PDA

View Full Version : Pics of oversize RJ bits

Gary Herrmann
01-04-2014, 7:52 PM
I have a bit problem.

I scored a few more bits recently and have gotten them cleaned up, sharpened and ready to go. The latest ones filled in the holes in the progression of the big RJs.

From left to right: 17, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32

They're all pre Stanley except for the 32. I've looked but haven't been able to find anything that lists all the sizes made by RJ or Stanley. I'm idly curious about that.

I've used the 32 in an auger handle. It isn't fun to use it in a 12" brace.

Still looking for a 3/16...

Eric Brown
01-04-2014, 9:06 PM
279014Here is a copy out of the 1899 catalog.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-04-2014, 10:03 PM
I originally started doing it to avoid splitting wood when drilling near an edge, but after a tip from someone here, (sorry I can't remember who!) I've started drilling pilot holes before using my larger bits in harder wood. Something around the size of the middle of the screw - large enough that the screw tip enters the wood cleanly, but small enough the threads still engage and help pull the thing through. It makes a heck of a difference, surprisingly enough. It's certainly not super easy or something, but it seems like a lot of time, the hardest part of driving a large auger bit is driving that wedged-shaped screw deeper and deeper into the wood rather than the actual cutting.

I feel like I've read elsewhere that the auger type bits were made more for construction rather than "fine" woodoworking, and that precision work often preferred center bits - certainly, I can't think off-hand of a lot of places where a three inch bit is used in traditional cabinetry - perhaps these would work a little bit easier in the construction materials?

Gary Herrmann
01-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks Eric!

Jim Koepke
01-05-2014, 1:57 AM
I can't think off-hand of a lot of places where a three inch bit is used in traditional cabinetry

In the back of cabinets to allow all the computer cord to be routed through. :D

Maybe for mortising large turnings.

I often use auger bits for doweling.

I think my biggest RJ bit is about an inch. Have to try and remember to look tomorrow.

jtk