PDA

View Full Version : Sanding disc storage

Jim Phipps
01-04-2014, 4:41 PM
For those of you who use 5 or 6 inch sanding discs, have you found a good way to organize them? I've got a nice little organizer from the box store for 2 and 3 inch discs but I can't find anything big enough for 5 inchers.

Bill Huber
01-04-2014, 4:59 PM
Here is what I have done, I cut dados about every inch so I could move the shelf as needed, it is all scrap MDF and hardboard.

The big thing is the little MDF block, it keeps them flat, I hate it when they roll up.

Doug Herzberg
01-05-2014, 1:52 PM
Jim, mine isn't as fancy as Bill's. In fact, I may copy his, but I'll still hang it on the wall. When I need it, I can lift it down to the bench, but when I don't, it's out of the way.

As for the small disks, I love the clear plastic Talenti gelato containers. Gelato's pretty good, too, except the weird flavors.

Bob Vallaster
01-09-2014, 7:59 PM
A lidded container for the Frog (green) brand masking tape available makes a dandy container for 5" disks.

charlie knighton
01-09-2014, 8:56 PM
Steve Worcester packages each different size grit in like a sandwich bag, they are labeled, i just put them on the bandsaw table when i need them, then back in the drawer (if i clean up)

Jim Underwood
01-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Doug! :eek: You think you have enough right angle die grinders? Maybe you should buy a couple more... You really have a thing against having to change grits, eh? :rolleyes:

Doug Herzberg
01-10-2014, 7:59 PM
Doug! :eek: You think you have enough right angle die grinders? Maybe you should buy a couple more... You really have a thing against having to change grits, eh? :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that, Jim. They're on sale again at HF for around $11 and I was thinking about picking up a few more. The sanding disks are twist-loc, also from HF, so it isn't the grit, just the diameter. They do spin too fast for the rotary rasp, so I'm going to move that to an angle drill.

Jim Underwood
01-10-2014, 9:08 PM
Don't they eat up lots of CFM though? I don't think my compressor could keep up...

Bart Leetch
01-10-2014, 9:57 PM
And another sanding disc storage device.

Harry Robinette
01-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I use a old floppy disc box it works great for 4 and 5" disc.

Dennis Nagle
01-10-2014, 11:45 PM
I just picked up an air orbital sander with 2" and 3" H&L pads. Reading this thread made me start thinking about organizing my sanding discs. What I came up with is to buy a section of PVC with the inside diameter as close as I can get to both the 2 and 3 inch pads (one piece of PVC for each size) then cut them down just above the center, then section off for each grit. I hope this very quick drawing gives the right idea.

Rich Aldrich
01-11-2014, 5:21 AM
I use a old floppy disc box it works great for 4 and 5" disc.

So you are talking about the really old 5 1/4 discs... you can still find these boxes or you still have these types of boxes?

Doug Herzberg
01-11-2014, 7:44 AM
Don't they eat up lots of CFM though? I don't think my compressor could keep up...

Yes. I have an 80 gallon tank at 150 psi. It's reduced to 90 psi at the outlet. I cycle the compressor after a few minutes, usually before I get through all the grits.

chris ormsby
01-11-2014, 8:37 AM
I use a storage box for 5 1/4 floppy disks. I actually remember those and feel a bit older now that I put it in writing. It is nice with a hinged cover to keep airborne dust off them when not in use.