PDA

View Full Version : Any "Neanderthal Shavers" here?

Malcolm Schweizer
01-03-2014, 8:14 AM
Good day,

I am posting here instead of off-topic because really this relates to Neanderthal. I finally got a quality straight razor for Christmas. Already owning countless stones and strops (two tool chests full- *gloat*), this was an easy transition for me. I immediately honed it on a 16k shapton and stropped it proper.

I AM HOOKED! I actually look forward to waking up. A chance to use a sharp object every morning, and a new blade to toy with. For me, sharpening is a hobby that started as a boy with competition between my brothers and it just never got old for me.

I am wondering how many Neanders are also into straight razor shaving. The two hobbies really go hand in hand.

Sincerely,

Confessed Sharpaholic

Chris Griggs
01-03-2014, 8:20 AM
Dave is, and about a year ago he got me into it. I have two straights, both vintage, a super thin ground 5/8" Wiss (made in NJ) and a 6/8" pretty thin ground Robeson (made in NY). I use my arkansas to restore razors and keep them sharp in .5 micro chromium oxide and .1 micron iron oxide.

There is a great thread in the carvers forum right now showing a restoration and some beautiful hand carved scales: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210139-It-s-still-carving-just-not-wood

Brian Holcombe
01-03-2014, 8:44 AM
I mostly use a double edge, but have an old straight razor as well. I do use a badger brush to lather and apply shaving cream.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-03-2014, 8:46 AM
I use the same stropping schedule, but sharpen with waterstones. I saw the thread with the carved handles. Amazing work.

I had had bought what I thought was a good razor but it was really cheap and now I use it to cut leather. Amy bought me a Dovo and now I know what all the fuss is about.

Chris Griggs
01-03-2014, 9:06 AM
I have restored them on my waterstones too. If the razor is nice and straight it is quicker. I still finish with a hard ark (although given that I follow with CrOx is probably doesn't matter what I finish with).

The reason I have found that I prefer to do restorations with my arks (and I've only restored 4 razors in my life) is because a) it minimizes the amount of material being removed from the spine, and b) my arks are narrower 2" wide stones which make it easier to hone a razor that isn't dead straight. If you restore an old razor on waterstones, especially one that is less than pin straight and needs a decent amount of work (e.g. needs to start in the 1k range) you need to be conscious not to minimize wear on the spine. Of course it is possible to overdue it with arks too, but with my washita, I can just kinda space out and hone away a little more without as much worry of overdoing it.

Anyway, in the few restorations I did I gravitated towards my arks, but yeah, any good stones will do the job.

george wilson
01-03-2014, 9:08 AM
I shave with the 6" Bowie knife I made. For getting around my neck,I use the amputating knife with the curved blade.

Zach Dillinger
01-03-2014, 9:32 AM
I probably should, but to be honest it terrifies me. I've seen Sweeney Todd one too many times I guess...

Chris Griggs
01-03-2014, 9:35 AM
I probably should, but to be honest it terrifies me. I've seen Sweeney Todd one too many times I guess...

Of all the people on this forum I'm surprised that you don't use one...or at least a double edge razor? (given your love american antiquities).

I wonder what Adam Cherubini shaves with...I think he reads this forum.

David Weaver
01-03-2014, 9:39 AM
the kinds of cuts you get, zach, are little nicks. And within a month or so those kinds of cuts are very few.

In, i don't know, 5 years (2 1/2 of those using only a straight razor for the most part), I've only had two notable nips that were bigger than a cat scratch, and they were at the very beginning - both of them, and one just from not muting the tip on the razor, which would be my only suggestion to a new shaver - there is no reason for the very end of the razor to be sharp. Use the finish stone to dull it a tiny bit, just the last half mm or so, and it won't ever snag and nick.

Chris Griggs
01-03-2014, 9:42 AM
The first time I shaved with a straight my wife said, and I quote "it looks like one of our cats attacked your face". The little cuts really do look like cat scratches. Yes, about a month or so in you stop cutting yourself (much).

John Coloccia
01-03-2014, 9:59 AM
I shave with the 6" Bowie knife I made. For getting around my neck,I use the amputating knife with the curved blade.

I just use a scraper. To lubricate it a bit, I drip some hot wax on my face before starting.

