PDA

View Full Version : I've been out of the shop for a while --

Betsy Yocum
06-11-2005, 4:16 PM
This is the first time I've been on the Creek for quite some time. It's good to see it's still going strong - even without me!!!!! :D

As some of you know I've had a couple of knee surgeries this year ending with a total knee replacement at the end of March. I'm starting to get around pretty good now - thanks to some really good rehab folks.

However, my health issues continue and I'm looking at 2-3 possible surgical procedures to correct the problem.

Needless to say I've not been in my shop since about Christmas time. I've had to turn down quite a few projects which saddens me. But right now I don't feel safe using the power equipment between the medicines and the problem - it's not a good combination.

The doctors tell me if all goes well I should be up and at it again by the end of July first of August. Keep those fingers crossed for me! It's been a long year.

Thanks for you anticipated prayers!
Betsy

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2005, 4:38 PM
Good to see ya around Betsy..!!!!! :D

I'll be praying for a speedy recovery and that all goes well in the days ahead.

Martin Shupe
06-11-2005, 4:42 PM
Prayers and best wishes go out to you from the Shupe home. Hope you heal quickly.

Carl Eyman
06-11-2005, 4:43 PM
Wish it could be back in your shop, but back on the Creek is good too. I can appreciate the knee replacement bit. My wife had it done in 2001.

Joe Mioux
06-11-2005, 5:56 PM
HI Betsy:

I hope your recovery goes smoothly and with as little pain as possible. Both of my sisters are rehab ppl. One is a Physiatrist and the other a Physical Therapist. I know what ppl like them can do to ppl like you. :eek: Just remember after each PT/rehab session, there is the ICE PACK:) Good Luck\

JOe

Jim Becker
06-11-2005, 6:05 PM
Betsy, good to hear from you...keep your chin up and once everything is fixed, you can get back into the shop. 'Hope you're feeling better soon!

Ron Jones near Indy
06-11-2005, 7:37 PM
Wishing you the best! May you be able to spend time in your shop soon.

Tyler Howell
06-11-2005, 7:58 PM
Welcome Back Betsy,

Me and the big guy got you back!;)

Richard Wolf
06-11-2005, 9:04 PM
Betsy, I hope the recovery goes well. I can understand your pain. I was supposed to have both knees replaced on Dec. 15, 04. Three days before surgery my family Doc. told me I'm slightly diabetic and cancelled the procedure. Now I'm faced with starting the planning procedure over again but find it difficult to reallocate enough time for rehab. I install wooden railings an would have to close my business for 3 to 6 months, not easy. Let me ask you, would you do it again?

Be well.

Richard

Betsy Yocum
06-11-2005, 9:13 PM
Betsy, I hope the recovery goes well. I can understand your pain. I was supposed to have both knees replaced on Dec. 15, 04. Three days before surgery my family Doc. told me I'm slightly diabetic and cancelled the procedure. Now I'm faced with starting the planning procedure over again but find it difficult to reallocate enough time for rehab. I install wooden railings an would have to close my business for 3 to 6 months, not easy. Let me ask you, would you do it again?

Be well.

Richard

Thanks for all the good thoughts folks - I appreciate it.

Richard - YES - I'd do it again in a heart beat. There was some time when the surgery was over that I wondered why I went ahead with it - I had a lot of pain issues. But now that I've gotten through it and have done the rehab - I'd do it again - no doubt. I can walk now whereas before I was barely limping along. I wish your situation was a bit different - I have a employer that supports it's employees real well. I can't imagine the stress that having to shut the business down for so long. The rehab is only about 6-8 weeks - then it's pretty smooth sailing.

Good luck!

Betsy

Jim Becker
06-11-2005, 9:17 PM
I have an aquaintance who had both knees done (concurrently!!) several years ago and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. My mom also had one done two years ago and it's made a huge difference in her life. (She's 75) Based on their experiences, if I even needed it, I'd do it, too.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-11-2005, 9:33 PM
Glad to see you posting again, Betsy. Do waht the doc says and you will be back in the shop in record time.

Norman Hitt
06-12-2005, 2:58 AM
Glad to see you are back Betsy. I had been wondering what had happened to you. I'm glad your recovery is coming along well, and I sure understand about the health issues really interfering with the shop activities, as I'm still recovering from some health issues myself. Just hang in there, and keep as active as you can because it really helps the recovery process.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2005, 9:03 AM
Good to hear from you again Betsy! Folks here were wondering and asking about you! Good luck on your continued recovery! Do what the physical therapists and doctors ask!

Frank Pellow
06-12-2005, 9:17 AM
Hi Betsy. I am amazed at how well knee replacements work. My sister in law was almost imobile until she had two replacements last September. Now she goes on long walks every day.

I hope that your knee contunues to improve, that the other procedures you mention are also a sucess, and that you get back to woodworking SOON.

Charlie Knauer
06-12-2005, 7:46 PM
Betsy, I will add you to my prayer list. I also wish you a speedy recovery so you can enjoy your shop. Just another one of lifes little stumbling blocks.

Charlie

Karl Laustrup
06-12-2005, 8:09 PM
Betsy, prayers are being said. Fingers are crossed. Toes are crossed. Would crossing my eyes help? :eek: :D

Speedy recovery to get back to the shop and make some chips or dust or whatever.:)

Karl

Michael Gibbons
06-12-2005, 9:08 PM
Get well soon. Your tools told us at the Creek they miss you.

Mike

John Miliunas
06-12-2005, 9:29 PM
Well, it's not wonder we've missed you!:eek: While you were in our thoughts, we can now add our well wishes and prayers for a quick and thorough recovery! :) Looking forward to more of your posts, as well as more of your wonderful projects! Heal quickly and stay in touch.:) :cool:

Betsy Yocum
06-12-2005, 9:36 PM
Thanks to all for your thoughts, prayers and kind words. I'm hoping to be in the shop soon - but am realistic and know it will be a while yet.

I had forgotten how many friends I have at the Creek!! It's nice to know you did not forget me!!!!:D

I hope to visiting back more often now that I've at least have the Creek Bug back - which is a whole lot nicer than the health problem I'm dealing with!!!

Thanks again all!!
Betsy

Jerry Olexa
06-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Betsy... Continue to heal... We miss you

Lee DeRaud
06-13-2005, 12:39 AM
I have an aquaintance who had both knees done (concurrently!!) several years ago and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.I know what you meant, but I think I would have phrased that slightly differently.:eek: