PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Roman Ogee Bowl

John Hart
06-11-2005, 8:36 PM
Well..this bowl really tested me. I started out with a cracked walnut blank that I didn't want to end up in a grab bag box for someone else. I figured that I could try and if it failed...big deal!

So I went for a shape that I'm fond of. Half way through, my tool caught the crack and the bowl shattered....skeered me too! So I picked up the pieces and epoxied them back together. Then, wham! it broke again in a different place...So I repaired that. Then there was the fight with the fuzzies where the endgrain wanted to stand up. So, I've had enough. I finished it with witches brew and then beeswax.

On the bright side, I got the curve in the bottom down pretty good and my wall thickness is even at a little over 1/4". It's 7.5" Diameter and 3.5" high

The next one is going to be perfect dang it!!!

Ernie Nyvall
06-11-2005, 8:41 PM
Wow, for all the problems you wrote of, it really looks nice. I like that form and the darkness of the walnut.

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2005, 9:15 PM
John,

Walnut is one of the hardest woods in a bowl to finish and get it to look good. The bowl I finished up for Chris Padilla took me a week of sanding to get it to look half way decent. One trick I have found on walnut is to "wet sand" it with mineral spirits soaked in a rag. Hold the rag to where the fresh sanding grit will get caught in the rag before it reaches back around to the sandpaper. It helps the sandpaper to last longer and to cut better as the MS helps to soften the wood fibers to a point. Wet sanding with this method with 600 and 800 grit leave the walnut bowl smoother than a babies "you know what" and helps you see what the bowl looks like with a finish on it before you even put the first drop of finish on the bowl.

So far, walnut is the only wood...besides ash, that I've had to wet sand real good to get it to look presentable. Start the wet sanding with 220 grit and watch the pressure with the sandpaper.....make the pressure lite and easy and then to 320, 400, 600 and finally to 800. Give it a try on your next walnut bowl....I think you will be pleased with the results.

Nice shape and very nice bowl. Sorry you had so many troubles with it, but walnut for me has been just that....problematic....but when it all goes right? It's beautiful. :D

Jim Ketron
06-11-2005, 9:58 PM
I like Dennis have found that walnut is tough to get a nice finnish sometimes. I had problems with fine micro scraches. Did some wet sanding and it done the trick!

Nice shape on the bowl John keep-em comming

John Hart
06-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys. I'm really loving this. Dennis, you almost make me regret not asking before I declared this thing finished...almost. I really need to start anew and I'll definitely try your advice on the next one!Thanks much

Jim Becker
06-12-2005, 9:35 AM
John, I really like this form...it's just great!

Finishing walnut turnings for me means slathering them with oil or oil/varnish while still on the lathe, letting it soak in for a little while and buffing it off with a soft cloth with the lathe running, repeating 5-8 times. This after sanding to at least 400 if not 600. Once that cures for a day or two, I'll part off/finish cut the very bottom and oil that area manually. When everything has cured for at least a week, I buff with the Beall system. I've even used this finish on "wet" walnut (not the ice cream topping, of course... ;) ) with good results. The oil really brings out the greens, golds and purples that are in natural black walnut!

Carole Valentine
06-12-2005, 10:03 AM
You're a brave man John Hart! If a bowl blows up on me, there is no way I am going to put it back on the lathe, epoxy or no epoxy! Too chicken!:o Were you wearing your face shield?:D

Takeshi Uchida
06-12-2005, 10:20 AM
I like the shape and the grain.Walnut is one of my favorites.
I agree with Carole. If I found dangerous crack, I felt fear and threw it into wood stove. John,you are brave and also patient man

Jason Roehl
06-12-2005, 2:19 PM
Very well done, John! I like the color and the form both.

Mike Ramsey
06-12-2005, 10:22 PM
John, another spectacular piece considering what you had to do!! I think you used the right finish as to me it kinda looks like a witches cauldron :) .

John Hart
06-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all your kind words everyone...You could replace "brave" with "stupid" however!!:rolleyes: Yes Carole...I was wearing my face shield...all for nothing though...everything blew back and away. You would think the bowl would have the courtesy of whacking me in the face when I go to all the trouble of wearing proper protection!! Maybe next time!

The next walnut bowl is going to be a nice piece of wood and I'll try some of these suggestions

Thanks so much.

Fred Ray
06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Nice job, John. But, be careful what you ask for with that "blow back in the face" comment. I really wouldn't want you to get that wish.:(

John Shuk
06-14-2005, 9:28 PM
What seems to work for me with walnut is this. I sand to about 180 or 220. Then I use a 1lb cut of shellac and put it on let it dry (about 10-15 minutes) them sand with my 220 and them keep sanding. It seems to work for me. I'm not a master of sharpening and I don't cut the fibers too cleanly sometimes but it does seem to work. Also the wood will take an oil finish after this because the cut is so light and you pretty much sand it away.

John Hart
06-14-2005, 10:12 PM
John, another spectacular piece considering what you had to do!! I think you used the right finish as to me it kinda looks like a witches cauldron :) .

heh heh...I just saw your post Mike. The witches cauldron has found it's place amongst the other cooking stuff in the kitchen...I think you're right!!;)

John S,
That sounds like a pretty good solution to me! I still haven't worked with Shellac. I gotta get some and try it out. I have another chunk of walnut waitin'. So many methods..so little time.:)

Jeff Sudmeier
06-15-2005, 8:15 AM
John, that bowl looks great! For all of the fits it put you through, it turned out wonderful.

John Shuk
06-15-2005, 8:19 PM
heh heh...I just saw your post Mike. The witches cauldron has found it's place amongst the other cooking stuff in the kitchen...I think you're right!!;)

John S,
That sounds like a pretty good solution to me! I still haven't worked with Shellac. I gotta get some and try it out. I have another chunk of walnut waitin'. So many methods..so little time.:)
The shellac works pretty well. I mix my own in a small jar but you could also buy premixed and cut it down with denatured alcohol. I use it for most stuff. I kind of like the idea of using such a traditional finish as well.

keith zimmerman
06-16-2005, 12:38 PM
I have another variant to sanding walnut. I apply oil to the walnut on the lathe before any sanding is done. After the oil soaks in and dries, I sand through the grades, to at least 320 or maybe higher, then I finish the bottom and part it off. Once off the lathe, I apply several more coats of oil finish, then buff once the oil finish is completely dry.

Keith