Seriously, I did start shaving with a straight razor for a while. I have very soft skin and a very stiff beard, so shaving is very difficult and the straight razor was a lot more comfortable. Nowadays, I grow a beard the same way I mulch....wherever I don't feel like mowing gets mulch. The hair du jour is a goatee.

Steve Bates
01-03-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm a total newbie, but I've been shaving with a straight razor for over a year. When I started, I thought I kinda/sorta had a clue what sharp was. I was WRONG!

A razor is great to teach you about sharpness. I also needed to learn about SMOOTH. Back in July, several folks here, some on this thread, enlightened me about chromium oxide powder and graded rust. Also, using a proper horse butt strop, and checking with palm stropping. What a difference!

I chuckled reading about the cat scratches due to my own experience. IMO, I feel most of that is lack of smooth. A portion of those nicks also is attributed to a lack of skill of knowing where that edge is at all times and learning the feel of that razor on your skin. I've heard it called muscle memory.

I've also had to learn to use both hands on the razor. That's some pucker factor time in front of the mirror!

It's been a roller coaster ride for a while, but when you gain skills, WOW, you know you've accomplished something useful.

My two pennies

Mike Brady
01-03-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm not, but from what I read in shaving forums its a perfect marriage because the stones that are universally scorned in the woodworking world are joyously embraced by the wet shavers. There now, you have a solution for the dilemma of what to do with all those no-longer-fashionable stones that have been languishing on the shelf. Serendipity at last.

David Weaver
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
There is an unexplainable love for the norton stones in the world of shaving. I don't personally love what the forums tell newbies to do, but shaving is a lot like woodworking - what the pros do and what a lot of forum experts do are often different. The moderators in the shaving forums love to disagree and then ban people, too (they haven't banned me, but I don't frequent them like i frequent here). Chris does exactly what any of us would want to do - bring the edge up with a stone and then use pigment abrasives to finish it off.

The most difficult thing to find in the world of modern shaving is a decent strop that is good both short run and long run, and that doesn't cost a mint. There are plenty of $150 cowhide strops out there, and in my opinion, if cowhide was optimal, you wouldn't find nearly all professional vintage strops being horsehide.

Otherwise, anyone with a set of premium stones can be shaving pronto, and the slight subtle differences about sharpening (a razor really is sharper and smoother than anything you're likely to use woodworking) can be worked out in a few honings.

Warren Mickley
01-03-2014, 11:08 AM
I am curious what stones are "universally scorned in the woodworking world". I have used the same stones for razors and chisels since 1969.

Christian Thompson
01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I shaved with a straight razor for a month or two a few years ago. It took me a really long time to shave and it made me nervous so I got a double edge razor figuring I would get back to the straight razor soon. So far that hasn't happened (but I still shave with the DE razor and the shave soap). I cut my face a few times but the worst was when I was rinsing the razor while looking in the mirror - my other hand touched the blade and cut my finger pretty badly.

It definitely taught me a lot about sharpening, though. I bought a razor off ebay so it took me a while to get it sharp enough to shave with. In the end I had to strop it with diamond paste.

David Weaver
01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Nortons and naniwa superstones are two that get a lot of love in the internet shaving world (the latter really do have properties that are nice for razors, esp. if the razors are of the vintage alloyed types where makers started experimenting with tungsten, etc in some quantities).

The nice vintage plain crucible steel razors will sharpen on about anything, though. I'm a big fan of the turn of the century NY makers.

Another stone that gets a ton of love is the chinese guangxi hone. It actually wouldn't be a bad natural stone for woodworking if woodworkers ever intentionally slurried a stone. I'm sure you have seen the pictures of what it does for a razor edge on tim zowada's page, but using it like a lot of woodworkers use their stones will probably never produce such an edge. I thought it was a piece of garbage until I learned to use hard stones with a slurry and then without.

David Weaver
01-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I am curious what stones are "universally scorned in the woodworking world". I have used the same stones for razors and chisels since 1969.

by the way, warren, IIRC you use a black arkansas to finish a razor and some horse butt from joel. You might find it annoying that I remember what you say, but you were one of the first people many years ago who said they used a razor a lot.

Christian - if you stick with it for a while, it gets quick. Two passes and a stropping for me are about two minutes, like John, I have very sensitive skin - a straight razor is the only thing I can get a close shave with and not have some kind of complication from it.

Mel Fulks
01-03-2014, 11:18 AM
I've gotten interested in this mainly through David's posts. Some of the shave forum info is based on novice impressions,that the writers probably quickly find are wrong. I thought my stropping was really poor until I tried a shave off a good stone without stropping, found out that was not good advise.

Brian Holcombe
01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
David, I think one of the interesting phenomena of Internet forums are what I like to call a sort of niche bandwagoning that occurs.

Very similar to individual shops, the workers within a shop will end up using things with a lot of common ground, but it may differ from the shop across the way by a much larger variation. Much like Internet forums they will have handful of experts which will create a great amount of influence within their circle but much less so outside of it.

Jim Koepke
01-03-2014, 12:50 PM
I used to use a straight razor. Mostly it was for when I grew a beard. A straight razor it great for removing a lot of hair without clogging.

Now almost all of my shaving is done without a mirror while taking a shower. Just regular bar soap and knowing where the hair is to be removed.

jtk

James Baker SD
01-03-2014, 1:01 PM
I don't use mine to shave (besides loving Sweeny Todd, I've seen too many Al Capone movies), but while laid off a few years ago, I began cutting my own hair using a straight razor. Still doing it today. I find frequent honing on leather keeps the blade pretty sharp and I don't need the stones very often (head hair is probably not as tough as beard hair). Takes a while to learn the cut the hair on the back of your head evenly only by feel, but I think I now do as good a job as most barbers.

bob blakeborough
01-03-2014, 1:36 PM
I enjoy shaving with a straight... I love the routine of the entire process. Even the once in a blue moon I have to whip out the cartridge I still prefer the lather of a tradtional shave soap and badger brush. Not gonna lie... It also makes me feel pretty manly! Haha

David Dockstader
01-03-2014, 3:18 PM
The first rule of shaving with a straight razor:

1. If you wake up with a hangover, don't bother to shave that day.

DAMHIKT

David Weaver
01-03-2014, 3:38 PM
If you are a heavy coffee drinker, it's also not always a great idea to shave late morning after you've put a pot through, either. It just feels funny, and not in a good way. I've never been cut shaving full-coffee but the extra little bit of shaky just causes some pucker factor when you're used to a perfectly extremely smooth experience.

Jim Belair
01-03-2014, 3:55 PM
Straight razor, double edge, yaddah, yaddah.... I think I'll start a thread to see if anyone else shaves with electrons! :rolleyes:

Jonathan McCullough
01-03-2014, 4:40 PM
No, the first rule of shaving with a straight razor is to wear at least underwear in front of the mirror. Never had a problem, but you know what they say about trying to catch a falling knife . . . .

Roderick Gentry
01-03-2014, 5:09 PM
This is a weird confession for me, because I have been a sharpen anything guy with everything since about 1970. But... I got into straight razors about 20 years ago when I was traveling and I picked up a german replaceable blade straight razor. What I normally shave are the upper cheeks the neck, and anything else that needs shaving. I shave the back of my neck, though I need someone to tell me if the slope is OK. I can get about a month out of that without replacing a blade. I once left on a trip for 2 months, without replacing a blade I was about 1 month into. I used it for the next two months, and by the end it was like pulling hair out, not "a good experience" But it wasn't too bad for the first few months.

I have cut myself a lot worse with safety razors. One particular time I was on the road, I inserted a brand new Track 3 type razor blade into my shaver, only to discover over the course of the days that it must have had a nick on it, because every time I used it, I got a cut somewhere on my face, from the same area on the blade. At first I thought I was goofing, but it became apparent it was the blade. The same thing happened to some principal i was organizing a news conference for, when he arrived in the studio with his face covered with toilet paper scraps to staunch the bleeding.

The multi blade razors are often very uncomfortable if they trap hair and that stuff scrapes your skin, of course individual mileages will differ depending on beard and skin type.

There are videos on Youtube where a guy spends like 10 minutes shaving. Give me a break. You only need to go over once, and you never need to clean the blade until you switch sides. There are reasons why people who wanted to do a lot of faffing around went to the barber. But a shave that is better than a cartridge razor, more comfortable, and with less nicks should take less time to do.

