PDA

View Full Version : Lasercut dongle Problems

simon harker
01-05-2014, 9:48 AM
Hello everybody,

First of all sorry my first post is asking for help but I really do need some :)

Basically I imported a 80W Laser machine from China, Set it up yesterday and it all works fine. The laser fires up and no problems at all.

My only problem is I cant get the software to work on my laptop. I believe the CD was missing with the drivers on and software so I downloaded lasercut 5.3 from the internet and it installs fine but it doesn't open. It gives me a error saying to insert the softdog and try again. The softdog is inserted and I did download some drivers that allowed it to be recognised by my computer. It is currently recognised as a smart card reader and is called sens elite v2?

I am running a 64bit windows 8 PC if that helps?

If anybody could give me any advice that would be amazing? I have emailed my supplier but was hoping I could get some help sooner from here as I am dying to get lasering :)

Thanks

Dave Sheldrake
01-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Hiya Si,

The dongle being seen as a senslok card is quite correct.

Usually it goes like this

Clean machine install

Plug in dongle

Install lasercut

update driver to 64bit version

plug in laser

I have heard a lot of reports of driver issues with windows 8 though especially the 64 bit version. It's not something I would recommend until a newer driver is available for the Senslok dongle system.

LaserCUT 6.1 is coming out soon and requires no Dongle so that should be an improvement.

cheers

Dave

Pete James
01-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I may be mistaken, but I do not believe the drivers are compatible with Windows 8. If you have a computer running Windows 7 give it a try.

simon harker
01-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Wow, Thank you guys for the fast response,

Does anybody have a copy of the 64bit driver that dave mentioned?

I am afraid my only computer is this one and I have seen people managing to get it working on windows 8. So if somebody could point me in the right direction for the 64bit driver that would be amazing?

Thanks

simon harker
01-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi,

I have managed to borrow a windows 7 laptop and I am having the same issues, I installed Laser cut, Installed the Drivers, Then inserted the dongle it was recognised as seselock in my device manager, I click update driver and it said it was upto date then i tried to launch lasercut and still the same problem. Do I need to have my laptop connected to the laser for it to open or should I be able to open it without the laser connected.

Thanks

Dave Sheldrake
01-05-2014, 10:56 AM
drop me a direct email Si and I'll attach the driver for you

cheers

Dave

juan rowe
05-20-2014, 1:36 PM
hi Dave
i am having the same problem, a friend of mine bought a laser cutting machine but the person he bought it from lost the cd, so i wend and downloaded lasercut and installed it but it doesnt read the dongle/softdog. could you maybe help me? is it because i must install a driver or what?

Dave Sheldrake
05-20-2014, 2:03 PM
Hi Juan,

I'm just off out for the evening but will post a tutorial when I get back in about 3 hours

cheers

Dave

juan rowe
05-20-2014, 2:16 PM
okay thank you very much! if you can also email me the driver or what ever will get the lasercut 5.3 that i downloaded to read that dongle it will be great.
thanks a lot Dave i really appreciate it!
have a great night
regards
Juan

Robert Walters
05-20-2014, 3:57 PM
Slightly off-topic and of course hindsight, but...

NEVER EVER BUY OR USE *ANYTHING* WITH A DONGLE, *EVER*!!!

They cause more havoc than they are worth.
If the dongle fails, most places charge the FULL LICENSE COST, not it's replacement value.

Yes, even though you paid $10,000 USD for that software, you lost/broke/sold your dongle for $5000 USD to some guy down the street and they will charge you another $10,000. At least that's the mentality these places have.

If you change/upgrade computers later on, compatibility is always in question.

Get find/beg/borrow/steal a dongle emulator even if you are fully legal and legit.

It's a piece of software that most use to "pirate" software, but in this case, it would allow you to run your legal copy of the software and not worry about losing, breaking, bumping, damaging, that little dongle. AND you can safely lock up the dongle in secure fire-proof enclosure in case you ever need it again.

