PDA

View Full Version : Needing design help

Bob Glenn
01-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I am wanting to make a small table about 12 by 16 inches, with a four inch skirt tenoned in to tapered legs. Rather than have the legs straight up and down, I want the legs to splay outward, front and back equally, at about a 3 or 4 degree angle from top to bottom.

How do I determine the compound angles to cut the shoulders on the skirts? I guess I would have to angle the mortises into the legs also, which is going to be difficult to do with my mortising chisel, even if I can figure out the angle.

I down loaded Sketchup but it quickly became obvious I would need to spend several tutorial hours on line before being able to draw plans.

I've thought about taking the "by gosh and by golly" route, but I thought I would seek expertise here first.

mike holden
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
What you are describing is similar to a "tavern table".
The skirts are not a compound angle, the top and bottom of the legs are.
The skirt tenon is not as tall as the leg mortice, leaving a small triangle of unfilled space in the mortice at top and bottom.
The upper and lower edges of the skirt boards need to be cut at an angle to match the legs.
The top and bottom of the legs are done after assembly and the top is done with a flush cutting saw, the bottom is scribed and cut to the line with a backsaw.

I would think that 3-4 degrees is a lot of splay, draw it out full size on a piece of ply wood first, then take your angle from that.

Mike

Winton Applegate
01-04-2014, 8:33 PM
I love that question because I get to post a link to one of my all time favorite articles by one of my all time favorite woodworkers. There are other articles on tables but for compound and subtle angles this is the stuff :
https://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/compound-angle-joinery.aspx

Winton Applegate
01-04-2014, 8:59 PM
I had this in the back of my mind but didn't think I would find it but you lucked out.
Not all hand tools I suppose but between the two articles (and there is also plans available for the table) maybe that will get you going.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/splay-legged-table.aspx