PDA

View Full Version : How to Keep Feet Warm Outside

Rich Riddle
01-02-2014, 8:08 PM
We are attending an outdoor playoff game on Sunday. It's supposed to be cold and one party gets cold feet literally. The Internet reviews of battery socks don't look well. How should one keep his feet warm? Do you know a practical and reasonable way to keep them warm at the game?

Fortunately we have front row seats so we won't have to stand because someone in front of us stands.

Dave Richards
01-02-2014, 8:12 PM
I'd get a pair of these (http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Bugaboot%E2%84%A2-Plus-II-Omni-Heat%C2%AE/BM3876,default,pd.html). They keep my feet toasty warm even in the cold temps we've been experiencing here.

Stephen Cherry
01-02-2014, 8:16 PM
Cotton Kills

Pat Barry
01-02-2014, 8:19 PM
My bride gave me a pair of these (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11843298&lmdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413987.4417989.4418038) for Christmas. I spent about 8 hours this weekend standing on a frozen lake ice fishing and my feet were warm and toasty like I never thought possible. My toes were always frozen in a short time with my old pac boots. She didn't tell me they cost this much or I would have told her to take them back, but not now that I have used them. They are great.

Bruce Volden
01-02-2014, 8:31 PM
o
Cotton Kills
Assuming you have the boots etal. Polyprolyene socks (1st layer) followed by a pair of good thick wool blended socks! Add a little enthusiasm for the home team and you should be all set. Total cost----< $20.00! You're welcome. I also ice fish and it has been VERY cold here as of late---we're driving full sized pick ups on the ice already!!!

Bruce

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2014, 8:39 PM
Do a couple things BEFORE you get to game. Moisture is the cause of cold feet. Spray feet with anti-perspirant deoderant I use Suave with powder, as it cheap. Don't ride with the head blowing on your feet,as it will make them sweat

Pat Barry
01-02-2014, 8:55 PM
Another idea (on the cheap side). Bring along a doubled-up piece of corrugated cardboard to keep your feet off the concrete. Either that or a carpet square or best yet, a piece of styrofoam. Basically anything to keep from standing on the concrete.

Dan Hintz
01-02-2014, 9:09 PM
And don't forget the simple trick of chemical hand warmers down in the socks...

Rich Riddle
01-02-2014, 9:38 PM
Another idea (on the cheap side). Bring along a doubled-up piece of corrugated cardboard to keep your feet off the concrete. Either that or a carpet square or best yet, a piece of styrofoam. Basically anything to keep from standing on the concrete.

Pat, thanks for that idea. I have front row seats so won't be standing, but can bring those to the game to place under our feet anyway.

Brian Ashton
01-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Pat, thanks for that idea. I have front row seats so won't be standing, but can bring those to the game to place under our feet anyway.

Don't forget your backside also. A bit of carpet goes a long way.

Jeff Erbele
01-03-2014, 12:31 AM
I've never used electric socks and chemical warmers. They may work but if they do, only for a little while.

Dress for the weather. Its winter and you will be sitting on what. Summer pants and tennis shoes or like dress is ill-prepared.
Not knowing which game, where or the weather, my suggestion is insulated winter boots, insulated coveralls with a hood, a hooded sweat shirt, a good winter cap and insulated gloves. If it is really cold wear a pair of light gloves inside insulated mittens. Working mittens have a finger for the index finger (trigger finger) and a slit in the palm with a weather flap if you need your fingers for tasks.

Gloves and caps that the wind blows thru (knit style), only do any good if they are covered with another layer to stop the wind and instant heat loss.

The first rule of winter survival is never uncover your head. Most of your body is lost thru your head; over 60% and higher. While heat is lost thru your head it shows up first in the extremities with cold toes, feet, fingers and hands.

Equally important is dress in layers. Never sweat, never get wet. If you start to get warm, start opening zippers. Remove or ventilate layers as needed. Reverse the procedure as soon as you start to feel chilly.

Insulated coverall suggestions, durable for work - Carhart; or the type sold in sporting goods stores worn by snowmobiler's an skiers. Pants legs have zippers for ventilation and so you can get get in and out of them with your boots on. All zippers are bi-directional, covered with a wind flap and snaps.

Head gear - you may get buy with a knot cap. I prefer true winter head gear, insulated, with insulated visor for the forehead, and ear flaps; better yet on that covers the neck and chin. I don't know that you need that for a foot ball game. Your friend will know by the 4th quarter, but then it is too late :rolleyes:

Take a stadium cushion, piece of foam or corrugated cardboard, to sit on, and as previously suggested the same for under your feet.

Stay hydrated and avoid alcohol.
If you have the proper clothing and use it correctly, you will not get cold at a football game.

Bonafide North Dakota native, outdoors man deer hunter, ice fisherman, and Army Winter Operations Instructor; worked, lived and slept outdoors in Artic conditions for weeks at a time, navigating on snowshoes & skies, towing gear and supplies on akio sleds.

Don Morris
01-03-2014, 1:14 AM
When you really get serious about wanting cold weather gear, go to the Technical Advantage Gear site. They are the people who supply the arctic, antarctic expedition, iditarod dog sled race people: http://www.tadvgear.com/. Their tech talk parallels Jeff Erbele and even gets more detailed about cold weather gear design. I have a pair of their gloves because my fingers got slightly frost bit in Chicago while skating as a kid. Their gloves/mittens, while not cheap, are warm...I would imagine their other gear functions similarly.

