PDA

View Full Version : Wall shelving mounting question

scott vroom
01-02-2014, 3:40 PM
I'm building this contemporary shelf, to be wall mounted. Vertical boards will be 3/4" soft maple. Was going to use a keyhole router bit to cut mounting slots at the top and bottom of the 2 vertical boards (obviously on the 3/4" edge). Any other suggestions/alternatives? Shelves are only 6" deep and will hold lightweight items so weight isn't a problem. One advantage of the keyhole slots is that (if precisely positioned) will hold the shelf tight to the wall.

Dick Mahany
01-02-2014, 4:24 PM
Sounds like it would work fine although leveling might be a challenge. Another possibility might be a half-dovetail along the rear of one of the horizontal shelves and a mini French Cleat that could be leveled more easily although it would more difficult to hide. I like the design.

scott vroom
01-02-2014, 4:33 PM
Thanks for the response, Dick. Yeah, I agree with the leveling issue. I think the key there is to use stops on the router table to make sure the keyhole slots are identical on the 2 vertical boards, both top and bottom. French cleat would work except don't want to see it.

Sam Murdoch
01-02-2014, 4:56 PM
You can use a keyhole mount that is mortised into the verts. That way simply attaching them exactly on the verts will make hanging level easy.

Brian Tymchak
01-03-2014, 8:21 AM
Thanks for the response, Dick. Yeah, I agree with the leveling issue. I think the key there is to use stops on the router table to make sure the keyhole slots are identical on the 2 vertical boards, both top and bottom. French cleat would work except don't want to see it.

I like the design!

Actually, I don't think it matters where you put the slots on the verticles or even if the slots are level wrt one another. Where it will matter wrt leveling the piece on the wall is to set the wall anchors in the proper spot wrt the keyholes. I would hang one top corner, then hold the shelves level and mark the wall where to set the anchor for the opposing bottom corner. That should get you level. The other 2 corners are easy to mark now.

I like those keyhole mounts Sam shows. That would make the keyholes a lot more durable.

Mike Bain
01-03-2014, 8:44 AM
I use dowel centers in the keyhole slots. Then place my level on a shelf and transfer to the wall.
As long as your slots are the same it works great.
Mike

Joe A Faulkner
01-03-2014, 8:50 AM
[QUOTE=scott vroom;2202396]Thanks for the response, Dick. Yeah, I agree with the leveling issue. I think the key there is to use stops on the router table to make sure the keyhole slots are identical on the 2 vertical boards, both top and bottom. French cleat would work except don't want to see it.[/QUOTE

In theory, you wouldn't see the cleat, unless of course you happened to be the guy who built the shelf, then you would see it every time you walked in the room :). I think your keyhole approach is a good way to go.