PDA

View Full Version : Finally .....

Mick A Martin
01-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Well I finally fired up the laser yesterday and ran a few demo files that came with the laser, still a lot to learn.

Dan Hintz
01-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Envious... I'm still working on this stupid entertainment center in the basement <kicks wall>. I want to play, and I had hoped this weekend would be the one...

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-04-2014, 1:54 PM
Thanks for posting an update! I have been wondering what the winner has been up to on that shiny new machine. There are a few other members posting from Seattle ... maybe you can arrange a meet-up and receive some valuable tips from watching them do a thing or two?

Definitely post some updates on your progress! There are lots of us out here that would have loved to win that laser! :-)

Bert Kemp
01-04-2014, 3:02 PM
Dan I thought the new Laser was your entertainment center:D

Bruce Page
01-04-2014, 3:22 PM
Sweet! Between the Cobra ATC and the Trotec Laser there's not much that you can't do!

Dan Hintz
01-04-2014, 8:37 PM
Dan I thought the new Laser was your entertainment center:D

For me, yes... but the rest of the family insists upon non-laser entertainment options. Here is what has sucked up the last 2.5 weeks of my time:

Lots of work left (drywall, Cat6 cabling, hanging the TV, etc.), but the bulk of it is done (at least enough to let me get on with other things for a while). Maybe tomorrow I can swing a few hours with the new beast.

Mick A Martin
01-04-2014, 10:53 PM
There are a few other members posting from Seattle ... maybe you can arrange a meet-up and receive some valuable tips from watching them do a thing or two?

If there are any members in Seattle with a Trotec and are willing to show me the basics that would be great please contact me at mickmartin3-at-comcast.net.

Are there any videos out there showing how to use the Trotec job center (the official Trotec videos don't go into detail)

Keith Outten
01-05-2014, 2:21 PM
Mick,

I was wondering if you would ever appear again, haven't heard from you in a long time.
Spend as much time as you can in this forum. There are some incredibly talented people here.
You will find out real quick that a Laser Engraver ain't a printer, there is much to learn and a lot of techniques people use for a long list of materials. Also every laser engraver is different so you have to dial in your speed and power settings to suit your laser tube. Its not like CNC routers where you can share speed/rpm and cutter parameters.

The best source of information concerning Trotec's Job Control software is the manual. When you have specific questions you can get answers here but most questions are not machine specific in the laser world so anyone here will be able to help with the general learning curve.

Mick A Martin
01-05-2014, 3:30 PM
Mick,

I was wondering if you would ever appear again, haven't heard from you in a long time.

SORRY - I was working out of the country for 6 months then my daughters wedding, ......... etc etc

Thanks Keith for the advise .... I have been reading the manual and I will post if I have a specific question

Bert Kemp
01-05-2014, 4:13 PM
For me, yes... but the rest of the family insists upon non-laser entertainment options. Here is what has sucked up the last 2.5 weeks of my time:

Lots of work left (drywall, Cat6 cabling, hanging the TV, etc.), but the bulk of it is done (at least enough to let me get on with other things for a while). Maybe tomorrow I can swing a few hours with the new beast.Very nice, I see your quite a carpenter and cabinet maker also. Well the wife and kiddies should be very happy its almost done.

Mick A Martin
01-08-2014, 1:00 PM
After a few hours of drawing I finally cut a paper version of a wrought iron fence for my wife's miniature house, the fence is 14.5" long x 3" high. The second picture show the location where fence will be installed.

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-08-2014, 4:14 PM
Awesome! Great job Mick!

Keith Outten
01-08-2014, 5:46 PM
Mick,

Nice job on the paper fence. I had forgotten that you and Sherry were interested in doll house stuff. You have the perfect machine to make your own goodies now.

That reminds me I have to come up with some speed and power settings to cut picture matt board. Is that what you used for the stock material for the fence?

BTW there are some expert miniature model makers here, their laser work is amazing.

Mick A Martin
01-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Mick,

Nice job on the paper fence. I had forgotten that you and Sherry were interested in doll house stuff. You have the perfect machine to make your own goodies now.

That reminds me I have to come up with some speed and power settings to cut picture matt board. Is that what you used for the stock material for the fence?

BTW there are some expert miniature model makers here, their laser work is amazing.

No it was just card stock ..... cheaper to learn with, I am not sure if I will use matt board or balsa wood