In the day, the gents didn't even own stones. They owned multiple razors, and they would have them set by some craftsman, and all they did was strop them until they needed to be re-set. The last guy I knew who had a shaving kit like that was still at it in the 80s, and maybe that service remains common in the UK today. It sorta explains why people used to have all their shaving gear in a bag that was about the size of a small lunchbox. My dad had a bag like that, but all that was in it was a safety razor, a brush, and some blades. In the straight razor kit, there were 6 razors in their own compartments, and two stops, and they filled the space.

David Weaver
01-03-2014, 5:20 PM
It was fairly common for barbers to offer honing service. There are still shavers here and there who maintain their razors only using pastes provided by the razor companies. I think those pastes are fairly aggressive, and have no clue what their razors look like when they've been paste-stropped several hundred times, but some of the frowners on ebay probably give a pretty good idea.

The old linens had some kind of wax on them, or wax and talc, and could stretch out a razor a good long time. It wouldn't be out of the question for someone to get 6 months out of a razor shaving every day (i've done it) before honing, and even still, the rehone is quick only on a fine stone. There is some virtue with straight razor shaving in coddling the edge a little bit and keeping it sharp and in good geometric shape. I don't think that was necessarily how the average razor was treated in the past (a lot of them took on monster honewear), but that's how I like to treat my favorite razors - any single one of them could last a lifetime without taking much wear, as long as it isn't dropped. Probably my worst ever cut was jerking my hand out of the way of a falling razor, only to have it catch on my finger as my hand jerked by. Fortunately, the razor didn't get hurt (I say that seriously, too - when you find your favorite 125 year old razor, it isn't going to be easy to replace, and chipping a large chunk out of one would be the end).

The modern strop makers don't make such a strop as I described. When you deal with the "faithful" who buy lots of stuff from the modern makers, they don't really like to hear that the old strop makers may have known more about maintaining a razor without honing than the new ones.

Some of the better razor makers (like iwasaki) have encouraged maintenance by strop and minimal honing.

Judson Green
01-03-2014, 6:48 PM
Straight razor, double edge, yaddah, yaddah.... I think I'll start a thread to see if anyone else shaves with electrons! :rolleyes:

What about hand cranked?
Sounds kinda funny but I had (got it in a box lot of mostly woodworking tools) a squeeze hair trimmer. Tryed it for about two minutes, can not imagine actually doing someone's whole head or beard.

bridger berdel
01-03-2014, 6:54 PM
been shaving with a straight for about a year now . the first few months were about learning technique, finding gear and getting my razor honing chops in order. now im getting pretty good one pass shaves. im making my own soap, too. and brushes. rescaled a few razors. fun stuff.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-03-2014, 6:59 PM
No, the first rule of shaving with a straight razor is to wear at least underwear in front of the mirror. Never had a problem, but you know what they say about trying to catch a falling knife . . . .

:eek: *GASP!* My worst fear! I wear a thick towel.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-03-2014, 7:21 PM
What about hand cranked?
Sounds kinda funny but I had (got it in a box lot of mostly woodworking tools) a squeeze hair trimmer. Tryed it for about two minutes, can not imagine actually doing someone's whole head or beard.

My barber has one of these but he is a whiz with scissors and just keeps it for show. By the way, my barber works out of a truck under a mango tree with one chair inside. He has a sign that says, "If I am not here, check in the bar." Good to get a haircut early in the morning before Ed has too many. I surf a while, then sit down, still wet, get a haircut, and during July get a mango too.

george wilson
01-03-2014, 9:07 PM
Where do you live,Malcolm? Mango wood is very pretty,from what I have seen. Have you tried it for anything?

Andy Hsieh
01-03-2014, 9:17 PM
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/filthyflea_44/72608472-BFEA-4A02-8EC2-1D11BDF18661-1973-0000039BAE3310B0_zpsbb3bf5b1.jpg

My stable of straights
-and-
My open comb stainless steel workhorses
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/filthyflea_44/C626561C-5170-40EA-BB31-E46649E07C04-1973-0000039BBED4A05D_zpsac9a64df.jpg

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-03-2014, 9:21 PM
I'm tempted - I "shave" with electrons about once or twice a week - (I'm both lazy and a drunk) I never learned how to use even a cartridge razor. Thing is, I've got a goatee; and *big* ol' sideburns. (something akin to Dave's old wrestler avatar) I haven't seen my chin in 19 years or so, and I've had sideburns of some sort for at least 12 years or so. I'm not sure how I would shave the odd spots between the parts I want to keep with an unplugged edge.

