PDA

View Full Version : Great service from Keurig coffee machines

dennis thompson
01-03-2014, 8:03 AM
Our Keurig stopped working. I tried several fixes recommended on the Keurig site and none worked. I called Keurig for some further assistance and without my asking or even trying some fixes they said they are sending me a new machine.
Can't ask for more than that.

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Our Keurig stopped working. I tried several fixes recommended on the Keurig site and none worked. I called Keurig for some further assistance and without my asking or even trying some fixes they said they are sending me a new machine.
Can't ask for more than that.

that is really good service....if only all companies would stand behind there products like this. Some companies act as if they do not need customers and their satisfaction with a product is a not important.

Bruce Page
01-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Yep, we love our Keurig Vue and the service we’ve received from them but in reality they make their money on the coffee they sell us.

Matt Meiser
01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
That is good service, but there are a LOT of complaints about problems with Keurig machines. Unfortunately they've probably gotten good at replacing them. I love mine and knock on wood its been good. LOML bought me a Mr. Coffee branded one for the shop--it had a major recall right after and their replacement process was terrible.

Larry Whitlow
01-03-2014, 1:39 PM
We have the same experience with Keurig being replaced at Costco. Probably worth it to them to keep us buying the coffee pods. Either way I'm very happy.

Jerome Stanek
01-03-2014, 2:30 PM
That is good service, but there are a LOT of complaints about problems with Keurig machines. Unfortunately they've probably gotten good at replacing them. I love mine and knock on wood its been good. LOML bought me a Mr. Coffee branded one for the shop--it had a major recall right after and their replacement process was terrible.

My daughter has the Mr coffee one and her recall was easy just cut the cord and sen the end in she received her new one in a week.

George Werner
01-03-2014, 2:41 PM
We have the same experience with Keurig being replaced at Costco. Probably worth it to them to keep us buying the coffee pods. Either way I'm very happy.

Yep, I saw a show about them and they said flat out that they lose money on every machine but make it all back on the pods.

Matt Meiser
01-03-2014, 3:01 PM
My daughter has the Mr coffee one and her recall was easy just cut the cord and sen the end in she received her new one in a week.

Mine took somewhere around 5. Couldn't just send in the cord had to send it in their special envelope which they had to fulfill, then wait for them to process the plug, then wait for them to ship the replacement.

glenn bradley
01-03-2014, 3:28 PM
When I first saw them I thought "what a racket". We got one for work and the absence of clean up and the fresh coffee by the cup won us over. I now have one at home. Dad had his fail due to his own failure in cleaning the machine. He even told Keurig that he had failed to perform the cleaning schedule. They still sent him a new machine.

Jerome Stanek
01-03-2014, 4:23 PM
Its just like the Hilti and Senco deal back in the 70's they would give you the tool if you bought a certain amount of fasteners so you had to buy more later.

Dave Lehnert
01-03-2014, 5:00 PM
How old were the coffee machines that were replaced?

Dan Hintz
01-03-2014, 7:09 PM
Yep, I saw a show about them and they said flat out that they lose money on every machine but make it all back on the pods.

The cheapest Keurig is $75 on Amazon, and they quickly hit $150-200 for little more than some extra features (software). If Sony can make an electrically complicated PS3 at a profit (initially at a loss, but they make some profit on each system now), they can certainly make a mostly-air filled coffee maker for $150 and make a sweet profit (and that's just the machine itself). I don't argue they make most of their profit off of the continuing purchases of the K-cups themselves, but the machine itself has to be a (small) profit maker, too, even if it's a one-time profit maker.

Bought two Keurigs for SWMBO, one for home and one for her office. She generally gets the K-cups in deals for $0.25/each, sometimes as high as $0.50/each if she finds something interesting/unique.

Phil Thien
01-03-2014, 8:00 PM
Didn't like the Keurig, the servings are too small, and the waste of those little plastic cups, no way. And they make refillable cups but those are a PITA.

Matt Meiser
01-03-2014, 8:08 PM
Try one of the EZ cup inserts for using ground coffee. They use compostable paper filter inserts that really are EZ to use.

Larry Frank
01-03-2014, 10:25 PM
I love our Keurig. I used to have to clean it all the time but now we use water from the reverse osmosis and never have to clean at all. I think that having pure water makes all of the coffee machines work longer and better.

Steve Peterson
01-03-2014, 10:40 PM
My wife had one fail one month after the warrantee expired. I forget if they sent a new part or a new machine, but they did stand behind their product. Apparently there was a weakness in the older design that was causing a LOT of failures. The replacement has been working for several years now.

Steve

Phil Thien
01-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Try one of the EZ cup inserts for using ground coffee. They use compostable paper filter inserts that really are EZ to use.

I've seen those but I prefer a larger machine that can brew enough coffee to fill a large travel mug.

Bruce Page
01-03-2014, 11:50 PM
I've seen those but I prefer a larger machine that can brew enough coffee to fill a large travel mug.

