PDA

View Full Version : first-time Turner request for advice

Mike Allen1010
01-03-2014, 1:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you get post like this from newbies all the time and I apologize in advance if this topic is old hat for the Turner's here:

I have never done any turning. I am currently working on a Cherry chest on chest that requires split turning columns. These columns will be approximately 2 1/2" in diameter, mostly have a round cross-section and I will have to find a way to cut flutes/grooves in the long axis along the columns. In addition, I will have to turn the "Capitals" which have a square cross-section and then transition with a bead to the round columns.

Coincidentally, I just inherited a 30-year-old Lathe new in the box that my Dad bought from the last private hardware store in our neighborhood just before the BORGS drove them out of business.I'm not familiar with waves but it seems to me to be a "homeowner/handyman" level tool, rather than a professional grade.

What are the basic turning tools I will need to do the work above? My budget has some constraints, but I would like to start with reasonably high quality versions of basic turning/cutting tools that I can build on over time and will allow me to do a broader range of turned workas I build my skills. Beyond the immediate need to turn the columns I described, I would also like to be able to turn a few small knobs, drawer pulls etc.

For example, should I consider buying vintage tools off the mega auction site or go with contemporary tools? Is there a good starter book I should get to learn the basics of turning so I don't kill myself?

In the other elements of my woodwork I use hand tools extensively and have a standard bench grinder along with Waterstone's I use for sharpening my edge tools (planes, chisels etc.) and have no trouble keeping them sharp.

Any and all advice and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Many thanks, Mike

Roger Chandler
01-03-2014, 1:38 PM
3/8" spindle gouge, round nose scraper and detail gouge would do the trick. For splitting the columns.......take your table saw and make you a V base out of whatever length 2x4's you need. Cut a V groove at 45 degree angles with your table saw fence and your blade tilted..........two passes, end for end will get the V cut for you.

You will need two of these. Then, put your column into the V groove in your base, and tape it secure.........run length wise through a bandsaw ......preferably with a fence to keep the cut straight down the middle........can be done on a tablesaw as well, but will take a wider kerf and loose more material in the middle.

Hope this helps!

Jim Burr
01-03-2014, 1:42 PM
As found in the Search Function: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?204335-Advice-on-buying-tools-to-get-started-HF-BB-or-Sorby-on-sale & http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?100594-What-tools-to-buy-as-a-new-guy & http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?25422-What-tools-are-needed-for-pen-turning & http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?29003-Tool-Selection & http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?36093-Starting-tool-selection and several dozen more.

Jim Underwood
01-03-2014, 1:51 PM
You might want to purchase a copy of Keith Rowley's book: Woodturning: A Foundation Course.

It made sense out of a lot of things for me.

A nearby club should produce any number of folks who would be willing to help a newbie out....

Robert Henrickson
01-03-2014, 2:29 PM
If the columns are to be half-round, you can glue two boards together face-to-face with a layer paper (e.g., newpaper or brown paper) in the joint. Turn the glue-up to a cylinder, then split along the glue joint. See if you can connect with a local club.

Guy Belleman
01-03-2014, 2:35 PM
Videos are a good way to refine and improve skills, but learning good foundational turning techniques requires hands-on instruction, in my opinion. I might suggest taking a class. The Woodcraft closest to you in Fountain Valley is offering a basic turning class on February 1st. Check it out: http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/storeclasses.aspx?id=553&page=classes I don't see any classes scheduled at the Rockler store in San Diego, but you might give them a call to check. You might also want to contact the San Diego Woodturner's Association for advice and possible assistance, their contact information is at: http://www.sdwt.org/

Josh Bowman
01-03-2014, 2:58 PM
Mike, I'll only make one suggestion, keep it simple, that's from someone who doesn't. Find the video where the guy does turning with axes, draw knives and the like and you'll see that skill has more to with it than the tools. And with that, you've found the right forum. Feel free to ask, we love pictures and all here are more that glad to share opinions and give guidance. Finally, find a club in your local area. They will mentor you through the hard spots.....plus you get to use their tools for free.

Thom Sturgill
01-03-2014, 4:57 PM
+1 on Rowleys book / video and on the paper joint. Size your material for the square capitol with the joint properly centered. Tape the ends with strapping tape to prevent the assembly from separating as the centers will try tp push it apart. Use a Spindle roughing gouge to make the center portion round and a 3/8 spindle gouge to create the bead. (practice this first until you feel comfortable making beads. Lay out regular spaced lines for your flutes. Build a jig to hold and guide a router with a round bit to make the flutes. You will need some way to lock the piece so that it does not rotate while cutting these.

You do not want to buy 'classic' tools if that means carbon steel. HSS or some of the newer powder metals is the way to go for lathe work.
But the best advice is to find a club. Visit the AAW site and they have a listing of clubs.

Brian Kent
01-03-2014, 5:13 PM
Mike, our local club is one of the best: San Diego Wood Turners. sdwt (dot) org. There are plenty of mentors on their website who would love to help you. The club meets in San Marcos. Next meeting is on January 18 and you can attend before becoming a member. Jimmy Clewes is giving an all-day demo (9am to 4pm) for $35. Usually their meetings are free.

Marc Himes
01-03-2014, 5:17 PM
Find a club, take a course, get into a class. If you want a good quality product learn to do it the right way. You are describing some pretty sophisticated
turning and do to it you will need quite a bit of practice and instruction. It will be well worth the time to get good instruction.

Bob Hamilton
01-03-2014, 6:11 PM
For split turnings the paper joint is the way to go because your finished turnings will both be half round. If you saw the work after turning it you lose the thickness of material that the saw removes as well as however much it takes to dress the sawn surface. Then the round portions of the turning are no longer half rounds. I would suggest that brown paper grocery bag paper is the weight/thickness of paper to use. Newspaper is too thin and the glue will soak through enough to make a permanent bond rather than a temporary one. If you use the right paper then the joint will split apart within the thickness of the paper when you want to separate the halves any you can remove the paper and glue residue with a cabinet scraper.

Take care
Bob

Richard Coers
01-04-2014, 3:58 PM
You didn't mention length. You will be amazed how flexible a wood spindle will be when turning, especially with no skills on cutting. If you go at it with a scraper, you are going to get some crazy spiral cuts as the wood flexes. Research what a steady rest is and you can make one with inline skate wheels. If the lathe has an index head, flutes won't be that tough. You will need to build a open top box around the spindle so you can slide a router on it. Plenty of info on the net, just do some Google searches.

Bob Hamilton
01-05-2014, 10:42 AM
I put together a video showing one way to do it. The playlist for the two part series is available here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDWftq4hddzwMmggszpdP1yIKeaBkkviV

Take care
Bob

Mike Allen1010
01-08-2014, 2:33 AM
Thnkss guys! I really appreciate your generous and helpful advice. I still have a ways to go on he casework before I'm ready for the turning.

Brian, thanks for the suggestion about the local turners club. I hope I see you there.

All the best, Mike

Brian Kent
01-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks, Mike. I have decided to do the 9am to 4 pm demo with Jimmy Clewes on the 18th. ($35)