PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for white pine

Dwight Kelley
01-04-2014, 1:25 PM
Just throwing this out there to field varied responses and get ideas. I'm very much about natural finishes and avoiding stains and polyurethane. I'm working on a little box of white pine with a basswood bird I am carving to rest on the lid. I'm willing to take a different route because this is for the wife and she said she wouldn't mind it having a little color. We already have a white pine box in the home finished with tung oil. I've seen white pine with walnut stain and I don't like it. What can work here? I know a lot of personal taste is at work here. Not as familiar with coloring and staining because I've preferred natural finishes like tung oil and Landark for years and years. Would appreciate any time and feedback.

Art Mann
01-04-2014, 1:47 PM
I am not sure whether it is "natural" enough for you, but Johnson's Paste Wax applied and buffed several times will provide a beautiful luster and is silky smooth to the touch. The finish won't protect very well against water or mechanical damage but it will look beautiful for a long time and all you need to rejuvenate the finish is a soft cotton rag. I have used this simple finish on several walnut and cherry boxes I have built and I have been pleased long term with the results.

David Cefai
01-05-2014, 1:13 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular wood but you could try this:

Make a very dilute solution of an acrylic paint and try staining with that. If the wood takes it you could mix colours to get what you want.

Howard Acheson
01-05-2014, 5:23 PM
The best way to help you decide what to do is to buy a pine board and section it off. Apply an assortment of stains and see how they look.

Brian W Smith
01-06-2014, 5:38 AM
You can also experiment with different surface treatments "before" colouring.Sandpaper grits,planed,scraped,abrading,wire brushing,sandblasting....all have noticeable effects on the finish's reaction.Exposure to weather can also be entertaining(I'm cheap to entertain,haha)......throw a test pcs out the back of shop and let it "weather" a while,before...during...or after.

You can also dig around for "old timey" salt treatments(thinking side yard "kitchen" tables).

Dwight Kelley
01-06-2014, 7:13 PM
Thank you Art. I don't mean to sound like an anti-stain snob. I'll check into that. Your response most appreciated.

Dwight Kelley
01-06-2014, 7:14 PM
Thank you, David. It's an option to certainly consider.

Dwight Kelley
01-06-2014, 7:15 PM
I'll probably make that part of the plan. Thanks, Howard!

Dwight Kelley
01-06-2014, 7:19 PM
Glad for more ideas. I have messed around alot with pickling, which turns it into an aged gray in minutes. With white pine it just makes it a rusty color. Hey...I just might experiment with that. "Old timey salt treatments"...I'll Google that. Thanks, Brian!

Dwight Kelley
01-06-2014, 7:22 PM
Thanks, guys....can always count on friendly feedback here.

Stan Calow
01-07-2014, 6:17 PM
I like making stain with walnut husks and ammonia. Makes a good "mission oak" type color on oak. Not sure what it looks like on pine.

Dwight Kelley
01-07-2014, 7:49 PM
I'll just have to find me some walnut husks! Thanks, Stan.

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Try tests on scrap pine..I'd try Garnet shellac padded on with 1/2 DA....BUT Test first to see if u like the look..