PDA

View Full Version : TS Cabinet

Steve Gojevic
01-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Last week I installed a Delta T2 fence on my 1980s-era Craftsman flex-drive TS.

The fence made a big improvement in usability as I no longer have to fiddle around with multiple measurements so I can "make sure" the fence is correctly positioned.

Then I realized I need more table area and an outfeed table to make the saw even easier to use. So I decided to make a cabinet for the TS using mostly lumber I had laying around.

Here are some pictures:

The basic framework is 2x4s with simple joints held together with 3" deck screws. Any pieces that had high stress on them (such as the table saw shelf) had short pieces of vertical 2x4s under them to provide the actual support instead of relying on the shear of the screws. This resulted in a heavier frame but I believe it pays in being more solid and durable. The bottom is 3/4" plywood. The sides and back are pieces of old 1/4" masonite panelling. The casters are HF locking casters. Here is a picture of (most of) the frame:

The top is 3/4" MDF and also the table saw support shelf is MDF. This picture shows the notches to accommodate the rear rail of the T2:

Finally, the folding outfeed table is attached using 4" door hinges. The supports are expanding struts with telescoping tubes. Those with travel trailers will recognize these as "slide locks" and a similar item is a pickup truck cargo bar. I can "micro-adjust" the angle of the outfeed table by rotating the bars. Then when I fold it down, I push the lock button and it telescopes smaller so I can pull them out.

For dust collection I boxed in the area under the saw, added an inclined floor, a rear door (to clean it out) and a shopvac hose:

Here is the finished cabinet with miter slots cut:

I have to start making our kitchen cabinets, so some of the cabinets features will have to wait until I am done with them. Future enhancements include adding formica to the top, drawers to the front, and a router table to the right of the saw.

Steve

Phil Thien
01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
That came out great.

I especially like the method you used to support the outfeed.

I will be interested to hear how the shop vac does on your dust.

Keith Bohn
01-05-2014, 10:58 AM
An outfeed table is the single easiest safety feature you can add to a table saw.

A T-square fence is the single easiest feature you can add to make woodworking more fun.