PDA

View Full Version : Some goblets and a teapot stand

Ryan Mooney
01-04-2014, 2:31 PM
Couple of turnings I got done over the holidays. Apologies for the poor picture quality my picture taking setup is .. lacking.

One in Not Walnut (its another nut wood I got from a buddy, but can't remember specifically what he said it was, finished real nice though) and walnut I got from a friends tree I helped clean up (the goblet went back to him :D). I've been playing around with adding some carvings to some of these like the walnut one. Still working on proportions so can see where that is lacking some especially on the walnut one (and the other was the "prototype" sigh :o).

We have a nice little cast iron teapot, unfortunately it doesn't like to sit on the counter or it sweats and stains and rusts so I made a small trivet like stand for it. Maple burl (looked much nicer on the inside than it did on the outside otherwise may have saved it for something fancier :rolleyes: oh well). About 1/4" thick except for the center ring I left thicker at around 3/8".

278969 278970

C&C welcome.

Dave Cullen
01-04-2014, 2:51 PM
Nice work. Definitely gonna solicit the "How'd he do dat" comments from onlookers.

charlie knighton
01-04-2014, 3:28 PM
like your goblets, nice carving and turning the rings

russell dietrich
01-04-2014, 3:52 PM
Ryan,
I like the way you combine turning and carving. Your spoon a few months back encouraged me to try a twist handled spoon. I also decided to join a carving club so I could get hints on relief carving on my steins. Keep up the good work, and I hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas in future projects.

Ryan Mooney
01-04-2014, 6:19 PM
Ryan,
I like the way you combine turning and carving. Your spoon a few months back encouraged me to try a twist handled spoon. I also decided to join a carving club so I could get hints on relief carving on my steins. Keep up the good work, and I hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas in future projects.

Absolutely by all means go ahead. I've borrowed a ton of ideas from other folks here and elsewhere and have only half figured out a lot of these ideas myself. The tulip and other flower form goblets is an evolving idea for me, there are a lot of other different variations on it (I sort of went for a more open flower version of this and added a bit more carving to add more depth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjb5EmiCHBU). Similarly most of the carving elements are about one step removed others who are much more talented than me in that regard so it all goes around :D

Would love to see your spoon.

What do you finish your steins with? I think some chip carving could look really cool on those, giving them a bit of a viking flair.. Hmm.. :D

There are some future designs in the same basic form I'm working on; so far they look a lot more like a first grade finger painting project than what I'd envisioned but we'll see where it goes.

russell dietrich
01-06-2014, 6:01 PM
Ryan,
I typically use either walnut/oil mix (4:1) or 5 minute epoxy mixed and dissolved in denatured alcohol. The epoxy held liquid in a goblet made from a bowling pin (low moisture content wood) for 2 hrs with no visible effects. When left overnight the goblet split (not at the glue joint).
I gave the spoon as a present to one of my sisters. When I find which one has it I will post a picture.