PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw has a flat tire!

Mark Stutz
01-05-2014, 5:32 PM
Well, sort of. It is just loose and comes off. And of course this happens just as I start my first resaw project in several years. And yes, I figure that is my problem.

Can't believe I registered here almost 10 years ago, but I haven't been able to do any woodworking for a few years. Sometimes life just gets in the way. New job, new state, new home, etc. and finally able to get a shop set up, slowly but surely. Not finished yet, but at least I thought I was able to do a small project. I started out years ago making boxes, so thought that woudl be a quick project. Got the bandsaw set up and adjusted all the guides.

Turned the saw on and :eek::mad: Terrible racket ensues. At first I thought the blade wasn't tracking right, but then I realized that the tire had come off! In reality, I guess I shouldn't have expected tires to last forever. Almost 8 years, with the saw just sitting for 5, isn't so bad.

So, gentlemen. I need tires. And blades. Are the blue urethane tires from Carter OK? Are the orange ones from PS Wood worth the extra price? Any others I didn't find on my initial web search?

I've used Timberwolf blades in the past. Olsen are about half the price, though. Worth the premium? And Lee Valley has Viking blades, that they say are formerly Timberwolf. Why do they call them Viking and Woodcraft still list them as Timberwolf? Any others to consider?

Thanks for helping get this old guy back to making sawdust!:)

Mark Draper
01-05-2014, 5:54 PM
I had to change the tires on a 20" powermatic probably 5 or more years ago I cant remember the brand but they are orange urethane. The biggest problem I had was putting a crown on them. I ended up truing and crowning them on the machines powered axle one at a time. What a pain in the rear but seems worth the trouble she runs so smooth and quiet its dangerous because you cant tell its running.

Lee Schierer
01-05-2014, 7:54 PM
I installed orange ones from Suffolk Machine (Timber Wolf Blades) on my Dad's 18" saw and was very happy with the results. It seemed like I needed three hands to get them on, but once on they stayed put and worked fine.

Jim Finn
01-06-2014, 8:18 AM
I have a G0555 and the tire was getting a little loose and causing a thumping so I took it off and applied a double layer of masking tape all around the wheel as a spacer and reinstalled the tire. Helped a lot. I use this saw mostly for re-sawing so I now use a three teeth per inch carbide saw blade from Grizzly that works well for this.

Bradley Gray
01-06-2014, 10:03 AM
For a hobby user I would expect tires to last longer than 8 years. I replaced the tires on my old Crescent in 1978 and they are still good with daily use. Jim's idea of shimming with tape sounds good, or just re-glue with rubber cement.

For band sawn boxes I like Linux 1/8 5 tooth pattern blades.(L R L R raker) Clean surface and great glue lines!

Mark Stutz
01-06-2014, 3:53 PM
For a hobby user I would expect tires to last longer than 8 years. I replaced the tires on my old Crescent in 1978 and they are still good with daily use. Jim's idea of shimming with tape sounds good, or just re-glue with rubber cement.

For band sawn boxes I like Linux 1/8 5 tooth pattern blades.(L R L R raker) Clean surface and great glue lines!

That is interesting. I just assumed that sitting idle for a long time had something to do with it.

I am reluctant to shim and reglue, since it was so loose that it came almost all the way off, and only stopped because ti hit the frame. Thank goodness the blade wasn't new.

I have a G0555 and the tire was getting a little loose and causing a thumping so I took it off and applied a double layer of masking tape all around the wheel as a spacer and reinstalled the tire. Helped a lot. I use this saw mostly for re-sawing so I now use a three teeth per inch carbide saw blade from Grizzly that works well for this.

Jim,
I will be using this mostly for resawing. I have a 14" JET with riser block, and have never used anything larger than a 1/2 blade. It looks like the Grizzly carbide blades only come as narrow as 5/8. do you have any issues with a 5/6 or 3/4 on a 14" saw?

And lastly, I'm assuming that I need to replace both tires if I replace one. The bottom one is tight, but I worry about it not tracking correctly with different tires.

Jeff Heath
01-06-2014, 4:59 PM
For BEST results, bandsaw tires should be made from rubber, not urethane, like so many that are sold. Also, they are glued on with epoxy, not contact cement.

One source for rubber wheels is Woodworkers Toolworks in Black River Falls, Wi. I have no affiliation.....just a satisfied bandsaw tire customer many times over. I have restored several old bandsaws, from 14" up to 36".

Don't forget to crown the tires.