Myk Rian
01-03-2014, 7:59 AM
Like Dan said, they make toe and hand warmers. They work great.
The toe warmers are flatter than hand warmers, so they don't bulk-up in your socks.

Brian W Smith
01-03-2014, 8:08 AM
4 season motorcyclist here.Have gear that will keep me riding in weather colder than a bike should be operating.Once temperatures get below about 20*F(wind chills off the chart,at speed),Sealskinz socks get broken out.The engine will seize up before your feet get cold.Got them at a backpacking joint.Blue Ridge Mnt. sports?

Andrew Fleck
01-03-2014, 8:42 AM
Get a pair of boot blankets. Just type that into amazon or google and you will see what I'm talking about. I use those in my tree stand when it's really cold outside. You just put them on right over your boots. My feet stay warm and comfortable for hours in very cold weather. You just carry them with you and slip them on whenever you want. Here is a link. http://www.amazon.com/IceBreaker-Blanket-Large-Mossy-Breakup/dp/B0002EET0Q

Harold Burrell
01-03-2014, 9:20 AM
When it is really cold, I would go with this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-60hz-smart-hdtv/1511709.p;jsessionid=97F3A80ABCD60650AF5D94B457368 8B0.bbolsp-app02-124?id=1219053212756&skuId=1511709&st=pcmcat193400050018_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=10

(Sorry...couldn't resist. ;))

Jim Becker
01-03-2014, 9:26 AM
Foot warmers can help, but it's also critical that your boots are not too tight! You need a little air space. If your socks make your boots too snug, you'll be colder, rather than warmer. ;)

Phil Thien
01-03-2014, 9:36 AM
Carhartt boot socks. They make several different versions, you can find them at Farm and Fleet type shops. You are looking for mostly wool ones (80% wool). Amazing stuff.

mike holden
01-03-2014, 11:42 AM
I have spent many winters iceboating, and the best method I have found is neoprene socks. My wife wore them with a thin liner, I wore them without. Feet first, into the wind at 30 knots and my feet stayed toasty warm.
Mike

Ole Anderson
01-03-2014, 1:04 PM
And keep in mind that what works well for one person will still allow another's feet to get cold just because we all have different blood circulation levels in our hands and feet. Diabetics are particularly prone to poor circulation. I have been snowmobiling for 40 years and if it is going to get really cold I go with a pair of thin polypropylene socks under medium wool socks under my Sorel Caribou boots. My feet sweat easily so I may try Bruce's anti-perspirant trick. Farther up I first layer with Under Armor Cold Gear polyester long johns, followed by flannel lined jeans and a flannel shirt with a layer of fleece just under my two piece snowmobile suit.

Charles Wiggins
01-03-2014, 1:26 PM
Carhartt boot socks. They make several different versions, you can find them at Farm and Fleet type shops. You are looking for mostly wool ones (80% wool). Amazing stuff.

Wool socks usually do it for me.

David Helm
01-03-2014, 2:16 PM
So, what game are you going to?

Jim Matthews
01-03-2014, 3:08 PM
Lifted from Mike Holden, above - "the best method I have found is neoprene socks."

I wear the original Bogs boots (http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/51377-001.html), which are completely lined with Neoprene.
Same pair, six years now - no leaks, no odor, no sweat.

They're wind resistant and essentially water proof.

Here's a trick for people who get really cold hands and feet -
apply antiperspirant to the palms of the hands and soles of the feet before gloves and socks.

Rich Riddle
01-03-2014, 6:32 PM
So, what game are you going to?
San Diego and Cincinnati.

Myk Rian
01-03-2014, 8:37 PM
When it is really cold, I would go with this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-60hz-smart-hdtv/1511709.p;jsessionid=97F3A80ABCD60650AF5D94B457368 8B0.bbolsp-app02-124?id=1219053212756&skuId=1511709&st=pcmcat193400050018_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=10
Nah. It's only 60hz refresh rate.

Brian Ashton
01-03-2014, 9:23 PM
Stay hydrated and avoid alcohol.

I was with you all the way till you said…

Craig D Peltier
01-05-2014, 3:49 PM
For Christmas my wife got a pillow that has cutouts for your feet with elastic necks sticking out of them to wrap your ankles. This would be perfect : ) She got it as a joke gift but they would be toasty.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2014, 6:10 PM
Back from the game and stayed warm and dry for the most part. It didn't really start to rain until the fourth quarter and the temperature stayed near forty degrees most of the game. Lots of folks to block the wind, so that didn't seem bad either. Wore two sets of socks, gloves, boots, regular clothes and insulated coveralls, a coat, hat, ear muffs, and had a poncho.

John Shuk
01-09-2014, 9:37 AM
Don't wear cotton socks, wear insulated boots and DO NOT put theater on your feet before hand. If they sweat they will get cold. Many years of working outdoors have taught me well. Staying warm is just like anything else. Preparation and best practices pay dividends.

Myk Rian
01-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Another sock option is Alpaca socks. 7 to 10 times warmer than wool, and wick the sweat better because Alpaca don't produce lanolin in the wool.