PDA

View Full Version : I've been wondering about Russell Jennings bit sizes

Gary Herrmann
01-02-2014, 9:10 PM
I admit to having a brace bit problem.

I wonder how small/large they went.

I've seen pics of 3/16 bits. Don't have one yet, dangit.

Yes, this is a pre-gloat, but I want to finish cleaning them up before I post pics (I'm a tool pig, but use what I have). A couple of them are in amazing condition for pre Stanley acquisition.

So what is the largest size you're aware of? This is for the normal size, not the really large augers that go in machines like a Miller Falls boring machine or an auger handle.

Bill Houghton
01-02-2014, 9:54 PM
I finally managed to score a 3/16" bit in the last year or so. That diameter is right on the border of the sizes at which an eggbeater drill makes as much sense, although the auger bit is longer than most bits available for eggbeaters.

I have a couple of 1-1/2" Jennings bits, one each with coarse and fine lead screws. Either one requires either a brace with more swing than my largest (14") or arms with more strength than mine. The bits hit the wood and stop dead. And, yes, these are square-tapered brace bits; I don't know if they're for the machines or not.

Realistically, it's hard to imagine going over an inch with a brace.

Gary Herrmann
01-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Auger handles seem to work better for me with large bits. I've used my 12" brace to drill 1.5" holds in pine, but wouldn't want to do it a lot. Need to find a 14" or a 16".

Adam Maxwell
01-03-2014, 1:07 AM
Auger handles seem to work better for me with large bits. I've used my 12" brace to drill 1.5" holds in pine, but wouldn't want to do it a lot. Need to find a 14" or a 16".

Wow. I think you're better off with a T-handle, as you say; my 16" brace (a Pexto Samson 8016) had a bit of twist in the bow, so I think it's possible to overtorque the brace itself, although my largest auger is a 1". My 8014s are both in rough shape, and I strongly suspect that abuse is partly why larger-sweep braces are less common. I do have bitstock Forstners up to 1-3/8", but those don't seem to require as much torque.

I've also got a couple of Irwin 3/16" augers, and they're super easy to damage. Because of the length as Bill mentions, I might use them for a deep hole, but I prefer gimlets or ordinary twist bits at that size. I'd like to see the Jennings pattern 3/16".

Jim Koepke
01-03-2014, 3:12 AM
I found a 3/16" auger bit in the local used tool store. I don't use the #3 auger bit. A twist drill bit in an egg beater is fine for that size.

Not sure if I have a #24 (1-1/2"). I think my expansion bit can reach 2".

jtk

george wilson
01-03-2014, 9:25 AM
Are you guys sure that an eggbeater drill can supply the oomph to use a 3/16" auger with a screw tip pulling it into the wood? I have a LARGE,heavily geared down eggbeater with a chest pad that might work.

Jim,your middle sentence doesn't make any sense to me. Can you clarify?

Adam Maxwell
01-03-2014, 9:45 AM
I suspect we're all thinking of old-style drill points or high speed twist drills for eggbeater usage, George.

I've a Yankee 445? hand drill with two-jaw chuck and low gear, and it's unusable with lead-screw auger bits. Same for the Yankee 75 push brace; even a 3/16" or 1/4" auger needs low speed and high torque for control.

george wilson
01-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Twist drills are not called augers. What am I missing?

Joe Bailey
01-03-2014, 10:26 AM
I believe the OP is talking about these, not twist drills with square tapered auger bases.

Adam Maxwell
01-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Twist drills are not called augers. What am I missing?

Nothing; I think we're in violent agreement :). I (and Jim Koepke, if I understand correctly) prefer a 3/16" twist bit in an eggbeater to a 3/16" auger in a brace. My previous post was in agreement with you…in my limited experience, even a hand drill with gear reduction does not work well with an auger bit. Most hand drills have a 3-jaw chuck, anyway, so I suspect most people don't get the chance to try this.

Jim Koepke
01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Are you guys sure that an eggbeater drill can supply the oomph to use a 3/16" auger with a screw tip pulling it into the wood? I have a LARGE,heavily geared down eggbeater with a chest pad that might work.

Jim,your middle sentence doesn't make any sense to me. Can you clarify?

My only excuse is it was past my bedtime.

The sentence has been made into two and reworded.

I agree, auger bits do not work well in an eggbeater. My recent breast drill purchase removed all doubt. It has a two jaw chuck but even set to a low gear ratio stalls out with even small auger bits.

jtk

Gary Herrmann
01-03-2014, 4:52 PM
Yes, I was referring to augers. I'll post pics of my oversize set later this evening. Not a big deal or even a matched set. I just didn't know how big they got.

Michael Ray Smith
01-03-2014, 9:20 PM
Joe,

The OP mentions "Russell Jennings" bits, which I assume refers both to the manufacturer and to the pattern. The one in your picture is an Irwin pattern bit, and if you're going to use one that small in a brace, it's the one I would use. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a #3 Jennings pattern (the double-flute helix pattern without the solid core of the Irwin pattern), but in my experience they bend a lot more easily than Irwin patterns. I'd think a #3 Jennings pattern would bend way too easily. However, as always, I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong.

Adam Maxwell
01-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Yes, I was referring to augers. I'll post pics of my oversize set later this evening. Not a big deal or even a matched set. I just didn't know how big they got.

Gary, ebay auction 121215631585 shows a 2" Jennings pattern bit with a square tang, so they're at least that big. I saw a bit listed last year that was over 3" in diameter; I can't find a link to it now, but I couldn't imagine using it in a brace.

Joe Bailey
01-04-2014, 9:21 AM
Hi Michael,
You are correct, insofar as that pic is not of an RJ bit (which OP specified).
At the point in thread at which I jumped in, I was simply trying to clarify conversation, as some seemed to be discussing these:

Eric Brown
01-04-2014, 4:28 PM
Let me clarify. The information is from a Russell Jennings catalog from about 1899. They offered many different kinds of double twist augers. The standard auger, called "Patent Extension Lip Auger Bits" were made in every number size from 3 to 48 (3/16" to 3"). These were all offered with a square tapered tang that would fit a brace. However, only the sizes from 3 to 32 were normally stocked. The larger sizes were made to order. As an additional note, expansive bits were made by several makers with cutters up to 5".

Gary Herrmann
01-04-2014, 8:16 PM
I started a new thread called Pics of oversize RJ bits.

Adam - a 3" RJ bit? Yikes. I didn't like using a brace for my 2".