PDA

View Full Version : Lumber price check: Is this good?

Bob Weisner
06-11-2005, 7:03 PM
My hardwood lumber supplier just got back from his vacation (winter vacation :) ) , and I got this year's pricelist . So, how do these prices compare to other sawmills? All lumber is in the rough and air-dried 4 plus years.

HARD MAPLE $1.50

SOFT MAPLE $0.80

PINE $ 0.50

CHERRY $3.00 GOOD WITH MOST ALL RED

.80 FOR LOWER GRADE

POPLAR 0.80 CLEAR . 0.50 KNOTTY

BASSWOOD 0.70

All lumber is 4/4 except for the pine and some poplar he has some 8/4 in stock same price.

thanks,

Jim Becker
06-11-2005, 8:07 PM
Low...very low...compared to most places, but comparable to the guy I often buy from locally for air-dried material.

lou sansone
06-11-2005, 8:50 PM
Hey I am a a scrounger and even my guy is not that quite that low. I am not asking for souces, but just wonder where he is located. I assume in upstate NY

does he have a minimum for those prices and does he offer "log run" or do those prices indicate "skimming"
lou

Bob Weisner
06-11-2005, 9:07 PM
Only saws about once or twice a year, just to keep in compliance with the zoning code. No minimum. Skimming ? Don't know what you mean .

Jim Andrew
06-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Those prices sound dirt cheap to me. I bought some oak for 1.70 and poplar
for 1.30, and thought that I got a good price. Course it was delivered. Jim

lou sansone
06-12-2005, 1:07 PM
Only saws about once or twice a year, just to keep in compliance with the zoning code. No minimum. Skimming ? Don't know what you mean .

skimming is when you take the one or two really great boards that a log will usually give you and put in your private stash. Either way, it looks like you have found a good source for wood. I have a guy in pa that I deal with on a once a year basis. basically I come with money and a flat bed and take back 4000 lbs of wood each time. Who knows what I will do with it all, but I keep buying because he keeps selling.

scott spencer
06-12-2005, 2:55 PM
That's better than I can do...

Bob Weisner
06-12-2005, 3:48 PM
I know he still has one Cherry plank left that he was saving for me. That one measures 17.5 " wide x 8 feet long by 4" thick :D :cool:

Kent Cori
06-12-2005, 6:28 PM
Aaaarrgh! Why do these super deals never exist near me? :( :mad: :(

Curt Harms
06-12-2005, 6:46 PM
Aaaarrgh! Why do these super deals never exist near me? :( :mad: :(
They're found in the same places as BIG snowbanks, and I suspect Gainesville is as deficient in snowbanks as it is in cheap hardwood. ;) I lived in Trenton FL for a year back in the late '70's

Curt

Bob Weisner
06-12-2005, 6:49 PM
Kent;

I read in a woodworking magazine a few years back (think is was WOOD MAGAZINE, or Popular Woodworking), about a sawmiller in Florida that got himself a portable sawmill and was sawing up the trees that had fallen down during the hurricaines. Do you know if they still do that? I read in the article that they were sawing up Cuban Mahoganey (SP?) trees for the lumber.