Mike Holbrook
01-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Did I land on Badger & Blade by mistake?

I have been thinking about trying a straight. I am currently shaving with an antique Gillette open comb, long tooth head on a Bob's Razors Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle. I use Chrystal DE blades, a few good badger brushes, shaving soaps/creams and a scuttle. I have not changed to a straight because sometimes I shave in a hurry. I can do a rush job with a DE and not hurt myself, not so sure about a straight.

Chris Griggs
01-03-2014, 11:44 PM
I have been thinking about trying a straight. I am currently shaving with an antique Gillette open comb, long tooth head on a Bob's Razors Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle. I use Chrystal DE blades, a few good badger brushes, shaving soaps/creams and a scuttle. I have not changed to a straight because sometimes I shave in a hurry. I can do a rush job with a DE and not hurt myself, not so sure about a straight.

Nothing says you can't have both Mike. I use a DE when I'm in a hurry or if its night time and I've had a couple cocktails. But 99%of the time I use a straight. Its nice to have options.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2014, 1:36 AM
Where do you live,Malcolm? Mango wood is very pretty,from what I have seen. Have you tried it for anything?

St. Thomas. I have been waiting for one to blow down in a storm but they are very strong. They are too valuable for their fruit to cut down. The one in the image (overhanging) is probably hundreds of years old. It is gigantic. I use a lot of local mahogany. Lignum Vitae also grows wild here.

Mel Fulks
01-04-2014, 2:07 AM
St. Thomas.... Fresh mangos.... Local mahogany ... Well where I LIVE mahogany is an EXOTIC WOOD ! I might help you out with a time share deal.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2014, 6:23 AM
St. Thomas.... Fresh mangos.... Local mahogany ... Well where I LIVE mahogany is an EXOTIC WOOD ! I might help you out with a time share deal.

The grass is always greener. I pay $12 a gallon for milk, $5 for gas, and would kill for some Walnut, maple, spruce, or western red cedar! I do, however, get to woodwork year round in my board shorts (just realized that's a good play-on-word) outside year-round.

Hilton Ralphs
01-04-2014, 8:30 AM
Did I land on Badger & Blade by mistake?

Better than the Brazil & Beaver :cool:

This thread is interesting and I may send someone a PM as I'm very keen to get a kit going.

Mike Holbrook
01-04-2014, 9:21 AM
Not knowing much about straights is a problem for me too Hilton. I do see a name or two mentioned above. I think, all I need is the razor I have the accessories. The forum I mention above is a good source of info. on neander shaving.

george wilson
01-04-2014, 9:44 AM
I never have shaved myself with a straight.But,when we were making the movie,this young guy,who was only seen turning the great wheel lathe,showed up without shaving. I kept a razor for cutting piano felt. Sharpened it up real good and shaved him. No cuts! A trusting soul!!!

John Coloccia
01-04-2014, 10:17 AM
If I went back to straight razor shaving, I might well switch to a shavette. At the moment, though, I'm using a 2 blade Atra II....my dad's actually. More blades = more scraping on your face = really uncomfortable on my kind of bear/face. 2 blades really isn't bad, and I'd encourage anyone who switched to a straight razor for comfort to give 2 blades a try, combined with a good shaving oil and real shaving cream...not this Gillette Foamy nonsense. Straight razor shaving is pretty inconvenient if you can avoid it, IMHO.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2014, 11:26 AM
If I went back to straight razor shaving, I might well switch to a shavette. At the moment, though, I'm using a 2 blade Atra II....my dad's actually. More blades = more scraping on your face = really uncomfortable on my kind of bear/face. 2 blades really isn't bad, and I'd encourage anyone who switched to a straight razor for comfort to give 2 blades a try, combined with a good shaving oil and real shaving cream...not this Gillette Foamy nonsense. Straight razor shaving is pretty inconvenient if you can avoid it, IMHO.

At first I thought the straight razor would take longer but actually after a few days' practice it just takes a few strokes to clean each side of the face. Also at first I did not get nearly as good of a shave as with a store-bought razor, but a little practice with the shaving angle and I am smoother than ever.