Bill George
05-20-2014, 6:21 PM
Or go to LightObject dot com and purchase a new controller with software for less than $500. It does not require a "softdog" only connection to the controller to install the software. Uses LaserCad a far better software than LaserCut.

Dave Sheldrake
05-20-2014, 8:14 PM
Hi Juan,

got your PM, I'll email you the software you need :)

best wishes

Dave

Roy Nielsen
05-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Juan,

I went through the process of installing on a fresh copy of Win 7 32-bit a month or so ago. I had a nice writeup that went poof when I clicked to post it (something timed out or got disconnected between starting the post and finishing) and of course I didn't have it copied anywhere else. It was a pure pain to finally get it running. As I recall, what finally worked for me was to change the settings on the executables in question to run in Windows XP mode. Right-click the icon that should have been put on your desktop, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', in the drop down, select any of the Windows XP entries. I also had to do this for Corel Draw in order for the LaserCut plugin to work; the downside to this is that I no longer can open files from a file browser, I have to open directy within Corel.

Good luck,

Roy

Brian R Cain
05-21-2014, 9:55 PM
Slightly off-topic and of course hindsight, but...

NEVER EVER BUY OR USE *ANYTHING* WITH A DONGLE, *EVER*!!!

They cause more havoc than they are worth.
If the dongle fails, most places charge the FULL LICENSE COST, not it's replacement value.

Yes, even though you paid $10,000 USD for that software, you lost/broke/sold your dongle for $5000 USD to some guy down the street and they will charge you another $10,000. At least that's the mentality these places have.

If you change/upgrade computers later on, compatibility is always in question.

Get find/beg/borrow/steal a dongle emulator even if you are fully legal and legit.

It's a piece of software that most use to "pirate" software, but in this case, it would allow you to run your legal copy of the software and not worry about losing, breaking, bumping, damaging, that little dongle. AND you can safely lock up the dongle in secure fire-proof enclosure in case you ever need it again.

To add to Roberts reply, I have a friend who works in the imaging industry which includes photocopiers. He told me a while back there was a scam going on in the photocopier industry where they used dongles to limit how long the machines could be used for. You could take out a binding 5-year lease on a photocopier but find it stopped working after a year because you hadn't read the small print which said the dongle needs to replaced annually at a cost that makes it ridiculous having the thing on top of the lease costs you're obligated to.

As for dongles with lasers, how silly is that? Here in the UK, a lot of our schools use lasers which are often connected to laptops. At the end of lessons, the laptops get packed away but sometimes the dongle doesn't or a kid nicks it for fun. It's really not worth going there if you're buying a machine you expect to wake up in the morning and use without surprises.

It doesn't take a lot of working out that the dongle isn't doing you any favours does it? It there to do someone else a favour.

Lucy Lee
05-22-2014, 8:33 PM
The laser cut 5.3 seems not be compatible with the WIN8, ,but win7 64 bits will work

If need drivers, please visit our website to download,

Hello everybody,

First of all sorry my first post is asking for help but I really do need some :)

Basically I imported a 80W Laser machine from China, Set it up yesterday and it all works fine. The laser fires up and no problems at all.

My only problem is I cant get the software to work on my laptop. I believe the CD was missing with the drivers on and software so I downloaded lasercut 5.3 from the internet and it installs fine but it doesn't open. It gives me a error saying to insert the softdog and try again. The softdog is inserted and I did download some drivers that allowed it to be recognised by my computer. It is currently recognised as a smart card reader and is called sens elite v2?

I am running a 64bit windows 8 PC if that helps?

If anybody could give me any advice that would be amazing? I have emailed my supplier but was hoping I could get some help sooner from here as I am dying to get lasering :)

Thanks

Kev Williams
05-22-2014, 11:03 PM
If you can't make something work using your stupid smart phone-- like a laser engraver, a graphics program, a printer, a bookkeeping program-- then Windows 8 is utterly and completely useless. Doesn't surprise me a bit that even Bill Gates can't make it work...