PDA

View Full Version : First in a While

Toby Bouder
01-04-2014, 6:47 PM
Fell off a ladder before Thanksgiving and broke a few ribs. This is my first piece since then. It is Box Elder burl that I thought I would spice up with some dye. I started with a strong mix of red transtint and water to cover the few flame areas with a fine brush. Then I added more water to the mix and used a soldering acid brush to stipple over all the burl eyes and a few of the streaky areas on the rim. Then I added some more water and a few drops of blue transtint to the mix and washed over the whole piece with the now light purple mixture. I noticed that certain areas picked up more of the blue color from the purple so I dumped out about 2/3 of the mix and added more blue to create a darker purple. I used this to enhance the areas that were picking up the blue. Several coats of wipe on poly and Beall buffed. 11" x 2 3/4". Comments and criticisms please.

charlie knighton
01-04-2014, 6:57 PM
like the wood, really like your technique with the dye, very nice

Dirk Hoogendoorn
01-04-2014, 7:44 PM
I really love what the dye does to the colour of the burl piece. Very nice form too in my humble opinion. Very well done!!

Doug Herzberg
01-04-2014, 7:54 PM
I like the form, Toby. Interesting process and a good result. I especially like the details, the little ridge at the rim and the step in the ogee. It's a lot thinner than it looks in the top view. Nice work. Thank for posting.

I fell stepping onto a 7' porch roof a couple summers ago. Multiple compression fractures, but no ribs. I sympathize. Hope you heal completely and soon.

Harry Robinette
01-04-2014, 8:48 PM
Toby sorry about the accident hope everything comes out ok. Don't know about you but I'd say that is a very beautiful bowl,I love the shape and the dye job is beautiful also.

Steve Doerr
01-04-2014, 9:41 PM
Toby, what a great turning. You did a wonderful job on the detail on the bowl. My thoughts and comments are just like Doug's.

I too have fallen off a few ladders these past few years and the wife has told me that I can no longer allowed to get up on one. Most of the time, I follow her direction on this, but there are still times I need to use the step ladder around the house. I've learned my limits and am much smarter now. Good luck on your recovery. I would say your turning shows that you didn't forget anything concerning turning during your absence.
Keep up the great work.
Steve

Bob Bergstrom
01-04-2014, 9:42 PM
You've done everything I like in a bowl. Great us of the wood, great use of dyes, and the bead work is placed in just the right places. I love it all. Thanks for making my day.

Thomas Canfield
01-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Very nice with the bead at the rim of the bowl section and flat outer. That must have been a little tricky, and also the treatment underneath. It definitely would stand out in a mix of displayed items.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-05-2014, 12:23 AM
That fall didn't do any damage to your turning skills Toby, very nice turning and the coloring did really give it an exotic look, thanks for showing :)

Toby Bouder
01-05-2014, 1:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I am feeling better, probably 80% back now. Still finishing the transfer of my work space from basement to renovated pole-building/garage. I will post more pieces as I get them finished.

Gus Dundon
01-07-2014, 2:54 PM
I am in awe!That's totally a beautiful wood! Nicely turned. You did a great job.

Eric Holmquist
01-07-2014, 5:20 PM
Beautiful form, and nice detail on the ridge under the rim. The dye job is excellent, great use of color to accent the figure of the burl. Well done.