PDA

View Full Version : Steady Rest - 3 wheels or four?

Jeffrey J Smith
01-03-2014, 11:20 PM
I'm getting ready to build one of the Jeff Nichols style steady rests - at least that's my starting point. I'm debating whether to build with three wheels or four. While four seems likely to spread the load over more wheels, it occurs to me that three wheels gets the top left wheel out of the way of a laser guide for a captured hollowing rig with support that's close to that of the four...

Then there's the Version Steve Sinner sells (Advanced Lathe Tools) that have three wheels offset to the right by 7 degrees for the stated purpose of allowing the laser better access.

Any thoughts from those of you who are using one? Three wheels? Four? Offset worth considering?

Dwight Rutherford
01-04-2014, 12:44 AM
The steady a group of us made actually has five wheels. Four of the wheels are located as the Nichols design. The fifth wheel can be placed anywhere on the ring. This lets us have the ability to remove upper left wheel ( or any other ) if it interferes with the laser.

Jim Underwood
01-04-2014, 9:23 AM
Check out the Carter steady for design considerations. I was impressed.

Thom Sturgill
01-04-2014, 9:44 AM
The steady a group of us made actually has five wheels. Four of the wheels are located as the Nichols design. The fifth wheel can be placed anywhere on the ring. This lets us have the ability to remove upper left wheel ( or any other ) if it interferes with the laser.

I bought one of the last that Jeff made before he stopped. I bought four fixed wheels and one moveable bracket. I understand that after shortly after my order he went to an all moveable bracket design. Jeff has drawings on his site for the moveable bracket and ring itself HERE (http://www.woodennicol.com/tools.html#sr). If I had it to do over I would have had all moveable, or 2 + 2 with the bottom two fixed but offset so that the wheels are co-planer - the moveable bracket sets a bit off the ring compared to the others.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-04-2014, 5:50 PM
I've had the rest from Advanced Lathe Tools for several years now. I have turned logs that started out at 400 lbs plus, after the logs were shaped, I'd use this steady rest ( with 3 wheels ) during the hollowing process. No problem at all, I really don't see the need for 4 wheels.
Just my 2 cents

Jeffrey J Smith
01-04-2014, 6:47 PM
Joe - that's kinda the way I'm leaning - three seems to be plenty. Just wondering if there's an advantage when trying to negotiate a laser through the steady if there are fewer wheels - seems like four or more is going to put one right in the vicinity of where that laser needs to travel. I like the fact that the three on the one from Advanced has all the wheels angled at 7 degrees from top-dead-center.
The movable wheel brackets look interesting, but I'd think the trade off might be security. Are they as secure as the fixed wheels?

Thom Sturgill
01-05-2014, 8:06 AM
The moveable bracket seems very secure. The applied forces are generally along the arm not twisting so the bracket should not get that much stress except at the bolt that holds the arm. For more security, but less flexibility, you could make brackets with a stud welded to them that mount in the holes drilled in the flange, but that could twist. Another option would be an angle welded to the sides of the tube with bolt holes to mount the assy to the flange. That would require two bolts and additional holes in the flange.

Personally, I find Jeff's quite satisfactory.

Peter Blair
01-05-2014, 10:34 AM
I have never used any other than a three wheel which I made myself.
It seems to work just fine but as I say I have nothing to compare it to.
As you suggest Jeffery I positioned the wheels to allow the laser to 'fall off' the form the whole length.
I also made mine like a 'C' which sure makes it easier to install, at least for me.
Not sure about links but here is a link to my blog where you can see some pictures.
http://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com/2012/12/

Jeffrey J Smith
01-05-2014, 2:24 PM
Thanks all - I'm committed to the Nicol's style rest - the ring is already on its way. I'd though of using wood to build a functional prototype for sizing and style, but, with 25" of swing to account for, it would be nearly as much work as fabricating the real thing. I like Peter's C-style rest, and Carter's opening ring - wonder if I could add a 'gate' to this one...
I'm thinking that I'll compromise a little. Based on Thom's input, I'm thinking two fixed wheel brackets at the bottom spread for an arrangement of three total wheels (120 degrees apart) but offset to the right about 7 degrees in the style of the Advanced Lathe Tools rest. Then make two movable brackets to allow for either three or four wheels total as needed.
I'm going to draw it up full size and take a good look at everything - and brush up on my welding 'skills' - its been since college days since I've done any welding to speak of and that was, literally, a lifetime ago...

David C. Roseman
01-11-2014, 9:08 PM
Jeffrey, please be sure to follow up with posts and pics on what you come up with and how it turns out for you.

David

Jeffrey J Smith
01-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Jeffrey, please be sure to follow up with posts and pics on what you come up with and how it turns out for you.

I'm deep into the build now - cutting parts and prep for welding. I'm using JD Combs instructions for the Jeff Nicols style steadyrest as a base, with a few minor modifications (3 wheels, angled at 7 degrees from vertical, and a movable wheel bracket just in case...). I'm guessing about ten days to two weeks to get it up and running - welding skills need refreshing. I'll post pics of the final...