PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Stone to Metal

Don Morris
01-03-2014, 9:47 AM
When we renovated the kitchen about 8 years ago, LOML changed the delivered cabinet knobs to these, which have Tiger Eye Stone attached to metal. One just broke off. "This to That" site doesn't list "Stone". The Tiger Eye Stone doesn't look like it had much glue on the back surface. All of the backside of the Tiger Eye Stone is polished, except for a small central area which is broken off. There is a small amount of stone still attached to the central part of the metal. I assume it is glued to the metal, I may be wrong on that, but how else do you attach stone to metal? I tried to match the broken parts rotating them hoping to feel the edges slip into place. If they slipped into place, I couldn't tell so. Also, as I rotated the Tiger Eye Stone around, there didn't seem to be a position that felt stable. The Tiger Eye wobbled in place on the small amount of stone still attached in the center of the metal. At this point, the best solution to me is to remove the small piece of stone still attached to the metal which should allow the large Tiger Eye to adapt better to the metal. Then using the proper glue I would have done the best I can. Ideas?

Sam Murdoch
01-03-2014, 9:52 AM
I think you are right - if you can't get the fallen piece to seat on that still attached, remove the center then reattach the loose piece with a 5 minute epoxy. Should be plenty secure.

Bruce Volden
01-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Silicone adhesive! ?

Charles Wiggins
01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
When we renovated the kitchen about 8 years ago, LOML changed the delivered cabinet knobs to these, which have Tiger Eye Stone attached to metal. One just broke off. "This to That" site doesn't list "Stone". The Tiger Eye Stone doesn't look like it had much glue on the back surface. All of the backside of the Tiger Eye Stone is polished, except for a small central area which is broken off. There is a small amount of stone still attached to the central part of the metal. I assume it is glued to the metal, I may be wrong on that, but how else do you attach stone to metal? I tried to match the broken parts rotating them hoping to feel the edges slip into place. If they slipped into place, I couldn't tell so. Also, as I rotated the Tiger Eye Stone around, there didn't seem to be a position that felt stable. The Tiger Eye wobbled in place on the small amount of stone still attached in the center of the metal. At this point, the best solution to me is to remove the small piece of stone still attached to the metal which should allow the large Tiger Eye to adapt better to the metal. Then using the proper glue I would have done the best I can. Ideas?

Ideally, you want the mating surfaces to be perfect, so if the bit that's stuck is causing it to wobble and not seat then removing it or grinding it down a bit would be a good course of action. Once you can get the stone to seat a quality, two-part, 5-minute epoxy ought to do it.

Don Morris
01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for confirming what I thought I would have to do. I ground the small central piece of stone left on the metal down with a drill bit like a dremel tool bit. As a retired Dentist, I have some of those things around. The larger Tiger Eye Stone adapted better. I don't have any 5 minute epoxy aboard right now, but I know where the local HD is. In fact they have a special parking spot for me. As soon as I shovel the 5 - 6" of snow (50 mi. north and it would have been a foot) off the driveway, I'll be on the way. Thanks guys! BTW, LOML thought ahead and had an extra Tiger Eye stone knob for "just in case". I've already installed it. The repair will now be a back-up.

Stephen Cherry
01-03-2014, 3:20 PM
3m 5200, from the depot. One of the marvels of modern chemistry

Sam Murdoch
01-03-2014, 4:37 PM
I love 5200 but for such a small project Don would end up throwing away 99.98% of the tube. Once you open the tube it is very nearly impossible to keep it viable except with very regular use (in my experience).

Stephen Cherry
01-03-2014, 9:41 PM
I love 5200 but for such a small project Don would end up throwing away 99.98% of the tube. Once you open the tube it is very nearly impossible to keep it viable except with very regular use (in my experience).

This is true- once it's open, you better use it. That said, I like it for sticking this to that because it both sticks and stretches.

Don Morris
01-04-2014, 1:01 AM
At the cost of these Tiger Eye Knobs, if it's that good, I'll bite the bullet on the waste of the 3M 5200.

Stephen Cherry
01-04-2014, 1:34 AM
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41471-98-06500&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3033270&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UF6EVsSyXTtMXfXnXfXEVtQE Vs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=60-4400-5507-1.pdf

Sam Murdoch
01-04-2014, 12:28 PM
You'll find the 2 part 5 minute epoxy perfect for this job (a very secure joint) and so much more useful around the house and shop + there will be no waste.

Not trying to give Stephen a hard time for his suggestion but I really don't think that the 5200 will do a better job in this circumstance.