That said, you do have to enjoy the whole process to really get into the whole straight razor thing. I'm not one of these that thinks your shave has to be picture perfect (unless we have a fancy event to attend or something). My main two reasons for going straight razor is that I like sharpening, I wanted to keep trash out of the landfill, and I am sick of paying $15 for a few plastic razors. I now know, after trying a good straight razor, what all the fuss is about. I am going to start making my own bay rum again- something I used to do and stopped. Again this is more for fun than need. The bay tree grows wild here. They smell like allspice- also make a great flavored rum.

Bill Houghton
01-04-2014, 2:39 PM
No, but I consider myself a Cro Magnon shaver: I use an old double edge razor. Way, way better than the modern ones with 18 blades.

Maurice Ungaro
01-04-2014, 3:30 PM
About a year and a half ago, I went with the old "safety" razor (double edge) It's a hefty sucker too. I have not looked back. Would be interested in the straight razor approach as well. My regimen consists of using a badger brush with a premium shaving soap. I prep the skin first with hot water and then follow with Geo. F. Trumper's Skin Food. That product is a wonderful pre-shave, but you can also get good results with a high quality shave oil prior to the soap. For best results, I shave twice, once with the grain, and then relather and shave against the grain. Post shave I use a good quality bay rum, and a post shave balm. I prefer the "Feather" brand blades from Japan, as they last at least 7 day's worth of shaving.

I got interested in going back to this type of system when I realized that the bastids at Schick and Gillette continually drop the quality of a product to get you to buy the next best version. That, and I got tired of paying $10 for 4 blades, each of which lasted only as long as mu double edge Feather brand. BTW, I can get 10 Feather blades for about $4.50. Even with the fancy prep balm, soap, bay rum, etc., it's still cheaper and BETTER than the multi blade cartidge system. Really, do you need a razor with a vibrating head, FM radio and a flashlight?

The best part? my face now does not have a 5 o'clock shadow at the end of the day. In fact, the next morning it approaches the 5 o'clock look. Definitely smoother and no irritation whatsoever. FWIW, I use this site for my supplies: http://www.qedusa.com/

george wilson
01-04-2014, 3:31 PM
I wish someone would teach these stupid actors how to PRETEND they are shaving with a straight razor. Also,I am tired of looking at them holding a knife or razor very nearly perfectly VERTICAL while stropping!! The trouble with actors is they most often don't know how to do anything except act. And,most often they don't seem to care,either.

Rick Markham
01-05-2014, 5:29 AM
You guys are killing me, I've had my eye on a nice modern variation on the safety razor, a nice silver tip brush, soap etc. I guess I ain't shavin til I save my pennies! Though I like George's curved surgical knife, it'll clean your whole neckline in a single swipe! :eek:

Malcolm Schweizer
01-05-2014, 6:54 AM
I guess I ain't shavin til I save my pennies!

Am I the only one that misread that line at first? :eek::D

george wilson
01-05-2014, 8:03 AM
I have a joke about that,but can't tell it here!!

Paul Saffold
01-05-2014, 8:36 AM
About 3 years ago I went to a Merkur double edge. I learned on a Gillette adjustable double edge in the ‘60s. I agree about the quality of the blades going downhill on the twin blades now that they are pushing 3 or 4 blade razors. I haven’t tried anything other than soap and a brush but am happy with the shave I get. Unless there is something special going on, shaving 2 or 3 times a week is it for me. I’d rather use unscented soap or creams, but haven’t been able to find one.
I remember when I was a kid, dad had a handheld gizmo for stropping double edge blades. It wasn’t much bigger than a fist and had 2 leather belts and a hand crank. He stopped using it when he gave up Gillette Blue Blades for stainless and their better edge holding.

Rick Markham
01-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Am I the only one that misread that line at first? :eek::D

Hey it was early! :D

Maurice Ungaro
01-05-2014, 2:49 PM
You guys are killing me, I've had my eye on a nice modern variation on the safety razor, a nice silver tip brush, soap etc. I guess I ain't shavin til I save my pennies! Though I like George's curved surgical knife, it'll clean your whole neckline in a single swipe! :eek:

Rick, the Merkur double edge models are very nice, and pretty affordable. Make sure you get one that has some weight to it. When shaving, let the weight of the razor do the work for you. As for blades, I prefer the Feather brand over Merkur, and I certainly would not waste my time on current production Gillette, Wilkinson, etc.