Our Keurig Vue 700 can brew an 18oz travel mug. My daily brew is 14oz. I love the Vue, my only complaint with it is the somewhat limited coffee selection compared to the K-Cups.

eugene thomas
01-04-2014, 12:23 AM
We had ours fail but was few years after warranty so we paid think was 69 or 79 shipped to use. Was happy. Way north of 100 for model we have from store.

Larry Whitlow
01-04-2014, 1:09 AM
Their is a brand at Costco called San Francisco Bay French roast coffee that is relatively inexpensive and instead of plastic uses a filter material for the cup. There are 80 cups per box separated into several sealed bags. After opening each bag, you do need to keep the cups in a sealed container to maintain freshness. You still have to dispose of the cups of course, but for whatever it is worth it is foil and filter stuff instead of foil and plastic. IMO the coffee is pretty good. I don't know if this brand is available anywhere besides Costco.

glenn bradley
06-13-2014, 9:17 AM
First let me say that when I first saw them I thought "what a racket". Someone at work got one and after some time and talk we gave one a try at work. We now use them at work and at home. There are biodegradable cup option for those with waste concerns and we use these. The reduced clean up costs and reduced mess around the coffee area (at work the kitchen is in another wing so, no sink by our machine) make the machine pay off when you do the math. I have had similar fast, friendly and generous service when a machine has had an issue over the years. Is the coffee itself cheaper than a 2lb can on sale? No but, overall cost of operation is pretty good. Factor in water use and clean up costs and you're pretty good. Like a spiral head in a jointer; it seems expensive till you do the math.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-14-2014, 9:12 AM
I was in the "it's a gimmick camp" initially too, then we got one. Don't think I could function without it now. The only downside I've found is that the coffee out of the old traditional machines at all the restaurants and gas stations now tastes horrible. Amazon is the best place I've found to get the k cups. Reminds me, I need to order again.

Oh, to fill a bigger cup, why not just rebrew the filter you have in it, once with the large size, once with a small, and you'll get a full travel mug.

Jerome Stanek
06-14-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm just the opposite I think that coffee out of a one cup machine is to strong and I hate FUFU flavors.

Dave Anderson NH
06-16-2014, 12:27 PM
I have been doing business with Keurig since it was 3 guys in a loft in the old Hamilton Watch factory on Crescent St in Waltham MA. The very first machines were designed for small office use and were sold to coffee service distributors for lease to the end user. Those machines had a manufacturing cost of over $1000 and were first made by Polaris Contract Manufacturing in Marion MA. The contract next went to a Canadian company who made them in Quebec. The first consumer machines were produced by Mid-South Electronics in Gadsen Alabama and continued to be made there until a factory fire destroyed inventory, works in progress, and the injection molding tooling. Unfortunately MSE was under-insured and their inability to recover quickly caused manufacturing to migrate to mainland China where it remains today. Unit price per machine also forced the manufacturing offshore. The business model is almost exactly like that of ink jet printers, practically give the machines away and make it up on the coffee or supplies. They are great people and you would not believe the extensive testing done on new prototypes and beta builds for everything from temperature control, brew time, brewer performance with different types of water, and a whole lot more. The in-process manufacturing test is equally impressive. I've had one of their home brewers since they cam out and we had one of the first small office models from the beginning.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm just the opposite I think that coffee out of a one cup machine is to strong and I hate FUFU flavors.

There are thousands of different grinds and roasts available. I too hate fufu "coffees", but there is so much more out there. Best thing about keurig us that each cup is fresh for a long time, unlike a can of grounds you buy at the grocery store that starts going bad the instant you open it.

Interesting background about Keurig too Dave.

David Weaver
06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Dave, that's what the business model strikes me as. I am a drip coffee drinker, or maybe just a drip, but the greatest improvement in coffee to me has been the insulated carafe. I'm cheap, and I like plain coffee black with nothing in it, and being that cheap means also drinking 32 or so ounces of coffee in a day for north of a dollar is out of the question. Red container folgers medium in a cuisinart maker with an insulated carafe has been my go-to for a long time (I don't care much about which maker, though, that just happens to be what my wife bought - my much cheaper-than-me parents have a mr. coffee with some kind of insulated device that probably cost a third as much and it's fine).

Anyway, your description of the business model makes a lot of sense, and suggests also why it's so important for them to offer good service on the machines. If the machines don't work, people don't buy the cups.

I wish the printer manufacturers would get the message of that, though. I went through a couple of deskjet printers that lasted a month longer than their warranty before I switched to laser 7 years ago. Each printer left me with about $80 worth of stranded ink. Maybe in the end that was good business for the printer makers. It was good for me in the end, too, as I'm still using the same laser printer and reman cartridges that cost a quarter of a cent per page.

I don't begrudge the keurig make for not meeting my budget wants, though. They certainly have something popular and they know what they're doing business-wise. It's one of those things that makes you think "ghee, I wish I would've thought of that".