cibic center in Ukiah.

John Miliunas
06-12-2005, 9:53 PM
That's "Franktastic"!:) Gorgeous chunk 'o wood and your craftsmanship shows throughout and right down to the finish.:) Very well done and I'm sure your boss will be quite pleased.:cool:

Fred Ray
06-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Wish I had some Redwood burl like that, Frank. Though I'm not sure I could do as well as you did with it.

As for the table, Why not use the same balluster design for the legs for the table?? I realize it would be blending two different styles. But, why not?