PDA

View Full Version : Have a nice weekend!

Pat Barry
01-02-2014, 9:21 PM
Here's my forecast. I hope I can stay inside this weekend. LOL

Is there anything to the global warming idea?

Matt Meiser
01-02-2014, 9:24 PM
We're supposed to warm up this weekend, but get another up to 8" on top of the 12" we got the last 48 hours. Then its going to get colder than its been in 20 years early next week.

Shawn Pixley
01-02-2014, 9:52 PM
Yikes! I would do all I could to avoid the outdoors.

Jeff Erbele
01-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Here's my forecast. I hope I can stay inside this weekend. LOL

Is there anything to the global warming idea?

Definitely and it includes extreme temperatures at both ends of the scale with increasing severe weather in between. On the Denver weather this evening they showed an outdoor dial thermometer in International Falls Minnesota at -42 F.

Global warming is not a good thing. While the name may imply nice warm weather or casue one to have visions of mild tropical weather, the results are anything but nice on a world scale for long periods, more than a lifetime.

In the sports report they were discussing the NFL playoffs and the three stadiums that are not yet sold out, which may prevent the games from being broadcasted locally. They interviewed a die hard Cheese Head who decided not to buy a playoff ticket, wanting to know why. His main reason was temperature, with the forecast for zero degrees at kickoff and chilling down as the game progressed. He and his friends were going to watch it at some bar, where it would be warm, cost a lot less, with commentary and re-runs. He admitted that he has lived in California for the past four years and his blood had thinned.

We had a cold snap for about 8 days in early December as low as -10 F. Some winters it never gets colder than +10 For even +15 F. Since it's been up to a balmy +64 and now returned to more seasonal temps but still mild for winter.

Worse than the cold, my heart goes out to those areas with ice storms and without power, going on days, six days or more. That's a hardship and not much matters but survival.

Harold Burrell
01-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Definitely and it includes extreme temperatures at both ends of the scale with increasing severe weather in between. On the Denver weather this evening they showed an outdoor dial thermometer in International Falls Minnesota at -42 F.

Global warming is not a good thing. While the name may imply nice warm weather or casue one to have visions of mild tropical weather, the results are anything but nice on a world scale for long periods, more than a lifetime.

Am I the only one who can remember temperatures like this from when I was a kid in the 60's??? This is nothing new...

Jerome Stanek
01-03-2014, 6:52 AM
Am I the only one who can remember temperatures like this from when I was a kid in the 60's??? This is nothing new...

No I remember those days I also remember when I had to work out doors one year and we had a stretch of 10 days below zero. Also where the snow would piled as high as the phone wires.

Harold Burrell
01-03-2014, 8:16 AM
No I remember those days I also remember when I had to work out doors one year and we had a stretch of 10 days below zero. Also where the snow would piled as high as the phone wires.

Yeah. EEK!

I remember while working at the Indiana State Prison, getting snowed in and told that I could not go home. Nothing like a 32 hour shift.

Pat Barry
01-03-2014, 9:55 AM

No, I remember them too, I just thought they were over now that global warming was here (JK).

I remember ice fishing at Lake Mille Lacs (norther Minnesota) one weekend in the early 80's and it was -30F with windchill of -60F. Out on the lake in the fish house we would hear the ice cracking on the lake and it sounded like a train coming. Going out of the fish house was white-out - seemed like Antarctica. The little heater in the ice house couldn't keep up so we slept in our parkas and boots. To top it off, the van we drove up in wouldn't start and then when we got it going (guy from the resort took a propane torch to the oil pan to warm it up) the darn heater wouldn't work so we drove home 2 1/2 hours in an ice box.

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Its -23 C where i live and this is very cold however only a few days of the winter ever go to this temperature. Ironically Whitehorse, Yukon Territory in Canada's far north is warmer at -10C.

Shawn Pixley
01-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Those temperatures remind me of my youth. I hated it then but I could cope. We would see a couple of nights a year in the minus 20 range. Walking to school really sucked those mornings.

The coldest night I can remember was a campout with the boy scouts - about minus twenty. It also had a good wind that night. It was miserable. I think I had it better than most. Most of the scouts sat by the fire all night. I wished I had borrowed my grandfather's sleeping bag. He worked on the ALCAN highway in WWII. He had a great down bag that was too warm for anything over zero F.

The worst day I can recall was when a number of us were salvaging furniture from the Burlington Northern headquarters building in Omaha when i was in my early 20's. The night and previous days had been very cold. The building had a lot of thermal mass due to its masonry construction. The inside was bone-chillingly cold. We would leave the building to warm up in the balmy -5 weather outside.

Rich Engelhardt
01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
The 2nd worst work day of my life cold-wise was in the middle of August!
I had to install a modem in a computer located right in the middle of the cold storage building for Freshmark Foods in Canton Ohio.
They kept the building at -10F year round.
Like I said, the computer was located smack dab in the center & the building was huge - think empty Wal Mart store.
I hustled in w/my tools, worked a little then ran outside to warm up. Ran back in, worked another 30 seconds or so, then ran back out.

It took me the entire day to do a half hour job.
I mean really, you don't expect minus zero temperatures in the middle of Summer!

Most miserable was working on a down server for Akron General Hospital.
The server room was a nice frigid 50*F and the server I was working on sat right in front of the air duct.
That one was worse because I didn't have the luxury of running away to get warm.

I have no idea if the two were related or not, but, within the next two weeks I came down with a case of pneumonia that about hammered me to death.

Working outside or being outside in this stuff is bad, but, if you dress right it's not all that bad.
Still - I'm waiting until tomorrow when it's up in the 20's to run the snow blower!

Phil Thien
01-03-2014, 5:01 PM
Well I guess one upside of below zero temps is, I have a bunch of air-dried wood I just purchased stacked in the garage and below zero temperatures kills any beetle infestations. Apparently the cooling/warming/cooling is what does-in the bugs.

I'm trying to see this glass as half-full. But whatever is in the glass will be frozen solid.

BTW, back in 1994, we had (in Milwaukee) a run of several days where the low was less than about 21 or 22 degrees below zero (F). That is about 10 degrees F less than what we're expecting for Monday:

http://www.aos.wisc.edu/~sco/clim-history/stations/mke/mke-tts-1994.gif

In 1996, we hit (I think) about 27 below:

http://www.aos.wisc.edu/~sco/clim-history/stations/mke/mke-tts-1996.gif