PDA

View Full Version : Don't You Just Hate It When This Happens?

Jim Koepke
01-03-2014, 8:56 PM
Been working on a bigger mallet to out bonk my big bonker.

It was looking good.

Then after sitting in the shop all night it decided to develop a crack.

Darn! It was going so nice.

Have to find some better wood.

Oops! The attached images are for another post.

jtk

Chris Griggs
01-03-2014, 9:06 PM
Ooh, bummer dude. Was looking good too. Just means you get to make and even bigger one now.

Gary Herrmann
01-04-2014, 8:07 PM
Sorry to see that, Jim.

I made a mallet out of Osage awhile back. I kept painting BLO on it over the course of several hours till it became very slow to absorb.

Osage loves to crack. I got one fine hairline crack and that happened while walking from the lathe to the bench.

Maybe that will help with the next one. Good luck.

Gary

Brian Ashton
01-05-2014, 5:56 AM
Been working on a bigger mallet to out bonk my big bonker.

jtk

I didn't finish reading the rest of the post but I have to remember that sentence… I need something to out bonk my big bonker LMAO

Tony Streible
01-05-2014, 9:11 AM
I've made that exact style in the past and glued up layers. You can even get fancy and leave out sections for the handle so you don't have to mortise for it. :rolleyes: Typically I used two part resorcinol and sometimes, have had good luck with WeldWood powdered glue. Dog Wood has been a favorite wood. I have tried alternating layers for looks, but for the ones I tried, they all failed. EIther way, you did nice looking work!

Judson Green
01-05-2014, 2:08 PM
Hay Jim, theres your answer. Just take off ¼" or whatever (just to get pasted the crack) and lam on something else.

Make it look like ment to do it that way!

I've made that exact style in the past and glued up layers. You can even get fancy and leave out sections for the handle so you don't have to mortise for it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Typically I used two part resorcinol and sometimes, have had good luck with WeldWood powdered glue. Dog Wood has been a favorite wood. I have tried alternating layers for looks, but for the ones I tried, they all failed. EIther way, you did nice looking work!

Tony