PDA

View Full Version : Desk Fan

Jeff Wittrock
01-04-2014, 7:18 PM
A little tired of working on big projects, so decided to just make something for fun. My sone had a DC motor laying around that I had been thinking of making into a small desk fan and decided to finally do it. As things progressed, I think I got a little carried away for a desk fan, but it was fun to make.

I wanted to make something with a kind of retro aviation look to it.

The body is just a piece of schedule 40 pipe. I made the end plates, knurled knobs, and propeller hub from mild steel plate that I had laying around. I flame blued the steel parts except the body which I just didn't have enough heat to blue.

The base, uprights and blades are red oak. The uprights were laminated to produce the curve.

I designed a little PWM speed controller that mounts inside the steal tube along with the motor. The PWM controller gives me continuous speed adjustment from ~30RPM to maximum (I don't know quite what max RPM is, but it moves pretty good air). So why would anyone want to run a fan at 30 RPM? Well it doesn't move any air to speak of at that speed, but it looks pretty cool. The power supply is just a 12V wall wart that plugs into a connector on the back plate.

As you can see, there is no blade guard, which adds a little to the excitement of using it, but at 12W max power, it doesn't do to much damage even if I am careless.

glenn bradley
01-04-2014, 7:26 PM
How fun! Very cool.

Jim Matthews
01-04-2014, 8:15 PM
Okay - let me be the first to offer you "props".

Bruce Page
01-04-2014, 8:23 PM
That is really slick.

Christopher Pine
09-17-2014, 6:38 PM
Have you had it hit your hand yet? Is it lethal? :) I love how it looks! I mayhave to make one of these!

Chris

Doug Ladendorf
09-17-2014, 6:58 PM
That's neat. Did you design the propeller to any particular specifications?

Doug