PDA

View Full Version : Excalibur Router Lift 40-125

Michael Lamore
01-03-2014, 6:42 PM
I ordered mine on Nov 14, 2013. It was backordered. I finally received it today. Since ordering the router I had searched for opinions from folks who have had experience with the lift. I found it peculiar there were no threads on the subject.

Well the lift appears to have issues I must say. When one adjust the mechanism (up or down) there is a lot of play from left to right and front to back...the bit doesn't have a true center.

I adjusted the tension mechanism per their instructions, but that did not resolve the issue. There appears to be a design flaw here. I am returning mine.

I recommend that folks stay clear of this product until it has been on the market for some time and established itself as a quality product.

They need to go back to their QAQC department PRONTO.

Clay Fails
01-03-2014, 7:08 PM
Michael,
I ordered mine about the same time you did, and it was also backordered. I purchased the cast iron top table at the same time. I havent used the table that much yet, but I sure have not seen the issues you describe. In fact, so far the whole package seems pretty solid. Can you expand a little on the "sloppiness" you are referring to? I would like to check mine to see if it has similar issues.

thanks,

Michael Lamore
01-06-2014, 3:06 PM
Clay

Gald to see I am note alone in ordering this product. I am working out a couple items, mainly going back to reset the installation of the PC7518 router. I am thinking that the issue lies in the shaft axis of the router, and not the router lift.

I'll post when i get through double checking everything....I am certainly hoping for the best. The CI Table is nice.

Regards,

Mike

Clay Fails
01-06-2014, 5:24 PM
Clay

Gald to see I am note alone in ordering this product. I am working out a couple items, mainly going back to rest the installation of the PC7518 router. I am thinking that the issue lies in the shaft axis of the router, and not the router lift.

I'll post when i get through double checking everything....I am certainly hoping for the best. The CI Table is nice.

Regards,

Mike

mike'
I also put the 7518 in the table, purchased new for this application. Maybe you got a bad unit. So far my setup seems really solid; love the 7518 power, and the table and lift seem slick. Keep me posted on your setup.
Clay

Michael Lamore
01-07-2014, 8:45 PM
Clay,

Good news.

Went back and reset everything per mfg directions. I broke out the magnetic base and dial indicator to measure run out (up and down travel both front and back, and left and right). I placed a 1/2 inch shank Whiteside bit in the router collet. With the lift placed in the most elevated position the dial indicator was then placed against the base of the router bit shaft and "zereod out". I proceeded to rotate the hand crank to lower the bit. I was not able to measure more than one vertical inch of travel, because I was limited to the length of the router bit shaft.

The results observed were +/- 0.002 inches of run out. In my book that would qualify as exceptional.

Conclusion, I highly recommend this product and can say the mfg did an outstanding job in terms of fit and finish and accuracy. The product is extremely robust, and at this point I cannot imagine going back to a MDF type router table. This set up will certainly endure many years use.

mike

Clay Fails
01-07-2014, 9:07 PM
Mike,
That is good news! Glad to hear you are now satisfied with the setup. Although I did not use my dial indicator, I am not surprised by your results. So, what was it that was causing the issues in the first place? Maybe a faulty bit?