PDA

View Full Version : Restraing Portable Air Compressor

Reginald Burgess
01-05-2014, 5:46 PM
Does anyone have good ideas for how to restrain a portable compressor so it doesn" "walk" around the shop when running? Thanks

Jerome Stanek
01-05-2014, 5:48 PM
have you tried putting it on a scrape piece of carpet or a rubber pad

Reginald Burgess
01-05-2014, 6:40 PM
Great idea. I'll look for a piece of rubber tomorrow

George Bokros
01-05-2014, 6:56 PM
My compressor has rubber feet so it does not bounce around.

George

johnny means
01-05-2014, 7:33 PM
Smack it on the nose with a newspaper when it acts up. Wor
ks on my kids

Mac McQuinn
01-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Had the same issue and attempted to kill (2) birds......My 3hp, 30 gallon horizontal compressor is mounted on a doubled(glued & screwed) 3/4" MDO platform attached to very heavy duty wall standards which are secured to 2x4 studs. Compressor is secured with 3/8" bolts at (4) locations. These bolts run through solid rubber bumpers, bolts are secured with lock nuts and tensioned to slightly compress the bumpers. Compressor runs with minimal vibration and with it mounted high up on the wall, thus giving me quite a bit of additional, usable space. You can "tune" the vibration to a minimal by adjusting the 3/8" bolts while allowing the compressor to run.

Mac

Larry Edgerton
01-06-2014, 4:34 AM
Its just the nature of the beast. I have four different brands, and three of the four walk. The worst one puts out the most air so I made a rig that will hang it in mid air. One side benefit of this was that it took a lot of noise out of it.

Larry

Loren Woirhaye
01-06-2014, 2:19 PM
Make a board with holes partway through for the rubber feet to sit inside of. If the board wants to walk too it should be easy to figure out a way to restrain it.

Reginald Burgess
01-08-2014, 7:26 PM
Thanks everybody. A rubber mat is working well and is quieter as well.